Windows 10: Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB

Discus and support Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a HP laptop that will not boot, and I cannot get it to boot to the win10 recovery USB USB boot works - can boot to Ubuntu Live USB and works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sclar550, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB

I have a HP laptop that will not boot, and I cannot get it to boot to the win10 recovery USB

• USB boot works - can boot to Ubuntu Live USB and works fine.
    • Tried creating USB with Windows Media Tool
    • Tried creating UEFI (GPT) and BIOS(MBR) USB with Rufus
    • Tried booting all three of these with Legacy enabled/disabled, Secure boot enabled/disabled, on USB 2.0 and (two different) 3.0 drives

Sometimes (in non-UEFI) it will do the blinky cursor in the top left, then the old windows logo, but then it reboots. I have spent a few hours trying all of this, and I don't know what to try next.

• If I wipe the drives (from Ubuntu), would that make a difference?
    • Is there a way to test for what is wrong with a Windows installation from Ubuntu?
    submitted by /u/sclar550
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sclar550, Dec 20, 2020

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Dec 20, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Laptop no longer booting from HDD or recovery USB

According to this link: Booting to the Boot Menu and BIOS
    Your laptop use F2 to access BIOS and F12 to access Boot Menu.

It will take a while to boot. Sometimes several minutes, Did you wait long enough ?
    HBCD only works with MBR disk type and will not recognize GPT disk.

If still cannot boot from Recovery disk. Use your friend's computer and download Macrium Rescue disk from my G-Drive: MacRescue.iso - Google Drive
    The iso is: MacRescue.iso, about 258MB.
    NOTE: Use F2 to access BIOS: enable Boot Menu, disable Secure Boot, disable CSM.

1. Connect the USB to the PC. Use Disk Management (Win+R->Disk Management) to find out the disk # of the USB
    2. Open Admin Command Prompt (Win+R->Command Prompt (Admin) and type:
      diskpart
      select disk # =====> where # is the disk number from step 1
      clean
      convert MBR
      create partition primary
      format fs=fat32 quick
      assign letter=R
      active
      exit
      bootsect /nt60 R: ====> This will updates the master boot code for the USB
      exit
    3. Double click MacRescue.iso. This will mount the iso as a virtual DVD drive with a letter assigned, seen in This PC
    4. copy the content of the virtual DVD to R: (Your USB)
    5. Reboot your PC and keep tapping on F12 to access boot menu then select the usb with UEFI prefix to boot into GPT mode
    6. Once booted. From the Macrium screen, click on Fix Windows Boot problems and follow the screen to complete

Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB [​IMG]
    7. Reboot your PC.

NOTE: If still does not boot then the problem is in the C drive, System file(s) corrupted. You would need to boot from the Windows Installation disk to perform custom upgrade. Use step 2 above to create a bootable Windows Installation. Don't use Rufus.

topgundcp, Dec 20, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Dec 20, 2020
Thema:

Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB

1. Cannot boot Win10 Recovery USB - Similar Threads - Cannot boot Win10

2. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  3. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue. I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so...
  4. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue.I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled.I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so I...
  6. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery: I'll try to be as clear as possible even though English is not my mother tongue.I installed last night windows 10 64bit to my HP Pavilion 15-b109so, which originally came with Windows 8 preinstalled.I wanted to do a fresh install of Windows and also to install Prime OS, so I...
  7. Cannot boot into Bios, cannot boot from USB, or to recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. win10 usb boot prob

win10 usb boot prob: scenario : 1 formatted hd 240gig ready to receive win10 from usb 1 usb flash drive with bona fida win10pro for installation problem: boots to the 'generic' windows window...then...nothing no messages...nothing just the annoying 'generic' windows window would love a...
  9. Cannot Create Recovery USB

Cannot Create Recovery USB: I have a handful of questions and issues with "Create Recovery Drive" 1. How dose Windows 10 Recovery disk work? When I first tried to create a recovery drive, it specifies the drive size I would need. One said I would need a USB that would take up to 8GB, the other...
  10. Cannot get the recovery USB drive to boot or the USB installation USB

Cannot get the recovery USB drive to boot or the USB installation USB: I have just installed the free windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 home premium. I have used the file history program to create a USB and a DVD recovery disk prior to creating a system image ( not done yet ) I tried to test the recovery but it does not boot the system. The...