Windows 10: Cannot change display to 144hz, keep getting administrative error

Discus and support Cannot change display to 144hz, keep getting administrative error in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, this could be a problem related to my hardware, but I'm checking all avenues because it being a windows issue sounds the most likely right now. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Stormshire, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Cannot change display to 144hz, keep getting administrative error

Hi, this could be a problem related to my hardware, but I'm checking all avenues because it being a windows issue sounds the most likely right now.

I turned on my computer for the first time today and my 2nd monitor says Displayport not found and sits idle with the power button as orange. My main monitor now sits at 60hz and when I try to change it to 144hz, it tell me "The display control panel is unable to change the display settings windows. You may not have appropriate administrative rights to change these settings."

Any idea why this could be? Possibly for either of the situations? I updated all Windows 10 drivers and reinstalled my graphics drivers. Thanks for any help.

:)

Stormshire, Jul 8, 2019
  2. Noor_Azam Win User

No display signal in Windows at 144hz

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are using a monitor that supports 144Hz, however you getting black screen after the sign in page.

As per the information provided by you, I have checked that the monitor supports 144Hz. However, the Sapphire RX 570 graphics card that you are using supports only up to 120Hz using the display ports. Please refer the graphic card
    specification by clicking on
    Sapphire RX 570

I suggest you to set the refresh rate for the monitor at 120Hz and check the result.

Follow these steps to change the refresh rate of the monitor.

1. Press Windows key + I.
      This will open Settings.
    2. Click on System.
    3. Click on Display.
    4. Click on Advanced display settings.
    5. Click on Display adapter properties for Samsung monitor.
    6. Click on Monitor tab.
    7. Under Monitor Settings, use the drop-down menu to select the refresh rate and change it to 120Hz.
    8. Click on Apply button.
    9. Click on OK button.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Noor_Azam, Jul 8, 2019
  3. 144hz monitor

Hi Anoosh,

Note: Depending on graphics card, these instructions may vary.

Please go to Display Settings and try the following:

- Select the monitor from the list of displays

- Scroll down and select 'Advanced display settings'

- Select 'Display adapter proprties for Display #'

- Select 'List All Modes'

- Select desired resolution and refresh rate (1920 x 1080 @ 144hz)

If these options are not there, you may need to change them from your graphics card software (i.e NVIDIA Geforce Experience, or AMD Catalyst Control Center).

Hope this helps,

Nathan

NathanT_06, Jul 8, 2019
  4. Jetster Win User

Cannot change display to 144hz, keep getting administrative error

Laptop display question

Confusing statement! You want to change the display on your laptop that died?

Is that correct?

How do you know its the display that's bad?

Just google "how to change display on a acer 5745"

Should get you to step by step instructions. But first make sure its the display that's bad

Jetster, Jul 8, 2019
Thema:

Cannot change display to 144hz, keep getting administrative error

1. Cannot change display to 144hz, keep getting administrative error - Similar Threads - Cannot change display

2. cannot change administrative password.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    cannot change administrative password.: In setting up a brand new computer, I did not set up an administrative password nor was prompted to add security questions. Now I want to change the admin pw, but don't know what it is. It is not my Microsoft account password. The "reset password" instructions don't work...
  3. cannot change display resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cannot change display resolution: I have a Lenovo laptop and I am trying to change my display resolutions in display settings> advanced display settings> display adapter properties> list all modes. it lets me select a different resolution, but it just waits 15 seconds and reverts when I apply it. The...
  4. display brightness cannot be changed

display brightness cannot be changed: I tried reinstalling my drivers but still I cannot adjust the brightness of my lap https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-brightness-cannot-be-changed/5c97f00d-7966-4c96-89be-ee037afbcd64
  5. 144Hz is not displayed MSI Optix241Cp?

144Hz is not displayed MSI Optix241Cp?: Hey, I bought a new monitor today, and it's not the same one: MSI Optix Mag241Cp which is supposed to be a 144hz monitor. On the bar of the monitor is also 144hz, but when I call up the msi settings there is 60hz up there and in the Nvidia settings I can only select 60hz. I...
  6. just changed to a display port cable but 144hz monitor is running 60hz

in Windows 10 Customization
    just changed to a display port cable but 144hz monitor is running 60hz: so when i changed to a display port cable instend of hdmi i went to check my hz and it said 60hz i tried changing it in the advanced display settings and going to refresh rate but its capped at 64hz or 60hz and i cant game with this please help....
  7. Displaying 144hz on monitor from laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Displaying 144hz on monitor from laptop: I have a gaming laptop and I have it hooked up to a monitor that can display up to 144hz. I have the laptop and the monitor connected through a HDMI cable. It seems I get 60hz instead of 144hz as the monitor advertised. Do you know how I can fix this problem? Please let me...
  8. No display signal in Windows at 144hz

No display signal in Windows at 144hz: So I've recently installed a new Sapphire RX 570 and was using a different Asus RX 570 before that (which broke, unrelated); please note that I did not have this issue with the Asus model nor with my old Nvidia graphics card I was using just a week ago so I have ruled out a...
  9. Can't Change The Display Resolution to 2560x1440 144hz

Can't Change The Display Resolution to 2560x1440 144hz: Hey, i just got the samsung c27hg70 monitor and I want to change my display to fit it. When I click on control panel, it doesn't have a "adjust screen resolution" option. I do have an Nvidia 1080ti with nvidia control panel and tried to change it there, but it wouldn't change...
  10. Cannot Change Administrator Settings

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot Change Administrator Settings: CP - User Acounts: Can't change to 'Administrator' from 'Standard' Although User is considered 'Administrator' the User Account indicates 'Standard' and cannot be changed to 'Administrator' 12683