Windows 10: Cannot change default program

Discus and support Cannot change default program in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi All, I'll start this thread apparently for the umpteenth time, but none of the forum posts (and not just this forum's) I've read provided with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Eamoex, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Eamoex Win User

Cannot change default program

Hi All,

I'll start this thread apparently for the umpteenth time, but none of the forum posts (and not just this forum's) I've read provided with a fix to this one.

My Windows version number is 10.0.17763.

I have a few Adobe CC 2020 programs installed (yes, with a genuine, paid plan). I also have some of them in the 2019 version. I always keep a previous version ready to fire on the drive in case something goes wrong with the new one.

I would like (and, frankly, it doesn't sound like asking much) Windows to connect InDesign files (*.indd) with InDesign CC 2020. Presently, it opens this file type with InDesign CC 2019. Now:
    • if I go "Right-click -> Open with... -> Choose another App -> etc. etc." until I get the dialog to select the desired *.exe, and then DO select the desired *.exe (in this case, InDesign CC 2020), no new association takes place. It still opens with the CC 2019 version of InDesign.
    • if I use the other path, i.e. going through Windows setting, change files associations by type or change default programs, InDesign CC 2020 simply doesn't appear in the list. I know it's a problem of apps not "registering themselves" into Windows at install. I've even tried to fiddle with the registry to manually add InDesign CC 2020 to the registered apps list, to no avail.
    Please, help.

:)

Eamoex, Dec 17, 2019

2. Changing Default program in Win 10 home

Hi Alan,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

• As you sure that this program is successfully installed on the PC?

If the default protocol that you wish to change is not available in the Settings app, you can use Control Panel to change the default programs in Windows 10.

Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + X to get the menu.
    • Click the ‘Control Panel’ and then click on ‘Default Programs’.
    • Click on the option saying ‘Set Your Default Programs’.
    Control Panel will find the installed apps and programs and display the list. You will see the list of installed program in the left pane and the right pane will contain a description of program, along with options that let you set the program as default
    for files/protocols it can handle

Select the program that you wish to set as default, and then click on ‘Set this Program as Default’. This will set the program as default for files and protocols it can handle.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Dec 17, 2019
  3. Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Dec 17, 2019
  4. Anne Ros Win User

how do I change the default program for extracting files

Hi,

You can change the default program that's extracting the files by either changing it from the settings or right-clicking on the zipped file and choose which program will open it. We'd like to know which program are you using yo extract the files.

In the meantime, follow the steps below to change the default program:

• Right-click on the file you want to extract.
    • Choose Open with and select which program you want to use.
    • In other cases, a new menu will appear when choosing Open with. You can choose "Choose Default Program" from there.

Change the default programs from the Settings.

• Go to Settings. Choose Apps then
      Default apps.
    • Select the app or program you want to use as default from the list.

We'll wait for your response.

Anne Ros, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot change default program - Similar Threads - Cannot change default

2. Cannot change default program for some extensions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change default program for some extensions: I cannot change the default "Open with..." program for some file extensions such as .mpeg or .mp4. The "Open with..." dialog appears but there is no "Always use this app for .mp4 files" checkbox. I can change the associations from the "Choose default apps by file type"...
  3. change default email program ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change default email program ?: how to change default email program from outlook to win 10 app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-email-program/b146b8b3-2491-48c1-bcc0-499ac61cfc82"
  4. Change default program

Change default program: I just got a new computer. I always use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures. But I can't get Windows to open all pictures in it. I always have to go more steps. And even if I say to use Paint Shop as program - for sure next time I open a picture I get Windows photo app. Any idea...
  5. Can't Change Default Programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Change Default Programs: Hello anyone reading this I am having a problem with Windows 10 Here is a video about it: https://youtu.be/G_BIcAyhXCc And if you can't watch the video my problem is I can't go into file manager in the default programs selector, I also can change what a program opens...
  6. Unable to change default program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to change default program: I'm unable to change my wmv file player or the program that I use to open zip files. I'm wanting to change them to media player classic and 7zip, but nothing happens upon switching their default program. For wmv files, I use choose another app, check to always use media...
  7. Cannot change file's default program

Cannot change file's default program: Please do not suggest going to the settings/control panel and "set defaults by app", "choose default apps by file type", "choose default apps by protocol", or by right clicking and selected "set as default program". There are certain types that do not change and when I...
  8. I cannot change my default .jar program to java

I cannot change my default .jar program to java: I have a windows 10 machine. I have run everything fine before I reset my pc. My default now is set to notepad, which was my mistake. The only options I have to open a file with are apps from the windows store which is not helpful because I need to run this file using...
  9. Change default program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change default program: Hi I have both OneNote2010 and OneNote2016 installed (because you must the whole 2016-office suite) but I just use the 2010 version After the last Windows update default program for (.one) has changed back to 2016 And I cant find the 2010 version to add How can you...
  10. Default Program won't change?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Program won't change?: I am trying to set my default programs in windows 10 but it is having none of it. It just sticks on the grey square with "Choose a default". If I reset it goes back to edge, I then try and click Chrome and it is still edge. If I refresh the page it is back to the "Choose a...