Windows 10: Cannot boot from SSD

Discus and support Cannot boot from SSD in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have an Asus G751JY. I went to sleep one night, and the next day I woke up to BIOS and the boot drive m.2 ssd dissappeared. I've tried everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Omar Alshaqra, May 28, 2023.

1. Cannot boot from SSD

I have an Asus G751JY. I went to sleep one night, and the next day I woke up to BIOS and the boot drive m.2 ssd dissappeared. I've tried everything from command line to disabling secure boot and fast boot and enabling csm. Reseated the drive. nothing. As it appears, the drive is dead.Fast forward a few months, I bought a brand new ssd. Installed it. Installed windows. But the drive still isn't detected in BIOS. It seems like the whole m.2 connector isn't detected by the bios, as I can see SATA configuration option but no pcie configuration option. Now the weird thing is–as I mentioned–I suc

:)

Omar Alshaqra, May 28, 2023

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 28, 2023
  3. Cloned SSD Won't boot

Ok I will do this now. What are the next steps after that to make it my main drive and move everything to it?

lhunter664, May 28, 2023
  4. Cannot boot from SSD

Automatic repair while booting from hdd and installing windows on ssd.

1. Migrated windows from hdd to ssd
    2. Formatted hdd
    3. Prioritised boot from ssd in bios
    4. Turned on the pc
    5. Automatic repair

To deal with this I select boot from a device > then EFI USB device > it says no bootable USB detected, select from these drives > there are few options including the newly installed ssd > I select ssd > then it shows disk checking, press any key to stop > I stop it > windows then boots from ssd.

It very difficult to repeat all this everytime I turn on my pc. Please suggest a fix.

JagmanjotSingh, May 28, 2023
Thema:

Cannot boot from SSD

1. Cannot boot from SSD - Similar Threads - Cannot boot SSD

2. Cannot boot windows from SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot windows from SSD: Every time I open my computer, I either get a blue screen or I am prompted to “reboot and select proper boot device”. A couple times, it has gotten to the windows login screen, but the computer would crash within seconds and show only a black screen. I had no issues with the...
  3. Cannot boot windows from SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot boot windows from SSD: Every time I open my computer, I either get a blue screen or I am prompted to “reboot and select proper boot device”. A couple times, it has gotten to the windows login screen, but the computer would crash within seconds and show only a black screen. I had no issues with the...
  4. Cannot boot from SSD

Cannot boot from SSD: I have an Asus G751JY. I went to sleep one night, and the next day I woke up to BIOS and the boot drive m.2 ssd dissappeared. I've tried everything from command line to disabling secure boot and fast boot and enabling csm. Reseated the drive. nothing. As it appears, the drive...
  5. Cannot boot from SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot from SSD: I have an Asus G751JY. I went to sleep one night, and the next day I woke up to BIOS and the boot drive m.2 ssd dissappeared. I've tried everything from command line to disabling secure boot and fast boot and enabling csm. Reseated the drive. nothing. As it appears, the drive...
  6. Cannot boot from SSD / GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot from SSD / GPT: I have just upgraded the motherboard on my computer, and installed a new SSD disk. Used Aomei to clone the old system to the new disk, which seemed to work ok, but when I reformatted the old system disk to use it for data, system refuse to boot with error message "A required...
  7. Cannot boot from SSD / GPT

Cannot boot from SSD / GPT: I have just upgraded the motherboard on my computer, and installed a new SSD disk. Used Aomei to clone the old system to the new disk, which seemed to work ok, but when I reformatted the old system disk to use it for data, system refuse to boot with error message "A required...
  8. Cannot boot from SSD / GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Cannot boot from fresh install SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot from fresh install SSD: I bought SSD Samsung 860 evo recently and I want to use it to store the OS instead of my old HDD I try using the application out there to migrate OS but there's sector problem so I decide to fresh install I did just like the forum said, first I create bootable device which...
  10. Cannot boot from SSD and cannot acces BIOS either

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot boot from SSD and cannot acces BIOS either: Hello, please tell me if this isn't the right subreddit. I reinstalled Windows 10 on my SSD (nvme) but before that I copied the SSD to my HDD incase something goes wrong. I managed to reinstall Windows 10 but something was wrong with the boot configuration. It listed my HDD...