Windows 10: Cannot boot with 2nd HD plugged in. Post Windows 10 re-install

Discus and support Cannot boot with 2nd HD plugged in. Post Windows 10 re-install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Summary of problem: After re-installing Windows 10 on my SSD (i'll refer to this as drive 1), I have to have my 2nd HDD (i'll refer to this as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zx96r, Feb 11, 2019.

1. zx96r Win User

Cannot boot with 2nd HD plugged in. Post Windows 10 re-install

Hello,

Summary of problem: After re-installing Windows 10 on my SSD (i'll refer to this as drive 1), I have to have my 2nd HDD (i'll refer to this as drive 2) unplugged to get it to boot to windows. Note: Drive 1 is the drive I originally had windows installed. As a test step, I did configure drive 2 SATA port for hot swap mode. This does allow me to boot the computer with only drive 1 plugged in and once it boots, I plug in drive 2. Drive 2 works just fine and all data is there.

During the re-install of windows, I am pretty sure I had drive 2 unplugged, but not 100% sure.

Below is a screen shot of the Boot Manager.

Cannot boot with 2nd HD plugged in. Post Windows 10 re-install 1549828576940-png.png

Below is a screen shot of Disk Manager:

Cannot boot with 2nd HD plugged in. Post Windows 10 re-install 1549828742627-png.png

PC Details:
    Drive 1 SSD: Qty1 , SanDisk 250GB Ultra II, plugged into SATA port 1
    Drive 2 HDD: Qty1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, plugged into SATA port 2
    Mother Board: Asus Prime B350-Plus

Other Notes:

• Before I did this re-install, drive 1 had two partitions from the factory. I dont remember details but I had to delete both partitions to re-install windows.
    • When I try to boot the computer with both HDs plugged in, drive 1 doesn't show up in the bios boot menu (although I have a couple of time gotten it to show up if a remove power from Motherboard) but drive 2 always shows up and takes priority in the boot menu. I cannot get it to boot from drive 1 if drive 2 is plugged in.
    Please let me know if any additional details would help.

:)

zx96r, Feb 11, 2019
  2. NGeo Win User

The Ultimate Realtek HD Audio Driver Mod for Windows 10

Hey Dj Urko, I am trying to install the realtek driver and I get the error 0x0001. I have disabled secure boot and Driver signature. I have the latest win 10 build. What am I doing wrong? Can u post the complete list of steps that I have to take? I have an asus z170 with alc1150.
    Thanks in advance

3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Feb 11, 2019
  4. Cannot boot with 2nd HD plugged in. Post Windows 10 re-install

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

Cannot boot with 2nd HD plugged in. Post Windows 10 re-install

1. Cannot boot with 2nd HD plugged in. Post Windows 10 re-install - Similar Threads - Cannot boot 2nd

2. Modify the boot loader to start from 2nd HD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modify the boot loader to start from 2nd HD: I have a DELL Studio 1735 laptop with 2 HD bays inside. I installed windows 10 besides my original VISTA OS because I still have some apps I need VISTA for. So now when my machine boots, Windows asks me which OS I want. All good. There is only 1 HD and an empty bay in the...
  3. Modify the boot loader to start from 2nd HD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Modify the boot loader to start from 2nd HD: I have a DELL Studio 1735 laptop with 2 HD bays inside. I installed windows 10 besides my original VISTA OS because I still have some apps I need VISTA for. So now when my machine boots, Windows asks me which OS I want. All good. There is only 1 HD and an empty bay in the...
  4. Modify the boot loader to start from 2nd HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Installed 2nd internal HD SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed 2nd internal HD SSD: I've installed a 2nd HD in my Acer ATC-710, It is not recognized by Windows 10. Help please. Doug Reed *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-2nd-internal-hd-ssd/00451f62-2c60-45b8-90c5-0a5564e3a3c1
  6. Windows 10 cannot complete re-boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 cannot complete re-boot: I have a 6 month old Acer aio desktop - I am not tech saving having age and gender against me!! So, came with Windows 10 Pre-installed and all updates are applied automatically. As above I am unable to give you my Windows Version number as I have no access. After several...
  7. Re-install Applications Already Installed on 2nd HDD

Re-install Applications Already Installed on 2nd HDD: I just reset my Windows 10 OS and now I have to reinstall all the applications. However, install most of of apps on a 2nd HDD, and was wondering if there is anyway to avoid having to redownload all these apps. This computer sits in a remote site with limited internet...
  8. Re-install of Windows 10 on a system where it is corrupted and cannot be booted

Re-install of Windows 10 on a system where it is corrupted and cannot be booted: My situation is this. I have an SSD that got corrupted during a Windows update. I have rebuilt the boot partition, but it still won't boot. I also have a clean Windows install on a HD. If I boot from the HD, I can see the SSD in File Explorer and all data files appear to be...
  9. Data Lost Automatically Post Re-boot - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data Lost Automatically Post Re-boot - Windows 10: Hi All, OS: Windows 10 Machine: HP EliteBook Issue: I have lost 200 GB of data stored on the desktop, post re-boot the data is gone. The drive shows free space, the recovery tools are only showing a fraction of this data but 99% is irrecoverable. The data included...
  10. Win 10 & Mouse (2nd posting)

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 & Mouse (2nd posting): My original post was marked solved in error. It concerned how to program the extra buttons provided on my Microsoft 5000 mouse. TC had been helping me. At first I was given a link to the mouse manual. It turns out that that manual was for a "Bluetooth notebook mouse". I have...