Windows 10: cannot change administrative password.

Discus and support cannot change administrative password. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; In setting up a brand new computer, I did not set up an administrative password nor was prompted to add security questions. Now I want to change the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Brock17, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Brock17 Win User

cannot change administrative password.

In setting up a brand new computer, I did not set up an administrative password nor was prompted to add security questions. Now I want to change the admin pw, but don't know what it is. It is not my Microsoft account password. The "reset password" instructions don't work unless I know the original password. I did set up a PIN, and was able to later change the PIN, but neither PIN is accepted as the admin password on this computer though on my laptop the PIN is the same as the admin password apparently. Please advise.

:)

Brock17, Sep 19, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

Lost My Administrator Password

To which "this" are you referring?
    - If you are following the tutorial Bree suggested in the very first reply to your question then what you need to do at each step is explained in detail. So which step are you at?
    - If you are following a different procedure then state what it is and which step you are at. If, for example, you are trying to manually enable the Built-In Admin as suggested in post #11 then that account has no password.

Denis

3. administrator password

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums. In this case I suggest you to try converting your account into administrator. Follow the steps below,

1. Search for Run on
      Windows search bar.
    2. Type netplwiz in the run window and click on OK.
    3. It would prompt you for password of admin account, put in the password.

If you have not set any password, just click on OK.
    4. Double click on the user account you want to change and go to
      Group Membership.
    5. Now select Administrator and click on
      Apply and OK.

To set up pay support for home users, please log on to
    Contact Us - Microsoft Support

Hope it helps

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Sep 19, 2021
  4. mfran2002 Win User

how to prevent the built-in administrator to change its password?

thank you all for your suggestions

in the end, is there a way to disable the password change for the built in administrator user, via command line or registry?

thanks

mfran2002, Sep 19, 2021
Thema:

1. cannot change administrative password. - Similar Threads - cannot change administrative

2. Promoted Administrator password was changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Promoted Administrator password was changed: I promoted a local user to administrator for windows 11, but after that password was changed automatically and the new one was not shown.. Now I cannot login for this account. How to proceed?...
  3. Promoted Administrator password was changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Promoted Administrator password was changed: I promoted a local user to administrator for windows 11, but after that password was changed automatically and the new one was not shown.. Now I cannot login for this account. How to proceed?...
  4. Changing administrator password without knowing the password.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing administrator password without knowing the password.: I have an account on my pc that i never use. It was created by Microsoft when i got the pc. However, it was an administrator account for a while until i took it off as it always caused trouble. right now, im trying to access an app but windows keeps asking for the...
  5. Changing administrator password without knowing the password.

Changing administrator password without knowing the password.: I have an account on my pc that i never use. It was created by Microsoft when i got the pc. However, it was an administrator account for a while until i took it off as it always caused trouble. right now, im trying to access an app but windows keeps asking for the...
  6. Changing Administrator password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing Administrator password: I want to change the bios to uefi but cannot access the command prompt during boot up, it requires a password and my Windows password does not work. Anyone have an answer?...
  7. Changing Administrator password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Administrator password: I want to change the bios to uefi but cannot access the command prompt during boot up, it requires a password and my Windows password does not work. Anyone have an answer?...
  8. Changing Administrator password

9. NEED TO CHANGE ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD

in Windows 10 Customization
    NEED TO CHANGE ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD: TRIED SEVERAL SOLUTIONS TO NO AVAIL. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-change-administrator-password/b680d422-be38-45a9-8faf-8fb36038f91f
  10. change or reset administrator password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    change or reset administrator password: Don't know administrator password and it's my computer! How can I change or reset it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-or-reset-administrator-password/234d7540-1eca-4694-b92f-2b297fd01f1f