Windows 10: Cannot boot from recovery drive

Discus and support Cannot boot from recovery drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have created a recovery driveUSB on Windows 10 but it wouldn't boot up and went straight into the Windows 10 in my SSD. I have also tried making a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by P, Jan 17, 2021.

1. P
    P Win User

Cannot boot from recovery drive

I have created a recovery driveUSB on Windows 10 but it wouldn't boot up and went straight into the Windows 10 in my SSD.

I have also tried making a Media Creation Tool USB drive and it boots fine so I am sure that my computer is able to boot into USB normally but it just won't boot into the USB drive that I made with Recovery Drive.

Why is that?

I suppose the purpose of a recovery drive is to boot up the computer if Windows ever fails?

:)

2. ApolloXYZ Win User

Recovery Drive Doubt

I created a recovery drive usb pendrive when i bought my laptop. That time it was Win 10 Home SL. Now i upgraded it to Win 10 Pro and activated it using "illegal software". So these are the doubts which i have :

1. Can the Recovery Drive reverts Pro to Home? (Recovery Drive was created during Win 10 Home SL. So if i boot Recovery Drive it should revert back to Home. These are my thoughts)
    2. Will the digital license work after downgrading ?
    3. Will there be any backlash ?
    P.S. After upgrading it to Pro, there was a warning saying "digital license valid for Home SL, and not for Pro". I used an "illegal software" to activate it. Also i am a newbie so please explain it step by step.

ApolloXYZ, Jan 17, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Jan 17, 2021
  4. HvB-btr Win User

Recovery drive does not boot

After being upgrading from W 8.1 to W 10 by HP support I followed the Microsoft's website instructions to make a recovery drive. I used an external 32GB hard drive for this purpose which previously held the recovery for W 8.1. Since I did not get any
    error messages I assumed all was fine and I emptied the D:Recovery from my laptop drive as suggested by Microsoft's instructions if one desired additional drive space.

Unfortunately the recovery drive will not boot. From the boot menu I selected the USB hard drive, followed successively by the following menu selections: US keyboard; use a device; USB drive (UEFI).

This sets up a loop that goes back to the keyboard selection.

With deletion of D:Recovery I am now without a recovery option. The suggestion from a Microsoft Support Engineer to create a new recovery drive seems useless since the files to be coped to such a drive were deleted. Anyone has a real solution? Thanks.

HvB-btr, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Cannot boot from recovery drive - Similar Threads - Cannot boot recovery

2. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  3. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  4. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue.I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled.I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so I...
  6. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue.I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled.I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so I...
  7. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Cannot Create Recovery Drive

Cannot Create Recovery Drive: Hello! I am trying to factory reset my PC because I'm having loads of issues, including unable to update to the latest version of Windows. This has gone on for some time. I have done some research and everything seems to fail, such as: Cannot create recovery drive -- Some...
  9. Boot Up From Recovery Drive

Boot Up From Recovery Drive: So, I made a recovery drive on a USB. Easy enough. Now, as far as researching exactly how to get to the boot selection menu should I ever have trouble, I'm seeing like 97 different answers What is the way to get to the boot selection menu? If there are several methods, what...
  10. Cannot create recovery drive

Cannot create recovery drive: I have been having problems with my PC for quite some time now and have decided to completely reinstall Windows 10. Whenever I try to create a recovery drive, I get a message saying "We can't create a recovery drive on this PC. Some required files are missing." I do not have...