Windows 10: Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile

Discus and support Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am unable to either backup this file using File History, or copy it using a Robocopy script. Robocopy simply "skips" it, according to the result of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IvanDenisovich, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile

I am unable to either backup this file using File History, or copy it using a Robocopy script. Robocopy simply "skips" it, according to the result of the script from the cmd command.

I suspect is has to do with all the permissions requirements, but have made sure I log in as an administrator who has all priviliges for this windowsimagefile.

Any ideas? All help appreciated.

:)

IvanDenisovich, Jul 28, 2020
  2. KingNeil2 Win User

Robocopy backup won't work

I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line:

robocopy Documents J:\robocopy /e

This command works fine on my laptop

But it would not work on my desktop computer for some reason

It just shows the very command that I typed over and over again repeating the command over and over on a new line each time, and it doesn't copy the files. There is no explanation for why.

On the other hand, using Windows Backup / File History works just fine, but I don't want to use Windows Backup because I don't like the format that the files are saved in.

Why isn't Robocopy working? How do I solve this?

KingNeil2, Jul 28, 2020
  3. Robocopy Error 2 - copyying folder in dropbox

I have successfully created and used the following batch file in windows10

robocopy C:\Users\Julie\Documents\Test C:\Users\Julie\Documents\accounts-backup
    pause

However when I run the batch below to copy the contents of a folder in Dropbox I get

ERROR 2 (0x00000002) Accessing Source Directory C:\Users\Julie\Dropbox\accounts\
    The system cannot find the file specified.

robocopy C:\Users\Julie\Dropbox\accounts C:\Users\Julie\Documents\accounts-backup
    pause

Any suggestions to resolve this

ColinKinsella, Jul 28, 2020
  4. Bokenzhe Win User

Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile

1. Cannot backup or robocopy windowsimagefile - Similar Threads - Cannot backup robocopy

2. Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible: I've been using Robocopy for years to backup folders. All of a sudden, my backup folders and files are no longer visible or accessible. I've tried removing system and hidden file attributes which I never had to do before but that didn't help. I've also tried all the...
  3. Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Robocopy Backup Files are no longer visible or accessible: I've been using Robocopy for years to backup folders. All of a sudden, my backup folders and files are no longer visible or accessible. I've tried removing system and hidden file attributes which I never had to do before but that didn't help. I've also tried all the...
  4. Backup and compare with robocopy not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and compare with robocopy not working: I've backed up the Windows folder from a Windows 10 boot drive with robocopy F:\Windows E:\roboRubi\Windowsz /mir Both source and target drives are attached to internal SATA ports. None of the two drives (source and target) is the boot drive I'm booted into. I'm using an...
  5. Offline image backup of OS: Robocopy ok?

Offline image backup of OS: Robocopy ok?: Hi there! I would like to do an offline image backup of my OS-drive. I'm only interested in the OS itself. The data is backed up separately (and resides on a different drive). For high security, I'd like to avoid using any third party software. I will be installing win 10...
  6. Backup with robocopy file count and size are different

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup with robocopy file count and size are different: I always try to keep up 3 copies and found the tool robocopy /mir as very useful. After some years I run into a big issue. Why there is such a big discrepancy in file size and count eating up the space on my external drive? See attached screenshot: [ATTACH] If I compare...
  7. Robocopy backup to NAS does not work : "Access is denied"

Robocopy backup to NAS does not work : "Access is denied": I'm trying to backup a directory on my laptop to my NAS with a script : robocopy D:\Videos "Z:\Shared Videos" /MIR /XJ When I run the script, I get the error message "Access is denied." However, in the File Explorer I can drag-and-drop files to the NAS. Also with iPhone...
  8. Tough Command Line Backup using Robocopy or Xcopy

Tough Command Line Backup using Robocopy or Xcopy: I must backup my BSOD'd PC from the command line before re-installing Windows 10, but Robocopy is glacially slow and Xcopy emits"Insufficient Memory" (due to long pathnames). I am now running Windows 10 from a USB 3.0 drive downloaded from MSft which brought me to [Install...
  9. robocopy backup of important files

robocopy backup of important files: hi, I have a standard Windows 10 build and I'm using y to backup my data to an external drive. The goal is just to capture all my data so if the PC fails/gets stolen etc. I can restore my data on to another PC. I'm doing a backup of c:\users\ as this seems to capture...
  10. Robocopy backup won't work

Robocopy backup won't work: I tried to use the built-in Windows program called Robocopy to back up my files using the following command on the command line: robocopy Documents J:\robocopy /e This command works fine on my laptop But it would not work on my desktop computer for some reason It...