Windows 10: Cannot boot to windows after installing ubuntu on another drive

Discus and support Cannot boot to windows after installing ubuntu on another drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! So I I just got a new SSD and everything is installed but then I installed ubuntu on my previous main drive and now there's no options or way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by frza45, Jul 23, 2021.

1. frza45 Win User

Cannot boot to windows after installing ubuntu on another drive

Hello! So I I just got a new SSD and everything is installed but then I installed ubuntu on my previous main drive and now there's no options or way to get into windows 10. I have an MSI motherboard and it's boot options are not great IMHO. - I Already had this working but after the SSD upgrade it seems to have gotten more complicated. I have 4 drives hooked up to it right now, I had 3. a 250 gig SSD ubuntu installation, a terabyte SSD for main windows 10 a small SSD that is not really doing much., and a 2 terabyte backup drive. TL;DR - I have more than one hard drive and everything was j

:)

frza45, Jul 23, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Help with dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu

This is your whole problem. What you should have done is to put GRUB in sdb1 and Windows Manager in sda1 so that Windows Boot Manager is in control.
    So what suggested above will not make any difference. GRUB is still in control of booting process.
    To fix your problem. You will need to:
    1. Move GRUB from sdb to sdb1
      |grub2 - how to move grub boot from one partition to another in linux - Ask Ubuntu
    2. Rebuild The Windows Boot Manager ie. create a brand new BCD to boot Windows 10.
    3. Once done with steps 1 and 2 above. Windows will not know UBUNTU exists and vice versa.
      Depend on the priority set in the BIOS, it will boot directly into that OS.
      However, you can boot either one from Boot Menu (Using whatever key that your Laptop assigned to: F2, F10....)
      Since I hate Dual Boot and seldom boot into Linux, I will stop here.
      Now, go to step 4 to create dual boot.
    4. Use Easy BCD to create an entry for dual boot with UBUNTU. Once done, you should get a nice GUI dual Boot Menu
      and it will boot directly into either Windows or UBUNTU.

Here's the detailed explanation: How can I move windows 10 boot files to another drive to allow linux

topgundcp, Jul 23, 2021
  3. Can install Windows, can't install Linux

Are you doing a clean install?

Also if you are doing a clean install may I suggest this. Delete and format all partitions and let Ubuntu allocate the drive. You might have some MBR files left on the HD that is conflicting with Ubuntu booting.

TheMailMan78, Jul 23, 2021
  4. Cannot boot to windows after installing ubuntu on another drive

Windows 10 boot menu only gives me 'turn pc off' option while installing Ubuntu Operating System on it.

Hi Alinaalam,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to refer to the suggestion provided by Linux website regarding the dual boot of Windows 10 and Ubuntu.

Dual-Boot Ubuntu 15.04/14.10 And Windows 10/8.1/8: Step By Step Tutorial With Screenshots - Linux.com

Welcome to the Ubuntu installation guide:

Installation - Community Help Wiki

If you still facing the further issues, then I recommend you to post your query in the
    Ubuntu forum for further support.

Ubuntu Forums

Please get back to us with an update on issue with installing Ubuntu in Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 23, 2021
Thema:

Cannot boot to windows after installing ubuntu on another drive

1. Cannot boot to windows after installing ubuntu on another drive - Similar Threads - Cannot boot installing

2. unable to boot back to windows after installing ubuntu dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to boot back to windows after installing ubuntu dual boot: I have installed ubuntu 22.04 dual boot in my ASUS laptop . when i tried back to boot into windows it does't boot back. it shows diagonising message and windows is unable to auto repair error message.windows boot manager is showing while booting screen but it doesnt boot...
  3. unable to boot back to windows after installing ubuntu dual boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to boot back to windows after installing ubuntu dual boot: I have installed ubuntu 22.04 dual boot in my ASUS laptop . when i tried back to boot into windows it does't boot back. it shows diagonising message and windows is unable to auto repair error message.windows boot manager is showing while booting screen but it doesnt boot...
  4. Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive: Hi friends. I am a new member. Thanks for accepting me into the Forum. Yesterday, my HP G61 laptop's HDD finally crashed. I was getting unmountable boot volume error about a year ago, which I fixed by clean installing Win 10. It was ok till yesterday, when the system stopped...
  5. Unable to boot on primary drive after booting on another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to boot on primary drive after booting on another drive: I stupidly caused a problem by booting into my old system drive while having my current primary system drive connected. First time trying to boot into my primary drive I got a "An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction." error message after which windows attempted...
  6. Unable to boot Windows after installing Ubuntu as dual boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to boot Windows after installing Ubuntu as dual boot: Initially my windows was running perfectly. Then i tried to dual boot it with ubuntu. After doing dual boot I'm not able to access windows. I'm getting a screen like this.[IMG]I also tried using grub command but it didn't work!! ***Original title: Dual boot***...
  7. Cannot UEFI boot on another drive

Cannot UEFI boot on another drive: Hello, I am using a laptop with 2 drives. Lets call them Disk0 and Disk1. On both disk I have installed windows pro. I thought i could simply tell in the BIOS on which drive to boot but it did not work like that, so I decided to install AIOBoot and Clover on a Fat32...
  8. Cannot Boot After Deleting Ubuntu Partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Boot After Deleting Ubuntu Partition: I used to work on my PC which had a C Drive (partitioned with Windows and Ubuntu) alongside an E drive for other storage. I deleted the Ubuntu partition and after rebooting the system, it told me that there was a grub error - 'Error: no such partition". After looking up what...
  9. Windows 10 won't boot after installing Ubuntu to a different drive

Windows 10 won't boot after installing Ubuntu to a different drive: So, here is my problem: I tried to install Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS to an old HDD I have (let's call it HDB) while maintaining my main OS (Windows 10) on my main HDD (let's call it HDA). The problem is that after I installed Ubuntu to HDB my Windows 10 (which was on HDA) wouldn't...
  10. Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot into main drive after installing Windows on another drive: Hi guys, So I'm no longer able to boot into my main drive, but all my files and folders on that drive still look intact. I honestly don't know what went wrong or if there is any way to fix this other than reinstalling Windows. Tried startup repair on my Windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. replacing hard drive with ubuntu to hard drive with windows

2. install linux on second hard drive