Windows 10: Cannot change desktop icon

Discus and support Cannot change desktop icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what. To change it to the icon I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mck, Mar 26, 2018.

1. MCK
    mck Win User

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    • Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    • I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    • Click OK
    • Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

:)

2. JackBest Win User

Desktop Icons

Auto Arrange icons and Align Icons to Grid still throws all desktop icons to the top of the screen in one row. No change. This may be related to an HDMI connection to a 1080P TV. Cannot get the original desktop arrangement.

JackBest, Mar 26, 2018
  3. jtclh Win User
    desktop font resize

I just replaced my LCD with LG 4k Ultra.

I would like to resize my desktop Icon and Font size on my desktop. I can change my desktop Icon bigger the way I want, but the problem I cannot change the display font under Icon, it very small cannot read.

I go to display look for Icon resize but I did not see it. only option to resize desktop Icon.

I got to Control Penal only see Font setting.

I need help how to make desktop Font under folder Icon bigger?

where can I find Font Resize in windows 10?

please help

jtclh, Mar 26, 2018
  4. MCK
    mck Win User

What ever caused the problem, there appears to be a bug in Win10 that registers a desktop icon change via my previously mentioned procedure but does not change the icon on the desktop if certain unknown conditions exist. I had been trying to change the white folder icon to the proper icon for that program. Pinning that same shortcut (with the white folder icon) to the taskbar displayed the proper icon.

I created a new desktop shortcut to the subject program and that new desktop shortcut automatically showed the proper icon. The thing is that the existing white folder icon changed to the proper icon also at the same time.

Apparently creating a new desktop shortcut made a new "proper" registration with Win10 which then allowed the existing (old) shortcut to display the proper icon. If Win10 developers read this, this is a bug that you might work on. This problem of not being able to change the white folder icon has happened several times in the past, this is not the first time. I'll bet that it has happened to others also.

Anyway, my current problem is solved.

Thema:

1. Cannot change desktop icon - Similar Threads - Cannot change desktop

2. change icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change icon on desktop: I wanted to change the icon to something that I chose and is in JPG format.So, I right-click on the present icon on the desktop, properties, customize, and change icon that is the folder that I would like to place it in, if possible. Ultimately everything this is inside that...
  3. change icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change icon on desktop: I wanted to change the icon to something that I chose and is in JPG format.So, I right-click on the present icon on the desktop, properties, customize, and change icon that is the folder that I would like to place it in, if possible. Ultimately everything this is inside that...
  4. change icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot delete desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete desktop icons: When I try to delete some of the icons for shortcuts and full files on my desktop, they disappear but then, a few minutes later they will all return. I cannot get rid of them! Any ideas on how to fix this??thanks...
  6. Cannot delete desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete desktop icons: When I try to delete some of the icons for shortcuts and full files on my desktop, they disappear but then, a few minutes later they will all return. I cannot get rid of them! Any ideas on how to fix this??thanks...
  7. Cannot delete desktop icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete desktop icon: It is telling me that this file is open in system. I know where it came from, it was an invoice . I deleted the file days ago and now left an icon cannot delete. Googled and prefer not to download software. Thank you. Chuck 173287
  8. Desktop icons changed...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons changed...: Suddenly, most of my desktop file/folder icons have acquired two opposing blue arrows in the top-right corner of the icon. What does this mean? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-changed/dedee99f-72a0-47a7-bb61-d514efd0e8c4
  9. Cannot change Windows 10 desktop icon spacing.

Cannot change Windows 10 desktop icon spacing.: The tried and true method that worked for Vista and 7 does not seem to work with my Windows 10…using regedit then changing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics values for IconSpacing and IconVerticalSpacing which must be between -480 and -2750. I have...
  10. Changing Icons On Desktop

Changing Icons On Desktop: Hello, all. Is there a way to change to icons on the desktop from stock image to something custom, like a picture? If not a picture, then just a different icon? I am mainly thinking of the folders with their generic folder icons. Thanks for the feedback. bug 94787