Windows 10: Cannot change default save location for various file types.

Discus and support Cannot change default save location for various file types. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Seems that after the most recent windows update the default location where new files are stored changed to "Windows (C:)" and when I try to change it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by aj_chicago, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Cannot change default save location for various file types.

Seems that after the most recent windows update the default location where new files are stored changed to "Windows (CCannot change default save location for various file types. :)" and when I try to change it using the drop down menu for each category of data THERE IS NO DROP DOWN MENU! The save location is permanently "Windows (CCannot change default save location for various file types. :)". Why? How can I change this? Is this a Windows 10 bug?

:)

aj_chicago, Aug 25, 2019
  2. Geethu B Win User

Making HDD as default saving location instead of sdd for files

Hi Kiefer,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

I suggest you to try the following steps to change default saving locations. Check if it helps.

• Click on Start and click on
      Settings.

• Open System and click on
      Storage in the left-pane.

• Under the section Save Locations in the
      right-pane, select the appropriate location to which you want to save files.

• Restart the computer and check if it helps.
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Aug 25, 2019
  3. Change Save As File type

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What type of files are you trying to save?
    2. What type of File formats are you referring to?
    3. Are you facing this concern with all Websites?
    However, Try the below suggestions to change the default programs & File associations in Windows 10.

Method 1. Choose a Default Program for specific file types (extensions).

1. Right click on the Start menu and then choose
    Control Panel. Set the View by to Small icons and then choose
    Default Programs.

2. At Default programs options, choose
    set your default programs

3. At the left pane select the application that you want and then click:

a. Set this program as default to make the selected application as the default application to open all files types that it can handle, or

b. Choose defaults for this program to choose which specific file types the selected application can open by default.

b1. If you select the Choose defaults for this program option, then a new window will open that lists all the extensions (types of files) that the selected program can handle (open). Look at the list
    of extensions and select any other extensions (files types) you want to be opened by the selected program. After making your changes, click
    Save.

Method 2. Associate a specific file type (extension) to open with a default program.

The second method is to choose a default program by extension.

1. Go to Control Panel >
    Default programs
    and select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

2. From the list of file extensions, select the extension that you want to change the default program to open with and then click
    Change program.

3. Finally select from the suggested programs or select
    More apps to find another program on your computer, to open files with the selected file extension.

Hope it helps,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Forum Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Aug 25, 2019
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Cannot change default save location for various file types.

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Aug 25, 2019
Thema:

Cannot change default save location for various file types.

1. Cannot change default save location for various file types. - Similar Threads - Cannot change default

2. cannot change save location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot change save location: i am trying to change my default save location to one drive, and when i try to change it in advanced storage settings, onedrive isn’t even an option. i can only save things to “Windows C:”...
  3. default save location for different file types

in Windows 10 Gaming
    default save location for different file types: when i download pictures from the internet on windows 10 they are downloaded to the downloads section in file explorer, im wondering if i can change it so when i download a picture it will go straight to the pictures folder...
  4. default save location for different file types

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default save location for different file types: when i download pictures from the internet on windows 10 they are downloaded to the downloads section in file explorer, im wondering if i can change it so when i download a picture it will go straight to the pictures folder...
  5. default save location for different file types

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Changing the default save location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the default save location: I wanna change mt default save location on my pc since im gonna download games from the microsoft store from the xbox game pass. So i need to change my default save location on my pc for my apps. But when i try to change to my other hard drive it tells me that i have apps on...
  7. Cannot set default save location.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot set default save location.: I tried to innstall forza 4 from xbox app on windows 10 on my G: drive and it said that i had to change the default save location for games so i press it and chose the G: drive for apps and it said i had to delete other apps so i pressed yes. i then said that i cant set my...
  8. Change default "Save as type"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default "Save as type": Whenever I'm saving changes made to a picture file it defaults to saving it as a jpeg. I never save anything as a jpeg because of it's lossy nature and always tend to save picture files as a png. Is there a way to make it so whenever I'm saving ANY kind of picture file that...
  9. Changing Default Save Location

Changing Default Save Location: Just upgraded SSD and installed fresh version of Windows 10 version 1909. My SSD is the C: drive. Prior to the SSD upgrade, files such as Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures were saved to my D: Hard Drive. Example: D: >Gagnon >Documents In other words my D:...
  10. Saving file location defaults

Saving file location defaults: So specifically with PDF files. When I do a "save as" or sign with a digital signature, it brings up the explorer window. The explorer window opens to the file location of the last file I saved a PDF in. I would like explorer to default the the folder the file I am working...