Windows 10: Cannot boot from a bootable flash drive when using Win10 with UEFI

Discus and support Cannot boot from a bootable flash drive when using Win10 with UEFI in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I’m using a Dell i3670 purchased new a few months ago. Win10 and EUFI are factory installed. The computer runs fine. How can I boot/restore using an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jim8080, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Jim8080 Win User

Cannot boot from a bootable flash drive when using Win10 with UEFI

I’m using a Dell i3670 purchased new a few months ago. Win10 and EUFI are factory installed. The computer runs fine.

How can I boot/restore using an image file on a flash
    drive?

With BIOS/MBR, it was easy. I changed the boot order so the flash drive was checked first. If a flash drive was connected to the USB port, it booted or at least started, and normally I was asked to specify the external drive containing the image file, etc. If I accidentally used a non-bootable flash drive, the screen said “no system”

UEFI is a different story, and I tried two approaches. In both cases, I had a legacy Bootable Flash
    drive connected to the most likely boot port. I don’t know which of two ports is correct, but tried to use both most potential ports.

Choice 1: I used F2 during startup, and the setup screen appeared. I went to Settings>General>Boot Sequence. Normal choices are Windows Boot Manager, Onboard (IPV4), and Onboard (IPV6). There is also a Boot Option area where UEFI and Legacy can be selected, but legacy is greyed out.

I clicked Add Boot Option, and the Boot Option window appeared,
    with three places to list information:

Name the Boot option

File System, which lists:
    PciRoot(0x0)/PCi(0x7.oxo)/Sata(0x1/HD(1.gpt,8382e$ba-20e4-4ES8-8A7S-B7PC2408X764

List the file name

I didn’t know what to do, so stopped.

Choice 2: Settings>Update and Security>Recovery>Advanced startup>Restart Now>Three choices appeared. I selected "Use a Device". Comments for this choice said: “Use a USB device, Network Connection, Windows Recovery DVD”.

Three choices were given:

UEFI DVD +-RW DU-8A5LH
    Onboard NIC(IPV4)
    Onboard NIC(IPV6)

I did not have a DVD with a UEFI format, but tried a
    legacy bootable DVD, which did nothing. I tried IPVV4, and the computer started normally, not from the flash drive.

Jim

:)

Jim8080, Feb 12, 2019

2. Install Windows 10 using UEFI bootable USB thumb drive

You need to go into you system bios and select allow uefi usb drive. Then add the UEFI usb drive to the boot menu

better way to partition aand create an bootable usb.

For the UEFI system, we can use these steps to create the bootable USB:

1.Locate a 4GB or larger USB flash drive

2.Open Diskpart and run the following command cmd admin type diskpart

• Type DiskPart in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "Exit".

Copy your ISO files to the drive and reboot

never use UEFI it better to repartition and remove UEFI go with legacy bois

bfvetscolakid, Feb 12, 2019
  3. Question about creation of bootable UEFI only Win10 USB flash drive with Diskpart

Hi,

I have a UEFI boot laptop (not Legacy BIOS).

If I was to use Diskpart to create a Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive for UEFI only would the following commands be correct? If my understanding is correct there is no need for the "Active" command to be typed in as it isn't required for UEFI bootable
    PC's/laptops or have I got that wrong?

diskpart

list disk

select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive

clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure it is the USB flash drive!

create partition primary

select partition 1

format fs=fat32

exit

Also, just as a matter of interest. Would it also be possible to do this procedure using Disk Management? Obviously you would have to perform the "Clean" command using Diskpart first as that command isn't available in Disk Management as far as I know

Sportsfan_881, Feb 12, 2019
  4. Chewy Win User

Ipod bootable drive?

I want to know if I can make my ipod a usb bootable drive.. will it mess up my ipod? I need to flash my video card back to normal.. Neros bootable cd gave me an error. I used a step by step guide, but thats another story.

Chewy, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot boot from a bootable flash drive when using Win10 with UEFI - Similar Threads - Cannot boot bootable

2. How to create a bootable win10 flash drive skipping installation on boot?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to create a bootable win10 flash drive skipping installation on boot?: I tried creating a bootable flash drive with windows media creation kit and rufus, and when I try to boot from it everything works but when I get to the partitions it doesn't detect anything (enough though the installation itself is running off of the flash drive?) I'm...
  3. Clone of a Bootable Flash Drive will not Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Clone of a Bootable Flash Drive will not Boot: I'm attempting to make a clone of a bootable flash drive containing the Prime Expert Emergency Book kit using EraseUs Partition Master. The clone seems to seems the same contents as the original, but the drive is not bootable. Cockpit error?Possible, but earlier I used Aomei...
  4. Create a bootable flash drive for a UEFI system (not Legacy Boot mode)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create a bootable flash drive for a UEFI system (not Legacy Boot mode): Below are two examples of instructions I was given a couple of years ago for creating a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive in order to be able to clean install Windows 10 on a UEFI boot only PC (not Legacy Boot mode). To create bootable UEFI USB flash drive for installing...
  5. Create a bootable flash drive for a UEFI system (not Legacy Boot mode)

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a bootable flash drive for a UEFI system (not Legacy Boot mode): Below are two examples of instructions I was given a couple of years ago for creating a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive in order to be able to clean install Windows 10 on a UEFI boot only PC (not Legacy Boot mode). To create bootable UEFI USB flash drive for installing...
  6. Cannot boot from a bootable flash drive when using Win10 with UEFI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot boot from a bootable flash drive when using Win10 with UEFI: I’m using a Dell i3670 purchased new a few months ago. Win10 and EUFI are factory installed. The computer runs fine. How can I boot/restore using an image file on a flash drive? With BIOS/MBR, it was easy. I changed the boot order so the flash drive was checked first. If a...
  7. How do I Install win10 on a hard drive using a bootable flash drive?

How do I Install win10 on a hard drive using a bootable flash drive?: I downloaded the Media Creation tool and used it and Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. I'm ready to use the flash drive for a clean install. There's a tutorial covering this topic - I read it last night, but cannot find it today. Can someone help? I remember there were...
  8. Create bootable UEFI Defrag Flash Drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Create bootable UEFI Defrag Flash Drive?: Here is the issue I am currently at: I have a Surface Pro 4 that I want to set up a Dual Boot on. I normally wouldn't have too much of an issue resolving this on my own, but due to the Surface Pro 4 not supporting Legacy flash drives, my standard way (Booting into a MBR...
  9. Query for others who use Rufus to create a bootable Win10 flash drive

Query for others who use Rufus to create a bootable Win10 flash drive: Ive been playing around with various methods for creating a Bootable Windows 10 flash drive to clean install Windows 10. Ive always used the Media Creation Tool to Download/Create the USB until recently it no longer works for me. You guys on here gave me instructions on...
  10. Questions on creating Win10 Bootable Flash drive using Diskpart method

Questions on creating Win10 Bootable Flash drive using Diskpart method: Hi all, 1.When using Diskpart to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive is it not necessary to use the Assign command at all. Ive noticed some instructions where Assign is used and others where it isn't. What happens if I don't use the Assign command when preparing the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Cannot boot from a bootable flash drive when using Win10 with UEFI

2. dell i3670 dual uefi boot