Windows 10: Cannot boot windows on cloned ssd - already wiped original hdd

Discus and support Cannot boot windows on cloned ssd - already wiped original hdd in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I decided to upgrade my 2015 MSI GE72 2QF by installing an M2 2280 SSD. I used Macrium software to clone the hdd to the sdd. After the cloning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Worldbuild3r, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Cannot boot windows on cloned ssd - already wiped original hdd

I decided to upgrade my 2015 MSI GE72 2QF by installing an M2 2280 SSD. I used Macrium software to clone the hdd to the sdd. After the cloning operation, I changed the boot priorities so that the SSD was the bootable drive. Unfortunately, I forgot to remove the old hdd before testing whether everything was working - with both drives still installed and the ssd as the priority, it seemed as though everything was working.

I proceeded to wipe the old hdd. After restarting the computer again, I encountered error code 0xc00000e "a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed."

I reinstalled windows on the old drive from a bootable usb in order to be able to use the laptop. However, all of my data is on the ssd now which I can still access through the hdd. I want to make the ssd the bootable drive. Obviously, a fresh install is the best idea, however, considering my data is on the ssd only, I was looking for a way around this approach. So far I am considering repairing the EFI parition on the ssd through the command module to see if this changes anything.

Looking for suggestions as to how to proceed.

Thank you

submitted by /u/Worldbuild3r
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Worldbuild3r, Nov 3, 2019

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

I recently cloned my HDD to my SSD, to have my OS run quicker. The cloning went well, and I have set the SSD as the nr. 1 in the boot priority (each and every one of them), yet when I go into the Disk Management, my old HDD (C drive) is still labelled "boot"

***Original title: Windows does not boot off SSD, even though it is set as the #1 in the boot order.***

Uncle Death, Nov 3, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Real time SSD cloning to my HDD

Hi Jakov

May I first ask, currently do you have Windows installed on the SSD and your applications installed on your HDD, or are your applications currently installed on the SSD along with Windows?

As far as I know, if you try to clone your SSD onto that HDD, all data on that HDD will be wiped, I don't think you can clone an SSD onto a partition of another drive . ..

Do you ultimately want to put Windows onto the HDD, just have the one drive on your system and connect your EXP GDC to the the MS port?

DaveM121, Nov 3, 2019
  4. jmchatain Win User

Cannot boot windows on cloned ssd - already wiped original hdd

Problem with boot after cloning HDD to SSD - Please Help !

Hi,

I have windows 10 on my Dell and I just cloned my HDD onto a SSD. I changed the BIOS priority with 1) SSD and 2) HDD. The boot was still very slow as if on my HDD (and not SSD). When I look at the C:/Windows/Temp it gives me today's date, which means
    to me that it has booted on the C:/. When I look at the F:/Windows/Temp I have yesterday's date (when I cloned). F:/ is my SSD.

What did I do wrong and how can I boot from the SSD drive?

I would like to keep the HDD as back up. FYI the HDD is on SATA 1, CD on SATA 2 and SSD on SATA 3.

Here is a picture of my disc manager.

Thanks !

jmchatain, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

Cannot boot windows on cloned ssd - already wiped original hdd

1. Cannot boot windows on cloned ssd - already wiped original hdd - Similar Threads - Cannot boot cloned

2. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  3. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  4. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SSD failed to boot after hdd wiping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD failed to boot after hdd wiping: Hello,I recently installed Windows 10 on an ssd. However, my old HDD was in the PC and windows installed system files inside of it, so when I deleted files that was in this HDD using a linux live cd, I was unable to boot. Can someone help me to reinstall this files into my...
  6. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  7. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  8. Clone HDD 2.5 to 2.5 SSD for testing, then back to original HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clone HDD 2.5 to 2.5 SSD for testing, then back to original HDD: How is windows 10 going to react to the following: 1) Clone Win10 from 200g HDD to 240G SSD 2) swap out HDD with SSD 3) do testing with SSD 4) put old HDD back into laptop Will going from the HDD to SSD make W10 freak out with licensing ? then freak out again when I put...
  9. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058