Windows 10: Cannot Boot from USB

Discus and support Cannot Boot from USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I am trying to install win 10 from USB stick on a VAIO VGN FZ160E. The current OS is Win7x64, which I installed from a USB stick about 7 years... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Echeh, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Echeh Win User

Cannot Boot from USB

Hi,

I am trying to install win 10 from USB stick on a VAIO VGN FZ160E. The current OS is Win7x64, which I installed from a USB stick about 7 years ago. I have the following situation:

Booting from USB doesn't work from any of USB ports.
    Booting from USB doesn't also work for installing win7. (I had the idea to clean install win7, as it worked for my current version, and the upgrade it to win10.)
    The boot order is correctly set to begin from USB Stick.
    Another machine could be booted from the same USB Stick.
    I don't have any option to change the boot setup to legacy etc.
    I have tried 3 ways to generate the USB Stick (Tool from microsoft, manual format and copy with robocopy etc, rufus), with no success of course.
    I have tried to use Plop Boot Manager to add the option to boot from plop boot device. The option is there but when I select the USB it doesn't work either and stays freezing.
    I was thinking about the updating bios but i'm not sure if this is going to help as it used to work to boot from usb.
    I attach some pics from the bios menu and the plop boot screen to depict the options.

could anybody help me with this case? Thank you in advance.

:)

Echeh, Sep 9, 2018
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

Cannot Boot from USB nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Sep 9, 2018
  3. D-rock Win User
    Help with USB Boot Image

I am trying to boot from my USB flash drive. I followed the instructions step for step that are in the article on this website. I downloaded the HP program and the USB Image zip file. I ran the HP flash program and pointed it to the folder where I unzipped the USB Image files to. I then copied all the files over to the USB memory stick as instructed. When I restart my computer and press F12 to go to the boot menu I have 3 options: SATA hard drive, CD-ROM drive, or USB Device. So I choose USB device and when it reads the USB memory stick all I get is the error "Non-system disk, replace and hit any key" Its like the USB memory is missing some system files or it doesnt have the master boot record or something. Somebody please HELP!!! I want to flash the bios in a new video card and I have to boot to DOS and I dont have a floppy drive and I have Win XP so a USB boot is probably the best option I have.

D-rock, Sep 9, 2018
  4. thraxed Win User

Cannot Boot from USB

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

Cannot Boot from USB

1. Cannot Boot from USB - Similar Threads - Cannot Boot USB

2. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  3. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  4. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue.I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled.I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so I...
  6. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue.I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled.I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so I...
  7. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. cannot boot from windows 10 usb

cannot boot from windows 10 usb: as above cant boot from my widows 10 usb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-boot-from-windows-10-usb/addbacda-0515-452f-9f61-97eabe22a41c
  9. Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD': I have a new HP X360 14-ba151sa with Insyde BIOS. Yesterday I created a Macrium recovery disk, went into BIOS and moved USB CD/DVD to top of the list, F10 and exit. The system booted from DVD OK. Today, I wanted to boot from the DVD again, but this time the little arrow is...
  10. Cannot Boot From USB

Cannot Boot From USB: Currently, I am using Wiindows 7 Home Premium x86 with the drive in MBR partition style. I tried to make a bootable USB of latest Windows 10 x86 ISO with Rufus in this configuration: GPT partition Scheme for UEFI FAT32 4096 bytes Quick Format Create extended label and...