Windows 10: Cannot change default program for some extensions

Discus and support Cannot change default program for some extensions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I cannot change the default "Open with..." program for some file extensions such as .mpeg or .mp4. The "Open with..." dialog appears but there is no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Mattia Brozzo, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Cannot change default program for some extensions

I cannot change the default "Open with..." program for some file extensions such as .mpeg or .mp4.
    The "Open with..." dialog appears but there is no "Always use this app for .mp4 files" checkbox.

I can change the associations from the "Choose default apps by file type" settings page, but it is extremely annoying.

I am running Windows 10 version 1903 build 18362.175 (clean install from 2 days ago).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

:)

Mattia Brozzo, Jun 21, 2019

2. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 21, 2019
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    Program Defaults

Hi Murad,

A recent change in the configuration of your device can be one of the factors why this issue occurs. To assist you with your concern, we recommend that you reset the default programs by associating the file type with a specific
    program in the Control Panel. By doing this, you may able to view the file with the default program. To do this, follow the steps below:

• In the Search box, type Control
      Panel
      and press Enter.
    • On the upper-right window, under View
      by, click Category and select
      Large icons.
    • Click Default Programs.
    • Click Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Find the extension or the file that you’ve downloaded.
    • Double-click the extension to change the default program.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Sher Amo, Jun 21, 2019
  4. Cannot change default program for some extensions

Chaning default program for URL:callto (Windows 10)

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the reply.

If the default protocol that you wish to change is not available in the Settings app, you can use Control Panel to change the default programs in Windows 10.

Follow these steps:

• Open the Control Panel and click on Default Programs.
    • Click on the option saying ‘Set Your Default Programs’.
    Control Panel will find the installed apps and programs and display the list. You will see the list of installed program in the left pane and the right pane will contain a description of program, along with options that let you set the program as default
    for files/protocols it can handle

• Select the program that you wish to set as default, and then click on ‘Set this Program as Default’. This will set the program as default for files and protocols.

To make further changes to files and protocols, click on ‘Choose Defaults for this Program’.

You will get a window that displays the list of file extensions and protocols registered by the program. Check the boxes against the files and protocols that you want the program to handle by default. Click ‘Save’ to return to the previous screen and
    close the Control Panel.

You may also restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

Cannot change default program for some extensions

1. Cannot change default program for some extensions - Similar Threads - Cannot change default

2. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  3. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  4. Changing default apps to match a file extension

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default apps to match a file extension: I am attempting to change the default app of .tifs and .jpgs to Adobe Photoshop which isn't even on the list of default apps. Is there anyway to get it on the list? I have no use for the app that .tifs and jpgs do open in. I forget what it is,...
  5. Cannot change default program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default program: Hi All, I'll start this thread apparently for the umpteenth time, but none of the forum posts (and not just this forum's) I've read provided with a fix to this one. My Windows version number is 10.0.17763. I have a few Adobe CC 2020 programs installed (yes, with a genuine,...
  6. extension default change

extension default change: Would like to know how to change default programs for extensions eg. txt, rtf. NOT the easy way that doesn't work - settings only offers certain choices and I want something NOT listed - in this case I want Wordpad....
  7. Change default program

Change default program: I just got a new computer. I always use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures. But I can't get Windows to open all pictures in it. I always have to go more steps. And even if I say to use Paint Shop as program - for sure next time I open a picture I get Windows photo app. Any idea...
  8. Cannot change file's default program

Cannot change file's default program: Please do not suggest going to the settings/control panel and "set defaults by app", "choose default apps by file type", "choose default apps by protocol", or by right clicking and selected "set as default program". There are certain types that do not change and when I...
  9. Change default program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change default program: Hi I have both OneNote2010 and OneNote2016 installed (because you must the whole 2016-office suite) but I just use the 2010 version After the last Windows update default program for (.one) has changed back to 2016 And I cant find the 2010 version to add How can you...
  10. If you cannot associate an extension to a program

in Windows 10 Support
    If you cannot associate an extension to a program: Normally you right click on the desired extension and choose "Open With" and you get a selection to "Choose Another App." You can then select the App for for which the extension will be associated with-case closed. What if you right click and select the App but, cannot...