Windows 10: Cannot boot into Windows 10 BSOD, possibly due to hard drive failure

Discus and support Cannot boot into Windows 10 BSOD, possibly due to hard drive failure in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, a few things to note before i start: The computer in question is a custom built computer running Windows 10 in a triple boot configuration with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by brokenpcguy, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Cannot boot into Windows 10 BSOD, possibly due to hard drive failure

Hello, a few things to note before i start:

The computer in question is a custom built computer running Windows 10 in a triple boot configuration with 2 versions of Linux

The boot drive in question is an Intel SSD all 3 operating systems are on this SSD

Now, the issue that i am faced with is as follows:

A few days ago when i woke my desktop from sleep, Windows got stuck on the lock screen the one with the clock and so i had to forcefully shut down my desktop. Afterwards when i rebooted my computer and selected Windows 10 from the GRUB Bootloader which i have on my desktop as i have multiple operating systems, there was an error which was: failure writing sector 0x0 to 'hd0', press any key to continue. The GRUB Bootloader screen then changed to the normal Windows booting screen but then was followed by a BSOD with the stop code: Unmountable Boot Volume, and Windows restarted but to no avail. I got my windows installation disc and followed the steps to boot from the cd, and then went on to select 'repair your computer' which lead me to the recovery options. It is worth noting that this process takes an extremely long amount of time for some unknown reason close to 20min just to wait for the screens to load. I selected 'troubleshoot' from the two options, the other being turn off your computer, and it brought me to the list of choices in "Advanced options" i could choose from to repair the computer. It is worth noting that "Startup Options" is missing. The first thing i did was to select "Startup Repair" but all it did was to "diagnose my computer" and "attempt to fix my drive" for another 20min before suddenly causing the computer to restart and to be back to square one. "System Restore" and "System Image Recovery" could not do anything as well. "System Restore" said that i had to "select an operating system before restoring" or something along those lines and basically i did not get anywhere with it. Lastly i tried to use the command prompt option to see if there was anything i could do to fix the issue.

Here's where it gets really frustrating. I take like 5 minutes to load into the command prompt. The directory?? the starting text at every line before you type commands in is x\sources>. So i ran a list of commands targeted at the boot drive suggested by many forums. Firstly i tried to run "chkdsk" but that command along with all the other different parameters will always return 2 unspecified errors, followed by a final line of "failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50". I also tried bootrec /fixboot and that returned an "i/o device error". sfc /scannow and many other commands didn't work, and when i tried to change the directory from x\sources to the boot drive, the i/o error happens again. I unplugged and plugged the SATA cable to and from the hard drive as a last resort, but it did not work i predicted this anyway as i doubted that it would be because of a faulty cable At this point thanks to all the forum reading i suspected that my boot drive had a "physical bad sector" or something like that, or the master boot record or partitions were corrupted, and so i tried to at least boot windows into safe mode to see if i could run some 3rd party partitioning/repairing software to fix this. However, as i cannot boot up windows and f8 no longer works i had to go back to the cmd and run the "bcdedit" command to allow windows to enter safe mode. As previously mentioned "startup options" is not present in the "advanced options" and hence i could not restart windows from that recovery mode to enter safe mode. "bcdedit" related commands all returned an error saying "the boot configuration data store could not be opened, the system could not find the file specified." Long story short i could not even find a way to boot into safe mode to try and fix the suspected faulty boot drive. Lastly as mentioned before i have multiple operating systems residing in the same boot drive i did not install them recently they were all working for a long time before and so i tried to boot linux in a last ditch attempt but as guessed all systems could not boot. Side note i ran a "fsck" command in linux recovery mode but that didn't help.

I would be inclined to conclude that the forced shut down at the beginning caused physical damage to the boot drive hence resulting in physical bad sectors or like a corrupted mbr/partitions, so what i need advice on is that is there anyway to access the drive to repair it, when all repair commands are not able to get through seemingly due to the drive being corrupted? If not, can someone help me to access windows in safe mode so i can try running 3rd party software to fix the drive? Any help would be appreciated as i am urgent to get my computer up and running for work purposes... Also, if any more details are needed such as commands and errors, or hardware models etc just ask me and i will rerun the commands/check the hardware specifics i am currently remembering all these from memory so i apologize for the vagueness. Thank you!!

