Windows 10: Cannot Boot After Formatting Hard Drive

Discus and support Cannot Boot After Formatting Hard Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I recently cloned my entire HDD including my Windows OS onto an NVME M.2 SSD successfully and wanted to use the old hard drive as extra storage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KyleSong2, Jul 24, 2021.

1. KyleSong2 Win User

Cannot Boot After Formatting Hard Drive

Hello, I recently cloned my entire HDD including my Windows OS onto an NVME M.2 SSD successfully and wanted to use the old hard drive as extra storage space. I found a video online explaining the process of formatting my HDD which I followed carefully. Unfortunately, my PC cannot successfully boot and brings me to a blue screen that says I need to load a proper boot or recovery device. Is there any way I can recover from this accident without requiring a clean install of Windows 10?My BIOS indicates the following boot option priorities in order from left to right; Windows Boot Manager Samsu

:)

KyleSong2, Jul 24, 2021
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Formatting a dual boot system with windows 10 and ubuntu

Hi,

In Windows 10, you can easily format a hard drive or a partition by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Jul 24, 2021
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    want to Format a La Cie External Drive Because the Software Genie 9 has too many versions of backup.

Hello,

To format an external USB or an external hard drive you can easily do it by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Jul 24, 2021
  4. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Jul 24, 2021
Thema:

1. Cannot Boot After Formatting Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Cannot Boot Formatting

2. hard drive isn't formatting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hard drive isn't formatting: Sir, my windows was crashed when my laptop fell from the table. Most of my data in hdd was corrupt. But the important data was 50% recovered. Then I bought a ssd and tried to trasnfer important data from hdd to ssd. Then I formatted hdd but it shows 465GB of unallocated...
  3. Cannot Format External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Format External Hard Drive: Not able to format my external hard drive as it says it is write protected, ok fine then maybe I'll try to remove the read only attributes but no no no, when I remove the read only attributes from both my disk and volume of that hard drive as most would suggest. After...
  4. Formatting of boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting of boot drive: Hey guys, so i tried to install windows the other day in my friend's laptop and to do so , i created an iso of my windows and created a boot drive of my sd card. This helped him to install it. But now when i was free after class, i inserted sd card in android and deleted...
  5. Formating a hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formating a hard drive.: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  6. Formating Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formating Hard Drives: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  7. Format hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Format hard drive: I cannot do updates because I am out of disk space but I cannot figure out how to free up disk space. I've deleted all unneeded program files and want to just reformat the hard drive. The option to reformat is grayed out, however. Sometimes the laptop will give me a gray...
  8. Hard Drive fills up after format

Hard Drive fills up after format: Before I start, I must say that I am completely new to these forums. I literally just made an account so I could get some help with this problem. I apologise beforehand if my formatting or general mannerisms are not right. There's a TL;DR at the bottom for those who don't...
  9. formatting a hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    formatting a hard drive: does anyone know how to format a hard drive to load and run windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-hard-drive/398827f9-3683-4e2c-a621-a32071e1d680
  10. Cannot Format my External Hard drive

Cannot Format my External Hard drive: When I plug my external into my pc it tells me it's unable to use and to format the drive. So I try to do so, and Windows tells me that there's a program using the external drive. I attempt to format anyway since I know there's no programs using the drive, and after a...