Windows 10: Cannot Change Default App Install Drive

Discus and support Cannot Change Default App Install Drive in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I had some Microsoft Store/Xbox games installed onto my D: drive, however I ended up having to reinstall Windows on my C: drive. Now the games do not... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by OrionRyker, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Cannot Change Default App Install Drive

I had some Microsoft Store/Xbox games installed onto my D: drive, however I ended up having to reinstall Windows on my C: drive. Now the games do not show up under the MS Store or the Xbox App. Using WinDirStat I was able to see however that they were still installed and taking space on my D: drive. I tried to have Windows set the D: drive as the default location for apps, however it told me that there were apps already installed on that drive and that it would have to delete them to continue. After telling it to continue, it gave me the error code 0x80070005. Googling the code, I found that it was an issue with permissions. I used safe mode to delete the file. However after this I tried to set the D: drive as my default app location and was told apps were still installed, and I got a different error, 0x80070529. WinDirStat still shows a 5.3Gb "unknown" section, that is most likely those appsthats what it showed as before I am completely unable to save apps to this drive. How do I resolve this issue?

:)

OrionRyker, Aug 28, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

Cannot Change Default App Install Drive [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Cannot Change Default App Install Drive [​IMG]

3. Change default driving directions app?

Ok, so on the advise of these forums, I just got onto the Nokia HERE navigations apps for my HTC 8x, and so far I love them. But I had also just got the feature working that allows you to 'tap' an address (like say, from the location field of a Calendar
    appointment) and have it bring up driving directions. Well, when I do that, it brings up the default 'Maps' app (which I believe is Bing Maps), and I do not see a way to change that to HERE Drive+.

Another post suggested uninstalling the current default map app, then tap an address and it should let you choose a new default, but when I tap and hold on the Maps icon in the app list, it does not give an uninstall option.

Is there another way I can get my default map app changed to HERE Drive+ so that it comes up when I tap an address? Thanks!

BensonMathison, Aug 28, 2020
  4. Cannot Change Default App Install Drive

Changing the default storage designation for the Microsoft Windows Store and various apps.

Hi Isaac,

The default storage location for the Windows store and apps is in system location where Windows is stored (This PC-> C drive), if you want to change the default location of the apps then I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the settings
    and check if it helps.

• Open Settings and click on the System icon.
    • Click on Storage on the left side, on the right side under
      Save locations, select the drive to where you want your
      documents
      , music, pictures, and/or
      videos
      to be saved to by default.
    • Click/tap on Apply.

The above settings option is available only from the Windows version (10586), I suggest you to check in which version of Windows build in installed on your computer.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

Cannot Change Default App Install Drive

1. Cannot Change Default App Install Drive - Similar Threads - Cannot Change Default

2. Cannot change default app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default app: I am having a lot of frustrations with Win 11- if this is how Win 11 is, i would not have updated.I could not change the default app that Windows assigned to my files. Previously I could go to settings/default app & then just select the file type that I want the default app...
  3. Cannot change default app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default app: I am having a lot of frustrations with Win 11- if this is how Win 11 is, i would not have updated.I could not change the default app that Windows assigned to my files. Previously I could go to settings/default app & then just select the file type that I want the default app...
  4. Cannot change default apps in settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  5. Cannot change default apps in settings

Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  6. Cannot Change Default Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Change Default Apps: Suddenly I cannot change what apps are defaulted to open.1 I change it in settings, it shows it has changed, but ignores the change and opens with the original app always.2 "Open With" pops up a list of apps. It used to be that if I selected "Choose another app", I got a...
  7. Cannot Change Default Apps

Cannot Change Default Apps: Suddenly I cannot change what apps are defaulted to open.1 I change it in settings, it shows it has changed, but ignores the change and opens with the original app always.2 "Open With" pops up a list of apps. It used to be that if I selected "Choose another app", I got a...
  8. Cannot change video default app

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot change video default app: Installed software has change my default app for playing video. I have tried every possible way through the UI to make the change, but each time I select another app, there's a pause and then the screen goes black. Can an app lock this setting? If so, short of removing the...
  9. Cannot change default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change default apps: Windows 10 Education Version 1803, OS build 17134.345 I cannot change the default apps for opening files with the extensions .ai and .R. I have checked the obvious stuff, such as creating a new user profile, restarting the PC, trying to change it via Open with... - nothing...
  10. Cannot change App Defaults

Cannot change App Defaults: I cannot change any of the App Defaults. Is there a solution for this? First, I don't like Edge and want to change the browser, but windows 10 will not change the default. Another default is for email. I want Outlook 2016 but, again can't change it. that is just 2 of many....