:)

brokenpcguy, Dec 21, 2019

2. Projected Hard drive failure issue

I have an HP laptop that boots up to error "Smart hard drive check has detected imminent failure". I have no issue with replacing the hard drive but have no idea how to get Windows 10 reinstalled/recovered. Currently files/photos/ect. are backed up. Any
    suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Skillet 56, Dec 21, 2019
  3. Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Dec 21, 2019
  4. Cannot boot into Windows 10 BSOD, possibly due to hard drive failure

Windows 10 won't boot with another hard drive

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, please provide details.

1) On which hard drive, you are trying to install Windows 10?

2) What is the size of the drive, where you are trying to install Windows 10?

I would suggest you to perform Check Disk on your hard drive and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.

• Select Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type the below commands.

Cskdsk [drive letter]: /f /r

Reply to us with the status of your issue, we will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

Cannot boot into Windows 10 BSOD, possibly due to hard drive failure

1. Cannot boot into Windows 10 BSOD, possibly due to hard drive failure - Similar Threads - Cannot boot BSOD

2. Lost windows 11 due to hard drive failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost windows 11 due to hard drive failure: I bought a Lenovo laptop and the hard drive failed and I now have to buy a new hard drive. How can I recover my windows 11 license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-windows-11-due-to-hard-drive-failure/3090cfae-c935-4cbc-94be-014df99bee91
  3. Lost windows 11 due to hard drive failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost windows 11 due to hard drive failure: I bought a Lenovo laptop and the hard drive failed and I now have to buy a new hard drive. How can I recover my windows 11 license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-windows-11-due-to-hard-drive-failure/3090cfae-c935-4cbc-94be-014df99bee91
  4. Imminent hard drive failure on boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Imminent hard drive failure on boot up: I have been getting a "imminent hard drive failure for the better part of a year every time my PC boots up. I ran Chkdisk and found no errors but I went and got an SSD and did a clean install of Windows10 on it. I have a 2 TB external hard drive that has been running back...
  5. Imminent hard drive failure on boot up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Imminent hard drive failure on boot up: I have been getting a "imminent hard drive failure for the better part of a year every time my PC boots up. I ran Chkdisk and found no errors but I went and got an SSD and did a clean install of Windows10 on it. I have a 2 TB external hard drive that has been running back...
  6. Windows activation failure due to hard drive change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation failure due to hard drive change: Hi, Recently I had to replace my Hard drive as my previous hard driveSATA got corruptedNot working. For the new Hard DriveSSD i installed the windows, but it didn't get activated with windows. My lap was pre-installed with widows. The model is ASUS F556UV. Now It isn't...
  7. Boot Loop Fixes Hard Drive Failure

Boot Loop Fixes Hard Drive Failure: Hello, I'm looking to get some advice/help on how to fix my laptop. One day I was restarting it and got stuck in an endless bootloop. After trying everything I could, I decided to check diagnostics Pressing esc when powering on computer and performed an extensive scan. The...
  8. Drive failure possibilities?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive failure possibilities?: Hello, My laptop is an Acer Nitro AN515-53 on Windows 10 64-bit and I had a notification that indicated a drive failure and suggested a restart to repair the drive. After doing so, I did an "sfc /scannow" in admin CMD which resulted in the following: Beginning...
  9. Window 10 Hard drive Failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Window 10 Hard drive Failure: My laptop I purchased in December 2017 had a hard drive failure. I have gone to HP for troubleshooting and nothing seems to fix it. I am ok with getting another Hard drive however I cannot find the image file the I backed up. How can I reload Windows 10 on the new hard...
  10. Possible Hard Drive failure?

Possible Hard Drive failure?: Hello, I recently came home to an extremely sluggish PC running windows 10. Managed to get to start>power menu and opted for 'restart and update'. 54% through the update and the PC reset and then didn't boot, just went to a black screen with an intermittently flashing...