Windows 10: Cannot change defaults using office 2016 and Windows 10

Discus and support Cannot change defaults using office 2016 and Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am running Outlook 2016 on a Windows 10 machine. It is a Dell Inspiron out of warranty. I want to change my default settings to Outlook but I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BCivil, Jul 18, 2020.

1. BCivil Win User

Cannot change defaults using office 2016 and Windows 10

I am running Outlook 2016 on a Windows 10 machine. It is a Dell Inspiron out of warranty. I want to change my default settings to Outlook but I am unable to do so. Instead, I get a persistent Outlook pop-up about every 20 minutes that reads "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run MS Outlook and set it to be the default mail client."

I think there is a problem with the default menu and perhaps Office 2016 because I wanted to change my browser to Firefox from edge and it would not let me do that either

Thanks..

:)

BCivil, Jul 18, 2020

2. Cannot change the default apps by using control panel

Original Title: Cannot change default apps.

As said, I cannot change the default apps by using control panel > ... > Default Apps tab.

I cannot change any of the default programs. I use paint.net to edit/view photos and I cannot set it to the default program even though it is on the list, it does not change and i'm stuck with the default photo viewer. This happens with any other app actually,
    I cannot change the default music player there, nor browser or anything.

I followed these steps as suggest by a microsoft engineer, post 2, and later on, no avail.

Can't change default apps in Windows 10

I refuse to use work arounds, I'd like a proper solution is possible, thank you.

RodrigoDrt, Jul 18, 2020
  3. making office 2016 apps the default when I click on a file in the file brower.?

Already did all that. When I did it it said Microsoft office word... but no word 2016. I can see it in the apps list but did not get to change it. I expand the more apps thing but no word 2016.

Cannot change defaults using office 2016 and Windows 10 891bca0b-fb24-4859-a4a9-f06ea989f105?upload=true.png

charlesgardner51, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Jelu Cal Win User

making office 2016 apps the default when I click on a file in the file brower.?

Hi Charles,

File association can be the cause of your concern when launching the specified items. To set Office 2016 as the preferred/default applications to launch the specified Office files, we'd recommend performing the following:

• In File Explorer, right-click on an Office file.
    • In the context menu, select Open with.

Cannot change defaults using office 2016 and Windows 10 18e24e74-bd00-4a52-aa74-ca60e358ff90?upload=true.png
    • Select Office 2016 within the list if there are multiple applications listed.
    • Tick the Always use this app to open .*** (file type).
    • Click OK.

Cannot change defaults using office 2016 and Windows 10 4fd782ed-374c-47a7-ad59-aabe11a004cb?upload=true.png

Note: You'll need to repeat the same procedure for all the other file types of Word (.docx, .doc), Excel (.xls, .xlt), PowerPoint (.ppt, .pps). We've just listed at least two of the many file types of each Office app. You may also visit this

article
    to know more about another approach to change default programs in Windows 10.

Let us know how it goes after you've performed the steps.

Jelu Cal, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot change defaults using office 2016 and Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot change defaults

2. WINDOWS 10 PRO WITH OFFICE 2016 ANNOYING CHANGE

in Windows 10 Customization
    WINDOWS 10 PRO WITH OFFICE 2016 ANNOYING CHANGE: Would really appreciate some help please how can i get rid of annoying options which i do not want or need , am not very technical could a recent update cause this. Have only ever used the simple choice save or not save to my desktop computer, it suddenly started offering...
  3. Office 2016 and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office 2016 and Windows 10: Hello there! Can I load Office 2016 with Windows 10? Do I need to switch out of S Mode to do this? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-2016-and-windows-10/1e03d580-f86b-4e75-92ab-05afe819f2ad
  4. Scanning using Office 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Scanning using Office 2016: I currently use Office 2016. If I am using Publisher or Powerpoint I frequently want to scan in graphics or photos. In the past using Office 2007 I could do this directly but with 2016 I have to scan to a file e.g. Pictures and then insert from there. While this works well...
  5. Office 2016 default Authentication window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office 2016 default Authentication window: Hi, We use smart card for user data encryption, mails are configured on different domain and does not use smart card credentials, whenever user changes the email password, the authentication window pops up with smart card as default login option, the user has to click on...
  6. Windows 10; Office 2016

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10; Office 2016: Suddenly the keyboard does not start up with num lock ON! Cannot find any settings relating to this. How do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/windows-10-office-2016/ea4a6ad5-06d7-4757-88e4-ed1333e027df
  7. cannot see microsoft office 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    cannot see microsoft office 2016: hello i have installed microsoft office 2016 but i cannot find it anywhere,i have gone to all apps and i have typed in word but no luck and when i go to the store it says i have already got the latest version,any ideas please? thank you. 84172
  8. Engage virtually using Office 2016 and Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Engage virtually using Office 2016 and Windows 10: Lead highly interactive remote meetings using voice, video and screen sharing. [img] An online immersion session is not your typical online event. Each 90-minute interactive session starts with an online roundtable discussing your business challenges and then launches...
  9. Change Background of Office 2016 for Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Background of Office 2016 for Windows: How to: Change Background of Office 2016 for Windows How to Change Background of Office 2016 for Windows [img] Information You can change the look and feel of all your Office programs by changing the Office Background. In Office 2016 you can choose from no background...
  10. Change Theme of Office 2016 for Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Theme of Office 2016 for Windows: How to: Change Theme of Office 2016 for Windows How to Change Theme of Office 2016 for Windows [img] Information You can change the look and feel of all your Office programs by changing the Office Theme. In Office 2016 you can choose from Colorful, Black, Dark Gray,...