Windows 10: Cannot boot from SSD, get sent back to BIOS

Discus and support Cannot boot from SSD, get sent back to BIOS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have recently got a new SSD for my desktop and wanted to do a fresh install of windows and replace my current HDD, giving me a fresh slate. I go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Phinkton, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Phinkton Win User

Cannot boot from SSD, get sent back to BIOS

I have recently got a new SSD for my desktop and wanted to do a fresh install of windows and replace my current HDD, giving me a fresh slate. I go through the standard windows installation with a USB, and unplug the USB after windows has been installed onto the SSD, the computer will then restart and I get put back into the BIOS. My issue is that once i do this, every-time, no matter what I do when i try to boot to the SSD I get sent back to the BIOS, here is a list of what I've tried:

• Changing boot order
    • unplugging every other SATA cable except for the one connected to the SSD
    • plugging the SSD SATA cable into the lowest number SATA port on my motherboard
    • Plugging in the SSD SATA cable into the port used by my disk drive
    • Enabling and disabling safe boot in the BIOS
    • enabling and disabling CSM in the BIOS
    • Setting the boot CSM to "UEFI only" (does not recognize the SSD anymore)
    • Installing windows from the USB with the SSD being the only drive attached
    • using the same SATA port as my unplugged HDD for my SSD

When in the BIOS the SSD is the only possible boot device recognized by the motherboard, the BIOS does recognize the SSD as a bootable drive. I've checked the SSD when booting from my HDD and all the necessary windows files seem to be there. When attempting to boot i get a black screen with a single flashing white line in the top left, then it proceeds into the BIOS.

I have no idea what's wrong and I have found nothing that can fix it. if it's necessary here is my hardware:

ASUS Z97-A

Intel I5-4670K

NVIDIA GeForce 1070

8 GB RAM

A sound card (if that's relevant)

Storage:

HDD: Seagate 1TB

SSD: WD 1TB SSD "3D NAND" (New Drive)

:)

Phinkton, Jan 3, 2019
  2. HairyFool Win User

Windows 10 SSD Boot and Sleep faliure

Windows cannot stop the BIOS recognising the SSD. If at any time you can go into the BIOS and the SSD is not listed then you have an (intermittent) hardware fault. It does not matter what the precursor steps are if the hardware was OK it must be listed

Step 6 is categorical, you have a hardware fault. BIOS device recognition is always before drivers load so they cannot affect the process

HairyFool, Jan 3, 2019
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Cant change the boot up partition from the bios.

In the BIOS go to the Boot list and move the SSD drive to the top of the list. Also make sure the the System partition on the SSD has the drive as (C:\)

lacrumb, Jan 3, 2019
  4. Cannot boot from SSD, get sent back to BIOS

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's bios menu.

Hi Matthew,

There are several possible reasons as to why your computer is not detecting an SSD drive. This could be caused by incorrect BIOS settings or device drivers that need to be updated. Since you already tried the suggestion of Andre Da Costa and this allowed
    your computer to detect the SSD already, we would like to further clarify your concern by asking the questions below:

• If you were already able to install Windows on the SSD, have you already attempted to change the boot order in the BIOS menu?
    • Which version of Windows did you install on the SSD?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you attempted?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Jan 3, 2019
Thema:

Cannot boot from SSD, get sent back to BIOS

1. Cannot boot from SSD, get sent back to BIOS - Similar Threads - Cannot boot SSD

2. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  3. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  4. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue.I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled.I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so I...
  5. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  6. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  7. Cannot boot from SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot from SSD: I have an Asus G751JY. I went to sleep one night, and the next day I woke up to BIOS and the boot drive m.2 ssd dissappeared. I've tried everything from command line to disabling secure boot and fast boot and enabling csm. Reseated the drive. nothing. As it appears, the drive...
  8. Cannot boot from SSD

Cannot boot from SSD: I have an Asus G751JY. I went to sleep one night, and the next day I woke up to BIOS and the boot drive m.2 ssd dissappeared. I've tried everything from command line to disabling secure boot and fast boot and enabling csm. Reseated the drive. nothing. As it appears, the drive...
  9. Cannot boot from SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Cannot boot from SSD and cannot acces BIOS either

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot boot from SSD and cannot acces BIOS either: Hello, please tell me if this isn't the right subreddit. I reinstalled Windows 10 on my SSD (nvme) but before that I copied the SSD to my HDD incase something goes wrong. I managed to reinstall Windows 10 but something was wrong with the boot configuration. It listed my HDD...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new ssd 2.5 cannot install windows 10 hardware support booting