Windows 10: Cannot boot off of CD or USB

Discus and support Cannot boot off of CD or USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Recently my computer stopped booting and since windows 10 does not have an easy way to go into safe mode to get into Command Prompt I have decided I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Walpleb, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Walpleb Win User

Cannot boot off of CD or USB

Recently my computer stopped booting and since windows 10 does not have an easy way to go into safe mode to get into Command Prompt I have decided I will just reinstall the OS all together. First I used the installation media creator from Microsoft to make the CD, and then I tried to boot of the CD. I powered on my computer, pressed F12 and selected the CD drive, however the computer would not do anything and I even left it running for 30 minutes, with no results. The CD drive is not the problem because it is an external drive I used on another computer to burn the disk in the first place. Then, I used the same software to create a USB. I then did the same thing, by booting off the USB, but no display has showed despite being on for more than 30 minutes. I have tried both the CD and USB over and over again with no results. I am at my wit's end and any help will be greatly appreciated.

This is the exact laptop I have: ://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-573G-59C3-2-20GHz-GeForce-Bluetooth4-0/dp/B0105JD1HE/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466626158&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=acer+espire+e5+nvidia+gtx+940

:)

Walpleb, Jun 21, 2016
  2. ptillery Win User

Reboot loop at 64%

Up grading from Windows 7 x86 to Windows 10 x86. Apparently interrupted. Now reboot loop at 64%. Cannot access USB or CD. Cannot access hard drive or command prompt. No keyboard clicks have any effect except Setup and Boot menu but will not boot from CD
    or USB. HP System Recovery F-10 does not work. Cannot access Advanced Startup Options (MS+X key). HELP!

ptillery, Jun 21, 2016
  3. vodafone uk update

I'm not sure, it depends on your computer.. there might be a prompt like press f12 or f2 or del or ins

it might boot from usb by itself..

If not, there is a CD you can burn (assuming you have a cd writer) that will give you the option to boot off cd

cpitchford, Jun 21, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

it's a Laptop , so is Secure Boot enabled in the Bios ? try turning it off and try again....

Kbird, Jun 22, 2016
  5. Walpleb Win User
    I turned off secure boot and tried, still nothing

Walpleb, Jun 23, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Jun 25, 2016
  7. Hazel123 Win User
    Maybe try burning another DVD of the W10 media. Also make sure when you put selections in before burning, that it is exact same architecure - eg 64 bit and just Windows 10 selected (unless you have professional installed previously then select that before burning). Maybe the disk didn't burn right.

Hazel123, Jun 25, 2016
  8. Walpleb Win User

Let me update u all on the situation. I tried removing my hard drive and then for some reason I was able to boot off the cd. So what I decided to do is burn a kill disk to wipe my hard drive and then try to boot off the cd. It worked and as soon as I made a new partition, the installation told me to restart and reformat the partition, so I did and then I couldn't boot again. So now I'm wiping the disk again. Can anyone provide some advice?

Walpleb, Jun 25, 2016
  9. philc43 Win User
    Next time, when you repeat the installation go into the custom (advanced install) and try deleting all the partitions on the hard disk until you have only one "unallocated space" before proceeding with the installation. See https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html for more details (step 12 or 13).

philc43, Jun 25, 2016
  10. Walpleb Win User
    Welp I just found out my hard drive was broken. Ran a speed checking program on the hard drive and it was throwing read errors. So anyone know any good deals for a 500gb SSD? ;-;

Walpleb, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot boot off of CD or USB - Similar Threads - Cannot boot off

2. Unable to boot through USB and cd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot through USB and cd: This product is covered by one or more of the following patents.Arlight I was messing with some patents and now when I tryed to restart my computer it wouldn't boot and it gave me this error:Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 build 083 copyright c 1997-2000 Intel Corporation This Product is...
  3. Unable to boot through USB and cd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot through USB and cd: This product is covered by one or more of the following patents.Arlight I was messing with some patents and now when I tryed to restart my computer it wouldn't boot and it gave me this error:Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 build 083 copyright c 1997-2000 Intel Corporation This Product is...
  4. USB to CD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB to CD: I am converting audio and music cassettes to USB using an MP3 converter. What is the easiest way to convert my USB MP3's to CD ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-to-cd/a85e48ef-e5cc-4995-8eda-f124bb0a8d81"
  5. CD to USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD to USB: I place a CD in my optical drive and I can not use Media Player to read or RIP it to a USB jump drive. Media Player acts like the optical drive and CD are not there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-to-usb/902d4263-68d5-48b9-8956-ecfc8163cd8d
  6. Cannot load from CD or USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot load from CD or USB: I volunteer for a non-profit job corps. They were given some PCs with Windows 8 on them. They want to upgrade to 10, but the previous owners do not allow the machine to boot from the CD or the USB. Of course, no one knows the BIOS passwords to turn it off. Is there a bypass...
  7. creating a cd or usb windows 10 boot

creating a cd or usb windows 10 boot: after having serveral problems, i went from win 7 to the free win10 upgrade when offered. i woud like to create a restore disk/flash/usb drive, but not sure how to do it. also, you SHOUD NOT let companies sell m.1 or 2 drive with less than 64gb. i had to go online to...
  8. Cannot boot into BIOS with F2 or boot from CD or USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot into BIOS with F2 or boot from CD or USB flash drive: For some unknown reason, for the past couple of days, I can only boot my ASUS X750JA laptop normally into Windows 10 (Home). Previously, after Shift+Restart, I used to be able to enter BIOS setup with F2. Now, whenever I try this, the screen remains black and nothing happens:...
  9. Cannot Boot From USB

Cannot Boot From USB: Currently, I am using Wiindows 7 Home Premium x86 with the drive in MBR partition style. I tried to make a bootable USB of latest Windows 10 x86 ISO with Rufus in this configuration: GPT partition Scheme for UEFI FAT32 4096 bytes Quick Format Create extended label and...
  10. Cannot boot from CD

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot from CD: I'm trying to wipe my hard drive with DBAN due to a trojan. I successfully booted from a CD but DBAN (from 2014) only ran 5 seconds, so I burned a CD and a USB thumb drive with the latest version of DBAN. I cannot get the PC to boot from either device despite changing the...