Windows 10: Cannot boot into Windows unless using USB containing Windows image

Discus and support Cannot boot into Windows unless using USB containing Windows image in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10, ver. 1909 tl;dr After removing Linux and installing Windows I can't boot without using the USB drive that contains the Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Xeno, May 10, 2020.

1. Xeno Win User

Cannot boot into Windows unless using USB containing Windows image

Windows 10, ver. 1909

tl;dr After removing Linux and installing Windows I can't boot without using the USB drive that contains the Windows installation image. Unknown filesystem grub rescue error.

The whole story goes like this:
    I was running a Linux (Manjaro distro) system. I had to use W10 for work but couldn't configure a working virtual machine and decided to create a dual boot. I couldn't load the Windows system after that and even after troubleshooting it, nothing worked and only Linux loaded on boot. Didn't have any important data so I decided to completely re-install the system and use W10. However, this took a turn for the worse when I booted into the freshly installed OS. That is, didn't boot. I was greeted by this message:

error: unknown filesystem.
    Entering rescue mode...
    grub rescue>

I could only load USB image and try fixing it through CMD. Somehow managed to boot into the Windows setup menu and get the system running by executing some commands including bootrec.exe /fixboot (I don't know which one solved the issue). Right now, I can boot into Windows. However, on boot, I have to spam F11 to choose device to boot from and use the USB stick I have put into one of the ports. At least it works now, so I can manage short-term but anyone would agree this is not as functional as it can be.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this basically concerns my survival in this world. : D

:)

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, May 10, 2020
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, May 10, 2020
  4. D-rock Win User

Help with USB Boot Image

I am trying to boot from my USB flash drive. I followed the instructions step for step that are in the article on this website. I downloaded the HP program and the USB Image zip file. I ran the HP flash program and pointed it to the folder where I unzipped the USB Image files to. I then copied all the files over to the USB memory stick as instructed. When I restart my computer and press F12 to go to the boot menu I have 3 options: SATA hard drive, CD-ROM drive, or USB Device. So I choose USB device and when it reads the USB memory stick all I get is the error "Non-system disk, replace and hit any key" Its like the USB memory is missing some system files or it doesnt have the master boot record or something. Somebody please HELP!!! I want to flash the bios in a new video card and I have to boot to DOS and I dont have a floppy drive and I have Win XP so a USB boot is probably the best option I have.

D-rock, May 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot boot into Windows unless using USB containing Windows image - Similar Threads - Cannot boot unless

2. Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect: I have 1 notebook dan 1 PC. 1 notebook is Thinkpad L13 with SSD 256 GB NVME. OS is Window 10 Ultimate. I wanted to upgrade SSD to 1 TB. Before upgrade, I did clone or backup image of my SSD. I removed internal SSD from Thinkpad, and connect it to PC using PCIe converter to...
  3. Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect: I have 1 notebook dan 1 PC. 1 notebook is Thinkpad L13 with SSD 256 GB NVME. OS is Window 10 Ultimate. I wanted to upgrade SSD to 1 TB. Before upgrade, I did clone or backup image of my SSD. I removed internal SSD from Thinkpad, and connect it to PC using PCIe converter to...
  4. Windows 10 cannot boot after Backup Image using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot boot into Windows unless I keep usb in that I downloaded windows with

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot boot into Windows unless I keep usb in that I downloaded windows with: Hi, As I got a new build, I had to install a new windows download. I used a fairly old usb I had laying around the house to download windows with to my ssd. Boot went fine, but when I removed the usb and set the boot to the ssd, my system passes the enter bios screen and...
  6. Boot Windows 10 by using USB

in Windows 10 Customization
    Boot Windows 10 by using USB: I booted Windows 10 using USB, but in the interface of USB I can't find drives C: and D :. In the picture, C: is my usb, besides I don't see any other drive What Should I Do?[IMG]...
  7. cannot boot from windows 10 usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cannot boot from windows 10 usb: as above cant boot from my widows 10 usb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-boot-from-windows-10-usb/addbacda-0515-452f-9f61-97eabe22a41c
  8. Container image Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Container image Manager: i am using Windows 10 Insider Preview 17730.1000 (rs5_release) and when i go to control panel>uninstall programs>turn window features on and off> Container image Manager is greyed out (meaning I cant install) and when highlight it says Container image Manager can not be...
  9. Booting Macrium usb image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting Macrium usb image: We are discussing how to boot from a usb image made with Macrium Reflect in this thread: http://www.eightforums.com/general-s...ash-drive.html I just thought I would mention it here. It contains good info about Macrium. Delete this if it is not wanted. I don't want...
  10. Can not boot unless USB drive with win 10 image is in.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can not boot unless USB drive with win 10 image is in.: Hi! I can not boot in uefi mode or with secure boot on, I can only use CSM mode. Also when I try to boot without usb drive(which has win 10 on it) in computer it just shuts down and then turn on back and give me error that all boot options have been tried press f4 etc........