Windows 10: cannot attach file 0 bytes

Discus and support cannot attach file 0 bytes in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i cannot attached files in my easy mail account, they say 0 bytes & cannot download, but when using my gmail it works ok, im using windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by allan dowd, Jan 23, 2023.

1. cannot attach file 0 bytes

i cannot attached files in my easy mail account, they say 0 bytes & cannot download, but when using my gmail it works ok, im using windows 10

:)

allan dowd, Jan 23, 2023
  2. hfrmobile Win User

Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

Continuation of Redirecting

CAUTION: Please to not ask/suggest "file repair" stuff as in the original question since it will lead to no output/solution/answer!

The files are valid/okay. In my point of view there are two possibilities:

• Simply a "display" bug in Windows File Explorer for files <1K
    • Some specialty of the NTFS I do not know (see also for "file system tunneling - possible that files are changed, before they are created")
    e.g. A text file which is 72 byte:

cannot attach file 0 bytes 3007eaf0-535d-4933-be9f-88adfd30e9ce?upload=true.png

But "Size on disk" claiming 0 bytes...

When I add (enough) text to the (text) file it changes from "0 bytes" to 4K:

cannot attach file 0 bytes f395e8f9-16c6-4028-a50b-7e10e80aea46?upload=true.png

When I remove the added text, "4,00 KB (4 096 bytes) will remain...

When I create then a copy of that file, the new file has again "0 bytes" on disk (don't forget, the file has 72 bytes)...

Info: Disk sector - Wikipedia

(so, the sector size on my HDD is 4 KB.... or KiB but each "IT human" knows about the 1024 factor so it is clear what KB means... - an it seems that Microsoft shares my opinion since the avoid the kibibyte nonsense ;-))

Would be nice to know the background if it. Many thanks to everybody, doing clarification on that, in advance!

--

hfrmobile, Jan 23, 2023
  3. Camera Win User
    Bad Image Errors - dll files changing to 0 bytes

Hi
    Have an unusual problem (to me anyway)

Last week I got "Bad Image" errors with Adobe Lightroom (the program had worked OK previously). Two .dll files were listed as corrupt and in Explorer both were shown has having 0 bytes size. Re-installation resolved the problem.
    Today I have had the same "bad image" error with another program. Techsmith SnagIt. Once again it was .dll files and they show in explorer as 0 bytes. The timestamp on the 0 byte dlls is the time of the error i.e. today (not when the files were installed).

What I've done so far :
    Ran McAfee viruscan across all disks - no problems reported.
    Ran Malwarebytes - no problems reported

Went to the properties for the disk drive and under "Tools" ran error check - nothing found
    The disk is an SSD so I went to Samsung Magician which shows drive condition as good and S.M.A.R.T. shows wear levelling count at Current Value 99. I do not use Rapid Mode.

The problems are happening on a Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

Any suggestions welcome

Dave

Camera, Jan 23, 2023
  4. cannot attach file 0 bytes

NTFS problem: 0 byte file but "Size On Disk: 3.98 GB"

By using a Python script, I managed to mistakenly create a 4GB file on an NTFS USB drive with a colon in the filename. The resulting file name was all of the text up until the colon, but the file is listed as being 0 bytes. BUT when I check the file properties
    it says "Size On Disk: 3.98 GB (4,282,056,704 bytes)". When I used a file recovery program such as Recuva and MiniTool Power Data Recovery, all 4GB seem to copy to another drive, but it still shows that it's 0 bytes (Size On Disk 3.98 GB).

Any advice as to what I could try next to fix this issue?

The file cannot be replaced easily so I'd like to get it back.

I'm not averse to low level disk editing if it comes to that.

Thanks in advance!

Scott_Bernstein, Jan 23, 2023
Thema:

cannot attach file 0 bytes

1. cannot attach file 0 bytes - Similar Threads - cannot attach file

2. Can't delete 0 byte .exe file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete 0 byte .exe file: Hello folk, so last night I was downloading things and downloaded this .exe which was worth 0 bytes, I put it through virus total and nothing came up so I ran it. Nothing happened or so I thought so I tried to delete it, when I tried to delete it I was met with a window...
  3. Can't delete 0 byte .exe file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete 0 byte .exe file: Hello folk, so last night I was downloading things and downloaded this .exe which was worth 0 bytes, I put it through virus total and nothing came up so I ran it. Nothing happened or so I thought so I tried to delete it, when I tried to delete it I was met with a window...
  4. cannot attach file 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot attach file 0 bytes: i cannot attached files in my easy mail account, they say 0 bytes & cannot download, but when using my gmail it works ok, im using windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-attach-file-0-bytes/2062f401-2774-4fe9-b2d9-c92282d1dd18
  5. cannot attach file 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot attach file 0 bytes: i cannot attached files in my easy mail account, they say 0 bytes & cannot download, but when using my gmail it works ok, im using windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-attach-file-0-bytes/2062f401-2774-4fe9-b2d9-c92282d1dd18
  6. Deleting empty directories and 0 byte files

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting empty directories and 0 byte files: Is it save and should I delete empty directories and 0 byte files just to clean things up? If it is a good idea is there a tool to find them? 179888
  7. Backup Size 0 Bytes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Size 0 Bytes: Originally posted with my other account, but can't receive notifications with that one so I'm copying the same one to here Hi! I have a Windows 10 on a Lenovo Flex 14. For the past couple of months I have not been able to make any successful backups, because every time I...
  8. 0 bytes Files, Drive failure

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    0 bytes Files, Drive failure: Hi, I have recently met a problem with my Data Drive. Alot of my Files have been appearing as 0kb and unusable, many of them video files that I remember watching just fine a few months ago (2-3 months). Some game files have also been turning 0kb, making some of my Steam...
  9. How to Delete 0 Byte Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Delete 0 Byte Files: Hello, Searching this forum for a means to delete 0 byte video files I came across a solution by BD45960 who suggests: Run CMD (aka Command Prompt) Use: del (File Location)\File Name* example: File Name: Ledgers CPB (1) <---note the space at end of file name (*...
  10. Strange 0 byte files

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange 0 byte files: I'm curious what these files are that are on some of my internal HD's partitions. The file name is a random (apparently) string of characters, 'type of file: file', 'size: 0 bytes', 'owner: system'. What are these? Do I need them? 52090