Windows 10: Cannot boot windows 10 after hardware change

Discus and support Cannot boot windows 10 after hardware change in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; An SSD with Windows 10 on it was moved from an old computer into a new one, and now it won't boot to windows. It always goes straight to BIOS. Here's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by OwenCail, Jan 12, 2021.

1. OwenCail Win User

Cannot boot windows 10 after hardware change

An SSD with Windows 10 on it was moved from an old computer into a new one, and now it won't boot to windows. It always goes straight to BIOS. Here's what I've tried:

• Confirm that the drive appears in the BIOS
    • Run Startup Repair: "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC".
    • chkdsk: no problems found
    • bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd: finds 1 windows installations. I type "y" to add to the boot list, but then it says "The requested system device cannot be found."
    • bootrec.exe /fixmbr: "the operation completed successfully" but it didn't help.
    • bootrec.exe /fixboot: "access is denied"
    • I took the SSD out of another computer also with Windows 10 and plugged it into this new computer, and it booted no problem. This suggests the issue is with the original SSD and not the new hardware.
    • did a quick spot-check of the filesystem by navigating to a random file in the command line, opened it, edited it, saved it, confirmed the save worked.

Is my only option from here to do a clean install on the SSD? There are still files on the drive that I would like to save.

:)

OwenCail, Jan 12, 2021

2. Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Jan 12, 2021
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Cannot boot windows 10 after hardware change - Similar Threads - Cannot boot hardware

2. Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware change: Hello,Today I had to change my motherboard and CPU, and immediately after that my Windows 10 began showing the "Activate Windows" message in the bottom right corner of the screen. I tried using my license code, but it did not work.I went to Troubleshoot > I recently changed...
  3. Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware change: Hello,Today I had to change my motherboard and CPU, and immediately after that my Windows 10 began showing the "Activate Windows" message in the bottom right corner of the screen. I tried using my license code, but it did not work.I went to Troubleshoot > I recently changed...
  4. Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot activate Windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot activate Windows 10 after hardware change: Hi guys. Yesterday I upgraded my system. New CPU, Mobo, etc. Now I cannot reactivate Windows. I tried troubleshooting and selecting 'I have made hardware changes'. However, it is showing my old PC in the list but not the new one. I have signed in using the same Microsoft...
  6. Cannot activate Windows 10 after a hardware change

Cannot activate Windows 10 after a hardware change: I recently had to swap out my motherboard, RAM and CPU due to a hardware failure. But now I'm unable to activate Windows 10, as I get the error: Windows reported that the hardware of your device has changed. Error code: 0xC004F211 I originally bought a boxed Windows 7...
  7. Cannot Activate Windows 10 after Hardware Change

Cannot Activate Windows 10 after Hardware Change: I recently changed motherboard and processor and did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. I am now unable to activate windows. I have tried the following methods: Entered product key directly Used the activation troubleshooter Attempted the "changed hardware recently"...
  8. Windows 10 cannot active after hardware change

Windows 10 cannot active after hardware change: Error code: 0xC004F025 My windows 10 pro is retail version my Windows 10 is free upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 7 not pre-install version and My Microsoft account is linked to digital licence, but when I try to reactive Windows after hardware changeinclude motherboard...
  9. Cannot activate Windows 10 after a hardware change

Cannot activate Windows 10 after a hardware change: Hello, I recently upgraded the motherboard, cpu and ram in my PC. Windows is saying it isn't activated and when i try to, it fails. I've clicked troubleshoot and it fails, and i've clicked on "i've changed hardware" and selected the PC i'm using but it still fails. the error...
  10. Cannot activate windows 10 after a hardware change

Cannot activate windows 10 after a hardware change: I followed the steps online after I got a new motherboard to reactivate windows and it would say. We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later. I've tried again later so many times over like a month and still the servers are never up. Any help?...