Windows 10: Cannot change Active Signal Resolution

Discus and support Cannot change Active Signal Resolution in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I'm having trouble with a LG25UM58 Ultrawide monitor on Windows 10 PRO 1909. It refuses to change the Active Signal Resolution to 2560x1980. I've used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by AlwaysMumbles, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Cannot change Active Signal Resolution

I'm having trouble with a LG25UM58 Ultrawide monitor on Windows 10 PRO 1909. It refuses to change the Active Signal Resolution to 2560x1980. I've used the Windows Display Settings and Nvidia Control Panel and reinstalled all drivers more than twice. Even trying multiple drivers from LG, but none of them seem to install correctly anyway as an "Installation Successful" message pops up immediately on clicking "Install." However, no options or configurations seem to be changed and the main problem persists.

I deactivated the motherboard display (Intel Integrated) since they are not in use. I am using the RTX 2060 Super and plugged into the display port through and DP-to-HDMI adapter.

Is there any way to convince Windows to change the active signal? Is there third-party software that could do this? Or even a hardware option (like an adapter that Windows would recognize at the necessary native resolution which could then output to the monitor similar to a receiver)?

:)

AlwaysMumbles, Sep 8, 2020

2. desktop resolution and active signal resolution

I have my desktop resolution set at 1280 x 1024, which is what I want,

but the active signal resolution is set at 1920 x 1080.

Where can I change the active signal resolution to 1280 x 1024?

I have tried going to "display adapter properties" and list all modes,

but this only lets me change the desktop resolution.

MayonAccounting, Sep 8, 2020
  3. Martmcd Win User
    desktop resolution and active signal resolution

Hi MayonAccounting,

it is normal if you change from the recommended resolution.

Typically, your desktop resolution and your active signal resolution will be identical. To provide a smoother experience, Windows prefers to keep your display running at its native signal resolution. If you change your display resolution under Settings > System
    > Display > Scale and layout > Resolution, you may see a difference between your desktop resolution and your active signal resolution.

is there a problem with what you see on the monitor?

Martmcd, Sep 8, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Cannot change Active Signal Resolution

How do I forcefully change the active signal resolution?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to change the active signal resolution for the monitor that you are using.

I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows Logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    2. Click on System and select
      Display
      from the left pane.
    3. Scroll down and select Advanced Display Settings.
    4. Click on Display adapter properties for Display # (Display 2 in your case).
    5. Click on List All Modes under
      Adapter
      tab.
    6. Now, select the resolution that your monitor supports.
    7. Click on OK and click on
      Keep changes

You may also want to try updating your graphics drivers. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + X, and select
      Device Manager.
    2. Expand Display adapters.
    3. Right click on the graphics card
      device
      and select Update Driver.

Article for reference:
    Update drivers in Windows 10

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

Cannot change Active Signal Resolution

1. Cannot change Active Signal Resolution - Similar Threads - Cannot change Active

2. Cannot change active signal resolution on windows 11 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change active signal resolution on windows 11 laptop: I’m trying to do projection mapping and to create my map I need my active signal resolution to be 1920x1080. So that when I draw my map it’s looks the same across all my systems I use. I’ve tried to do the usual way everyone says to do it- display, advanced settings, list all...
  3. How to Change the "Active Signal Resolution"

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Change the "Active Signal Resolution": My monitor display is supposed to be 2560 x 1440 but now it is at 3840 x 2160 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-active-signal-resolution/819cac91-396f-4518-aa3d-fd69959eb76a
  4. How to Change the "Active Signal Resolution"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Change the "Active Signal Resolution": My monitor display is supposed to be 2560 x 1440 but now it is at 3840 x 2160 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-active-signal-resolution/819cac91-396f-4518-aa3d-fd69959eb76a
  5. How to Change the "Active Signal Resolution"

6. active signal resolution not changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    active signal resolution not changing: I am trying to change my active signal resolution to 1024x768 from 1920x1080, however when i try to change my ASR it only changes the desktop resolution. I am changing it through "list all modes" already. pls help...
  7. active signal resolution not changing

active signal resolution not changing: I am trying to change my active signal resolution to 1024x768 from 1920x1080, however when i try to change my ASR it only changes the desktop resolution. I am changing it through "list all modes" already. pls help...
  8. active signal resolution not changing

9. Changing Active Signal Resolution

Changing Active Signal Resolution: Hi, I recently bought a monitor with resolution of 2560X1440. However, my computer doesn't automatically recognize that resolution for the monitor. So, the display is not sharp as it should be. I restarted the computer several times and have updated the graphic driver...
  10. Changing Active Signal Resolution

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing Active Signal Resolution: My second monitor will not connect to my pc because the active signal resolution is wrong (it’s 1920 x 1080 but I need 1600 x 900). Is there a way to change this? I’m using a dvi to vga adapter on an HP P204 monitor with Windows 10 1909 submitted by /u/bredhaie [link]...