Windows 10: Cannot boot properly, critical service failed and bad system config and explorer.exe...

Discus and support Cannot boot properly, critical service failed and bad system config and explorer.exe... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop won't even send me to the login screen anymore, and now it takes a very long time to boot up only to get "critical service failed" or either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AoiMinase, Jun 2, 2020.

1. AoiMinase Win User

Cannot boot properly, critical service failed and bad system config and explorer.exe...

My laptop won't even send me to the login screen anymore, and now it takes a very long time to boot up only to get "critical service failed" or either "bad system confi" i tried to reset the pc with keep files but it's taking very long and it's probably stuck at "getting things ready" i don't want to lose my files, i tried to use the automatic repair which it didn't work, windows cannot detect the problem, i tried system restore but i don't have any system restore points, i tried to use safeboot only to not properly boot up, it won't even send me to the screen where you can choose whether what type of boot you want.

:)

AoiMinase, Jun 2, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Bad system config info

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The error Bad System Config means that something is wrong with the registry on your PC and you'll need to return to a previous configuration. It would be great, if you can help us with the details requested below:

• When do you get the error message?
    • Does the computer boot to the Desktop?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?

I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned in the article
    Error 0x74: Bad_system_config_info
    and see if that helps.

Note: The last step in the above article talks about performing a reset on the computer. Resetting the computer will delete all the files and applications from the computer. Do not perform reset on your computer.

You may also want to refer the steps mentioned in the article
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 2, 2020
  3. Bad system config info windows 10 on boot up!!!

I’ve been running Windows 10 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop for a while, and have endured only the occasional, minor annoyance from a Windows 10 update. And the latest update on Sunday evening (Feb. 4) appeared to complete successfully after a restart.
    But when I attempted to restart again yesterday evening, however, I got the dreaded "BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO" boot error. No other updates or installs were performed between the Sunday Windows 10 update and the failed reboot.

Following the boot error message, Automatic Repair ran but failed, as did all of the following accessed via Advanced options:

• Continue (to Windows 10) - Hey, it was worth a try.
    • Troubleshooting>Advanced options>
      • System Restore - "No restore points have been created ..."
      • Startup Repair - Same outcome as with failed Automatic Repair.
      • Go back to previous version - "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back ..."
    Command Prompt did open a CMD window, however, so I used Google to find threads describing what to do next. That uncovered several candidate fixes, so I tried #1 described below, and started on #2 before getting to a fork
    in the road that I decided deserved this posting:

• I first tried a 4-step fix involving use of bootrec, after changing the current directory from X:\windows\system32 to X:\windows\system32. The fix failed at bootrec /fixboot with "The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make
      sure that all required file system drivers are loaded ...
      "
    • Next tried a variation of #1 that I found posted 7/30/2017 by John Vil in this (now
      locked) thread which starts with bootrec /rebuildbcd. Running that command generated the following report and option:
    Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 1

[1] C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS

Add installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A):

Question 1: Should I continue down this path, and if so, which /rebuildbcd option should I choose, Y or A?

Question 2: Or should I abandon this path and try another first? For example, fix #4 in this XtremeRain article (also
    found in an MS Community thread), which appears to involve restoring the pre-update registries?

ScottHills, Jun 2, 2020
  4. Cannot boot properly, critical service failed and bad system config and explorer.exe...

Update Failed Blue Screen Bad System Config

I've had Windows 10 for a few weeks. Updates failed to download today. Message appeared saying the computer was undoing "something" and not to turn it off. Battery ran out and it turned off. Restart displayed the Bad System Config and I've tried everything
    in the Automatic Repair Advanced Options. Will not continue to Windows 10. Will not Reset or System Restore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. With tiny step by step directions, as I haven't a clue!!!! Thanks Cannot boot properly, critical service failed and bad system config and explorer.exe... :)

GillianSlater, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

Cannot boot properly, critical service failed and bad system config and explorer.exe...

1. Cannot boot properly, critical service failed and bad system config and explorer.exe... - Similar Threads - Cannot boot properly

2. “BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO” on boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    “BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO” on boot: When I boot up my Windows 10 PC, the error code BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO comes up. Then the PC restarts by itself. Finally the options Restart and Advanced Options are available.I tried many methods throughout the internet, none worked. So I used another HDD with Windows 10 to...
  3. bad system config

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    bad system config: after last windows 10 update, get stopcode bad system config info. windows will not start even in safe mode. no restore point is avail. cannot remove last updates. reset gets error....
  4. Bad system config

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Bad system config: I cant play on my pc because of the bad system config i keep trying to do differnt things on my command prompt and nothing works https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-system-config/7d26b40e-637a-4d2c-8f63-1814c88ec975
  5. Critical process died and bad system config

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Critical process died and bad system config: After having a system update I experience some problems with my games so I restarted my PC a couple times and now it’s stuck on a never ending loop which just goes through The bio screen and a loading screen with the Asus logo.After the a blank loading screen with a loading...
  6. Bad system config

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bad system config: So out of nowhere, got the {bad system config info} error. Computer won't let me factory reset or anything, and I don't have a back up since the laptop isn't mine. Does anyone know a fix? I've tried quite a few things from online to no avail. Not the best when it comes to...
  7. Bad system config

Bad system config: A while back I setup a restore point on my usb and selected the option where it would make a new one to to replace the old one every hour because i thought it would be useful. After installing the latest windows 10 update the next day my laptop starting slowing down severely...
  8. Bad system config

Bad system config: Hi, I have a question and I have been having blue screens for some time now. I have a feeling that my windows OS, a driver, or my motherboard might and a problem and want to try and rule out anything doing with windows. I know the problem and I can repeat it. I have...
  9. Bad system Config

Bad system Config: I was trying to access my windows OS folder in linux (ubuntu unity version) .So I tried to access it using the command sudo ntfs fix /dev/sda5 . but later when i swiched to windows then it showed a BSOD displaying bad sytem config .Can someone please help me to fix this bug ?...
  10. BAD SYSTEM CONFIG

in Windows 10 Support
    BAD SYSTEM CONFIG: I upgraded to laptop windows 10, and when I try to restart the error message "BAD SYSTEM CONFIG", the system automatically goes to the manager recovery menu, but will not accept my password for the microsoft account. I have changed it using my desktop computer, but the laptop...