Windows 10: Cannot boot laptop from USB, gets stuck in a Preparing Automatic Repair loop

Discus and support Cannot boot laptop from USB, gets stuck in a Preparing Automatic Repair loop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I was using my laptop yesterday an HP Omen and it suddenly went to a black screen withno visible cursor. I tried restarting it, and it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by pt1947, Sep 20, 2020.

1. pt1947 Win User

Cannot boot laptop from USB, gets stuck in a Preparing Automatic Repair loop

Hello,

I was using my laptop yesterday an HP Omen and it suddenly went to a black screen withno visible cursor. I tried restarting it, and it was fixed until it happened again a couple of hours later. After I had restarted it again, it went into automatic repair mode. It has been stuck like this, alternating between automatic repair and a black screen, with the white circles rotating for a half second before freezing.

No matter what I do, I cannot progress past this screen.

I've tried the following:

• Using F11 to get into the recovery menu - doesn't work, just takes me back to automatic repair after a "please wait" message
    • Waiting - no luck, obviously
    • Removing the battery - I can't because there is a screw with a worn down head on the laptop case
    • Diagnostics - there are no hardware issues from what I can tell
    • Booting from a USB - installed windows ISO on a 16GB Lexar USB using, on two separate occasions, both the Windows Media Creation tool AND Rufus. Neither work. I've changed the boot order, I've used legacy mode, disabled secure booting, etc. No luck at all.

When I boot from USB, it just takes me to a Preparing Automatic Repair screen, which then transitions to a screen with the Omen logo, which then repeats ad nauseum. The light on the USB doesflash, but only for a couple of seconds.

Any help? I'm at a total loss here.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the warranty is expired and this computer is nearing 4 years old.

:)

pt1947, Sep 20, 2020

2. Preparing Automatic Repair loop

1) I created a USB boot disk via the Media Create Tool.

2) Powered on with that drive and it was indeed selected as boot. It blinked during startup but again went into loop. Similar to "Preparing Automatic Repair" loop except no such words. The loop now consists of just the Dell splash screen and a half circle
    of dots below. Repeats forever.

Have I missed something or done something incorrectly? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

DanBernitt, Sep 20, 2020
  3. philc43 Win User
    HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED and Preparing Automatic Repair loop

Hello Les,

Have you checked other threads on these forums to see if there are any suggestions you can try.

Here's one to try: Windows 10 preparing automatic repair loop

philc43, Sep 20, 2020
  4. Cannot boot laptop from USB, gets stuck in a Preparing Automatic Repair loop

Preparing automatic repair (Looping)

Asus Q550L. Went to upgrade to 8.1 from 8, got stuck on 82% for more than 30 minutes. I held power button to shut it down, cause it was stuck on 82%. Got frustrated. Powered back on, and now it's stuck in the preparing automatic repair. Laptop NEVER fully
    boots up. Doesn't go to the login screen. I would hold power button to power down. Tried booting into safe mode. Safe mode doesn't come up. it keeps continuously power cycling to boot up and does the preparing automatic repair, but never does repair the laptop.
    I do not have an installation CD to reinstall or repair. No usb flashdrive or anything. Can't use the laptop at all since it can not boot up fully. I'm on another laptop writing this. What do I do if I have no CD or Flash drive to repair or reinstall???????

Wolverine#86, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

Cannot boot laptop from USB, gets stuck in a Preparing Automatic Repair loop

1. Cannot boot laptop from USB, gets stuck in a Preparing Automatic Repair loop - Similar Threads - Cannot boot laptop

2. stuck at "Preparing for the Automatic repair" loop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    stuck at "Preparing for the Automatic repair" loop.: Hi,My laptop ACER ASPIRE V3-772G. is stuck at "Preparing for the Automatic repair" loop. It all happened after an incomplete update which was stuck at 98% and the laptop went unresponsive. I uninstalled the updates and system restore to a previous best point using F12. Upon...
  3. Preparing automatic repair loop and unable to boot from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preparing automatic repair loop and unable to boot from USB: Hi. I have some problem with one game, and my PC freezes, often with a terrible noise, when I play it at a random moment, and I have to hard reset my PC. Yesterday I could not start my computer after such a reset, and I hung up on “preparing automatic repair loop”. I...
  4. Preparing automatic repair loop and unable to boot from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preparing automatic repair loop and unable to boot from USB: Hi. I have some problem with one game, and my PC freezes, often with a terrible noise, when I play it at a random moment, and I have to hard reset my PC. Yesterday I could not start my computer after such a reset, and I hung up on “preparing automatic repair loop”. I...
  5. Preparing automatic repair loop and unable to boot from USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Stuck in Preparing Automatic Repair loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in Preparing Automatic Repair loop: What the hell did you put in the optional updates? I can't even get to my boot menu, it's just stuck in Preparing Automatic Repair. I'm NOT HAPPY!! My machine is an Acer ES!-523-41EW, I've tried all the F keys but it won't go into the boot menu. I have a USB Win10 I was...
  7. Stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair - won't boot from usb

Stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair - won't boot from usb: Hi there,Exactly as the title says. Laptop was doing a Windows update and I hadn't realised it wasn't plugged in so it died. When I charged it back up it said preparing automatic repairs. I wondered if it was just going to take ages so I left it on overnight and it stayed on...
  8. Laptop stuck on "Preparing Automatic Repair" and won't boot from USB

Laptop stuck on "Preparing Automatic Repair" and won't boot from USB: My laptop Asus X555UB won't boot into Windows. It shows the circle loading, then the screen goes off for a second to show me "Preparing Automatic Repair" and it's stuck in there eternally until I shut it down. I've tried everything. No matter how many times I reset, it...
  9. Laptop stuck in "preparing automatic repair" loop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop stuck in "preparing automatic repair" loop: So I was using my laptop and it suddenly restarted and then displayed the message " Preparing automatic repair" and the Toshiba logo (manufacturer of the laptop). I have left for 3 hours and it is still stuck in the same screen. I tried restarting the laptop, booting into...
  10. Laptop stuck in "Preparing automatic repair" loop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop stuck in "Preparing automatic repair" loop: So I was using my laptop and it suddenly restarted and then displayed the message " Preparing automatic repair" and the Toshiba logo (manufacturer of the laptop). I have left for 3 hours and it is still stuck in the same screen. I tried restarting the laptop, booting into...