Windows 10: Cannot boot WinPE, can boot Macrium Reflect USB. ASRock motherboard

Discus and support Cannot boot WinPE, can boot Macrium Reflect USB. ASRock motherboard in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I created USB bootable repair media. Diskpart tells me that each is MBR formatted, not GPT. These were created on a Win10 machine. One USB contains... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by docGlenn, Jun 10, 2018.

1. docGlenn Win User

Cannot boot WinPE, can boot Macrium Reflect USB. ASRock motherboard

I created USB bootable repair media. Diskpart tells me that each is MBR formatted, not GPT.
    These were created on a Win10 machine.
    One USB contains WinPE alone. I can boot it on my Lenovo Thinkpad, but cannot boot on my desktop that has ASRock H170M Pro4 motherboard.
    Another USB was created with Macrium Reflect and it contains some version of WinPE, but seems incomplete (in particular I do not have MBR2GPT.exe). This USB will boot on either machine.

The WinPE boot failure on the ASRock system goes like this:
    - I am give a choice of either USB or UEFICannot boot WinPE, can boot Macrium Reflect USB. ASRock motherboard :partition 1 for the USB drive.
    - If I choose USB, it hangs and does nothing.
    - If I choose UEFI, then it just comes right back to the boot choice menu.

Can anyone give me a clue why a perfectly good USB drive with WinPE will not boot on one machine, but is OK on the other?

:)

docGlenn, Jun 10, 2018

2. Can't boot into WinPE or Win Install DVD

Hi Abdul,

Thanks for the reply but my Windows 10 DVD is fine. If I put the Win 10 DVD into my Dell Latitude, the Latitude boots into Windows Setup. My usb keys (WinPE 3 and WinPE 4) and install DVDs (Windows 7 and Windows 10) all boot fine on my Dell Latitude. The
    problem is none of them will boot on my Dell Inspiron, no matter if I set it to BIOS or UEFI (Secure Boot disabled or enabled). However, Ubuntu 12 DVD boots and installs fine on the same Dell Inspiron with the same hard drive. Have you heard of this before?

Thanks again.

GSW_Champs, Jun 11, 2018
  3. Rackbrane Win User
    Never get a clean startup after using external media to boot

After booting from recovery flash drive, selecting my country, and then choosing immediately to continue to Windows 10, I always get a fault screen suggesting that I go into troubleshooting or reboot. Whichever I do, the second attempt to boot up works.

If I boot from the Windows 10 installation media, choose 'Repair', and again choose to continue to Windows 10 without using any of the repair options, I get the same problem, but on the second boot Windows wants to run chkdsk, and always finds corruption
    which it needs to repair. This happens also when I boot up after using Macrium Reflect WinPE boot media to make a full system backup.

Recovery and installation media should not write anything to the hard drive until I give the go-ahead, but clearly they do.

Is there a bug in WinPE causing this unsatisfactory situation?

Rackbrane, Jun 11, 2018
Thema:

Cannot boot WinPE, can boot Macrium Reflect USB. ASRock motherboard

1. Cannot boot WinPE, can boot Macrium Reflect USB. ASRock motherboard - Similar Threads - Cannot boot WinPE

2. Boot Media for Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Boot Media for Macrium Reflect: Do I need to make a new cd of the Boot Media for Macrium Reflect every time Macrium Reflect does an update? Thanks for any help. 155006
  3. Boot Media for Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot Media for Macrium Reflect: Do I need to make a new cd of the Boot Media for Macrium Reflect every time Macrium Reflect does an update? Thanks for any help. 155006
  4. Macrium Reflect WinPE 5 for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect WinPE 5 for Windows 10: So my friend has Macrium Reflect Free installed on his WIndows 8 Home 64-bit and he is planning to upgrade to Windows 10. Will he be able to still use the MR boot menu even though it was built using WinPE 5 components? Or is it actually crucial (by crucial we mean really...
  5. Can only see 640x480 resolution on Macrium Reflect in winpe mode

Can only see 640x480 resolution on Macrium Reflect in winpe mode: I had an annoying problem with Macrium Reflect only displaying in low res 640x480 mode in winpe mode booting from a usb drive. Interestingly, it worked ok when booting from a hard drive partition. I tried many fixes and got nowhere until I bought Home and could ask their...
  6. Macrium Reflect Home WinPE WADK problem

Macrium Reflect Home WinPE WADK problem: Hello, I have MR Home Edition ver 7.0.2 x64 with me in a Win 10 Pro ver1703 RS2 partition. Due to poor internet connection I cannot download the PE 5 (WADK) --for Win 8.1 and PE 10 (WADK) for Win10 component to make the appropriate WinPE for x64 Win10 (and Win 8.1). I also...
  7. Macrium Reflect boot menu option

Macrium Reflect boot menu option: Hi, recently started using Reflect, moving away from TrueImage. I'm pretty happy with it so far, except for the outlandish price (yea, I know, free version fine for most but I like to password protect my images). I notice there's an option to put the recovery on the boot...
  8. Macrium Reflect Winpe components

Macrium Reflect Winpe components: Just noticed the latest version require a download of over 800 MB to download win pe components where it was only approx 500 MB before. 73015
  9. Macrium Reflect 6 free USB boot question

Macrium Reflect 6 free USB boot question: Hi All, I made a Macrium Reflect 6 free version boot USB drive and thought I would put it in to make sure it worked. I get two Kinston USB drive boot options, which one should I use to boot up with? Thanks [img] 26068
  10. Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: I installed Macrium Reflect so that I could create rescue media and disk images. My computer will not boot from the rescue media that I created. The creation seemed to go fine, all the appropriate files seem to be there. The rescue USB shows up in my bios boot list third...