Windows 10: Cannot boot with usb after installed ssd

Discus and support Cannot boot with usb after installed ssd in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed a ssd to my laptop and replaced the hdd by it so I try to reinstall windows by using usb boot, I used the mct to make it. But it is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KennethChoHK, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Cannot boot with usb after installed ssd

I installed a ssd to my laptop and replaced the hdd by it so I try to reinstall windows by using usb boot, I used the mct to make it. But it is not working, It didnt boot with the usb, instead, it keep rebooting like this. https://streamable.com/ibucshI tried to install back the hdd, but it could not boot by usb either. What should I do?

:)

KennethChoHK, Jun 1, 2021

2. Cloned SSD Won't boot

Ok I will do this now. What are the next steps after that to make it my main drive and move everything to it?

lhunter664, Jun 1, 2021
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jun 1, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Cannot boot with usb after installed ssd

boot up with USB SSD

Hi Christian

Will that USB SSD always be connected to your PC?

If not, then you can set that USB SSD as the primary Boot device in BIOS, and the internal drive as the secondary boot device, that way, when the USB SSD is connected, your PC will boot from that and when it is not connected, your PC will boot form the internal
    drive

If that USB SSD is going to be always connected, you would need to install GRUB or some other bootloader, to you are given the opportunity to choose a boot drive at startup

DaveM121, Jun 1, 2021
Thema:

Cannot boot with usb after installed ssd

1. Cannot boot with usb after installed ssd - Similar Threads - Cannot boot usb

2. Cannot boot after adding SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot after adding SSD: Trying to install a Crucial PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD into my machine, and windows gives me a Kernel Security Check failure on startup. Pull the new drive and it boots fine...
  3. Cannot boot after adding SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot boot after adding SSD: Trying to install a Crucial PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD into my machine, and windows gives me a Kernel Security Check failure on startup. Pull the new drive and it boots fine...
  4. Cannot boot windows 10 SSD after having installed Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot windows 10 SSD after having installed Windows 11: Took original 512GB NVMe SSD with windows 10 install out of M.2_1 slotInstalled a 4TB NVMe SSD into M.2_1 slotInstalled Windows 11 from iso using VentoyInstalled another new 2TB NVMe SSD into M.2_2 slotPlugged original 512GB NVMe SSD into a USB3 NVMe/NGFF adapter. It shows as...
  5. Cannot boot windows 10 SSD after having installed Windows 11

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot boot windows 10 SSD after having installed Windows 11: Took original 512GB NVMe SSD with windows 10 install out of M.2_1 slotInstalled a 4TB NVMe SSD into M.2_1 slotInstalled Windows 11 from iso using VentoyInstalled another new 2TB NVMe SSD into M.2_2 slotPlugged original 512GB NVMe SSD into a USB3 NVMe/NGFF adapter. It shows as...
  6. Cannot boot from fresh install SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot from fresh install SSD: I bought SSD Samsung 860 evo recently and I want to use it to store the OS instead of my old HDD I try using the application out there to migrate OS but there's sector problem so I decide to fresh install I did just like the forum said, first I create bootable device which...
  7. boot up with USB SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    boot up with USB SSD: 1. I have put a fresh installment of Ubuntu 20.04 on an USB SSD. 2. I have unplugged it. 3. I have put a fresh installment of Windows 10 PRO on motherboard SSD. 4. When I want to boot up with USB SSD, I need to use F12 and select the USB SSD to boot up Ubuntu 20.04. Any...
  8. Slow to boot after SSD install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow to boot after SSD install: Hoping to give my aging Acer emachines EM250 netbook a bit of a boost I swapped out the HDD for a SSD. When I did this on an equally aging HP laptop the startup and shut down times were reduced enormously. I was hoping for a similar result with the EM250 but as it turns out...
  9. Cannot get the recovery USB drive to boot or the USB installation USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot get the recovery USB drive to boot or the USB installation USB: I have just installed the free windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 home premium. I have used the file history program to create a USB and a DVD recovery disk prior to creating a system image ( not done yet ) I tried to test the recovery but it does not boot the system. The...
  10. boot problems after clean install from usb stick to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    boot problems after clean install from usb stick to SSD: I bought a new 250 GB SSD and wanted to perform a clean install of windows 10. I installed windows from a USB stick and all seemed to go well until installation finished and I attempted to reboot removing the usb stick after first changing bios to boot from SSD. It wont boot...