Windows 10: Cannot boot from CD in new Dell 3847 w/Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Cannot boot from CD in new Dell 3847 w/Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Dell 3847 Inspiron with Windows 10 Home OS. I can change the BIOS to boot from ODD as the primary but system still boots to Windows. Dell support had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DaleM, May 2, 2016.

1. DaleM Win User

Cannot boot from CD in new Dell 3847 w/Windows 10 Home

Dell 3847 Inspiron with Windows 10 Home OS. I can change the BIOS to boot from ODD as the primary but system still boots to Windows. Dell support had me update chipset drivers but no luck. After an hour of trial and error they then wanted to transfer me to someone that I had to pay for support. I gave up.

I have CD to clone my drive and it works in 3 other Dell PCs I have so I know the CD is good. There are options in the BIOS I've never seen such as Security Boot Control (disabled), Load Legacy OPROM (enabled), Boot Mode (EUFI), etc. First boot device is set to Internal ODD Devices and second boot device is set to EUFI: Windows Boot Manger.

The CD/DVD drive in the PC is good as it'll recognize any CD I put in there after Windows boots, so Windows recognizes it.

Any trick to getting this PC to boot to the CD so I can try to clone the factory hard disk to an SDD unit?

Thanks

:)

DaleM, May 2, 2016

2. Cannot boot into the new Dell 3847 Windows 10 machine

*Original Title: just got new Dell 3847 cannot get onto computer

I took my new Dell 3847 out-of-the-box set it up, turned it on, started set up, entered my Microsoft email address and password then system crashed. When I restarted it it went to a password screen wanting other user name and password which was never set
    up yet. Have not been able to figure out how to get the computer to allow me to go back and reset up the Microsoft username email and password so I can get into Windows. It wants me to enter a USB password updater but I have never reset that yet that system
    crash before I got that setup. Can anyone help.?

BruceBarbre, May 2, 2016
  3. Windows Media Player not installed on my Dell #3847

Dell Inspiron Model # 3847 (3 yrs old), with windows 10 installed.

does not appear to have "Windows Media Player" installed?

If not installed how then can music from CD's be ripped and loaded into the computer???

RonaldMorin, May 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, your PC is using UEFI; is your CD UEFI compatible?
    What you are seeing is exactly what happens if you use a non-UEFI CD with a UEFI based system.
    You say it works on other PCs - do those use UEFI or traditional BIOS?

If your CD is not UEFI compatible, you should be able to boot from it with your UEFI PC if you can select CSM mode (legacy boot) in your BIOS.

But note you'd need to set it back again to boot your PC normally.

Better solution: get an updated version of the CD

Example:
    How to Fix Issue Booting to DVD/CD with New UEFI BIOS Boot Order - YouTube

dalchina, May 2, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Advanced Startup Options - Boot to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

"Use a device" option.

If you use Macrium Reflect Free to clone and/or image your drive you don't have to use an external boot media.

One method if you have a USB adapter to connect the SSD to USB and have more than 50% free on your hard drive:
    Create an NTFS partition on the blank SSD. Use Macrium Reflect Free to save an image of the entire hard drive (all partitions) onto the SSD. Once the image file is created on the SSD, copy it back to the Hard Drive. Then delete the partition on the SSD and restore the image now saved on the hard drive to it. Imaging has proven to work better then cloning, at least with Macrium Reflect.

NavyLCDR, May 2, 2016
  6. DaleM Win User
    That's kind of what I though. Seems I'd run into compatibility with legacy vs. something or other in the past on a new machine and changing it to legacy would allow the PC to boot. I'm wondering if I can get it to boot with legacy settings, after cloning the drive will the new drive need to have the BIOS reset to UEFI? I'm thinking it will. The YouTube video looks like that'll help - just have to remember what settings I change so I can set them back again. If not I'll see about getting a newer version of the CD that'll boot to UEFI.

Thanks for the leads...

DaleM, May 2, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
Thema:

1. Cannot boot from CD in new Dell 3847 w/Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Cannot boot Dell

2. Dell Inspiron 537s won’t boot from CD/DVD drive. Cannot reinstall Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell Inspiron 537s won’t boot from CD/DVD drive. Cannot reinstall Win10: Everything is working perfectly on my computer however if I try to watch a live feed from a local TV station or from CNN for example the audio keeps going but the video keeps freezing or is really jerky witch is annoying and I am not sure how to fix this.About a week and a...
  3. Help installing windows on Dell Inspiron 3847 with new HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help installing windows on Dell Inspiron 3847 with new HDD: I've had a Dell Inspiron pretty much as long as it's been out and I started using for the first time in a while and noticed it was slow and got a 4TB Western Digital HDD to fix it. Because the HDDs were different I couldn't just copy the OS, and had to install windows 8.1 on...
  4. cannot use a new cd in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cannot use a new cd in windows 10: How do I use a new cd in Windows 10? When I try, I get message saying to format - when trying to "format", I get message saying unable to & the cd is ejected....
  5. Dell Inspiron 3847 Windows 10 Won't Turn On.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dell Inspiron 3847 Windows 10 Won't Turn On.: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 3847 that is about 4-5 years old. About a month ago it began having issues powering on and off, it would hang up when I tried to power it down. About 5 days ago I shut it down and since then It will not turn back on. I am able to push the button on...
  6. Cannot boot windows 10 home

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot windows 10 home: When I boot my pc it goes through the normal processes an then shows the following: No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine. When I press any key it goes through the same process again...
  7. Windows 10 Home on Dell Inspiron 3847 will not update to 1709

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home on Dell Inspiron 3847 will not update to 1709: I have two identical boxes with same issue- Windows 10 Home will not update to 1709. Here are the hardware specs & steps taken to fix the problem: Dell Inspiron 3847 Windows 10 Home ver 1607 OS Build 14393.1944 Intel Core i5-4460 3.2G 12GB RAM Integrated Intel HD...
  8. Boot From CD in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot From CD in Windows 10: Hi everyone,I need to run Windows Defender Offline,which I have downloaded to a CD,but can't for the life of me boot from this CD? I know I need to go into BIOS,then to the Boot option at the top,but that's where I get stuck!! So what do I do in here please to enable the...
  9. Cannot boot from CD

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot from CD: I'm trying to wipe my hard drive with DBAN due to a trojan. I successfully booted from a CD but DBAN (from 2014) only ran 5 seconds, so I burned a CD and a USB thumb drive with the latest version of DBAN. I cannot get the PC to boot from either device despite changing the...
  10. windows 10 boot from cd

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 boot from cd: Hi I cannot get windows 10 to boot from my cd I have changed the priority in the bios but still no luck can you help I am desperate many thanks 9895

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell drivers 3647 3847 system bios version a 10