Windows 10: Cannot change drive letter of mounted vhdx

Discus and support Cannot change drive letter of mounted vhdx in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The option to set a drive letter for a mounted vhdx is disabled. I created the vhdx using the Windows 10 built in Backup and Restore feature. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Eric333333, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Cannot change drive letter of mounted vhdx

The option to set a drive letter for a mounted vhdx is disabled. I created the vhdx using the Windows 10 built in Backup and Restore feature. This created the vhdx file on an external drive. I then plugged that external drive into a different Windows 10 machine. From there I can use the Disk Management tool to mount the vhdx, but it is not automatically assigned a drive letter, and the option to manually assign a drive letter is disabled. I am using Windows 10 Home. I have read that this should be possible. Do I need to have Windows 10 Pro or what do I need to be doing differently? Thank you.

Cannot change drive letter of mounted vhdx 129afdfb-d406-435a-8a54-c0398c5b3dda?upload=true.jpg

:)

Eric333333, Apr 12, 2021

2. Cannot change drive letter

Hello,

I request you to try the steps below:

• Press "Windows" + "R" on the keyboard.
    • Type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter key.
    • Now right click on the drive and select Change drive letter or path.
    • Select the drive and click on Change.
    • Now select the drive letter and click on OK.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Apr 12, 2021
  3. Trybird Win User
    Cannot change the drive letter to what it used to be!

Hi Al Ahner,

In fact, my usual approach is:

For example, I wanna change drive E: to drive K:,

in Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, export this hive key to a .reg file, this is very necessary;

in its right pane, first rename \DosDevices\K: to \DosDevices\Z:, because \DosDevices\Z: usually is not be used, this step is very necessary;

and then directly rename \DosDevices\E: to \DosDevices\K:, and then reboot.

So, I don't need to use again the disk management tool.

My experience is:

Either using Disk Management GUI tool, or using mountvol command, or using diskpart command then using its "assign letter=<Drive letter>", and so on, all of these lists are incomplete, only in this registry hive key location, its mounted disks settings' list
    is complete, and these volume mount points' drive letters also can be renamed or modified very well in here.

Trybird, Apr 12, 2021
  4. Cannot change drive letter of mounted vhdx

Windows 10 changing USB port drive letters

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    I would like to inform you that the issue might have occurred due to some changes made to your computer.

I suggest you to try changing the drive letter of the drive and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to change the drive letter:

• Press Windows + X keys and click on Disk Management.
    • Right click on the external drive and click on Change Drive letter and paths.
    • Click on Change the button.
    • Under Assign the following Drive letter, select the desired drive letter.
    • Click Ok to save changes.
    Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Apr 12, 2021
Thema:

Cannot change drive letter of mounted vhdx

1. Cannot change drive letter of mounted vhdx - Similar Threads - Cannot change drive

2. Drive letters changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters changed: I had to reinstall Windows 10 and after doing so the drive letters changed. What was the C: drive with the OS is now the G: drive. I have two other 300GB hard drives that are pretty old. I would like to replace them with one larger drive but I feel I should first address the...
  3. I cannot mount VHDX File

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I cannot mount VHDX File: I've created an image file with Windows Backup on an external drive. When I right-click on the file and try "Mount", I get "Couldn't mount file" and a long statement about initializing, partitions, etc.Using disk management does not help either. I'm able to attach the file,...
  4. Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter: I want to create a new partition inside Windows 21H1 for a new Macrium backup until I can later get a large enough USB stick (in addition: I want both internal and external storage). I did take some unallocated space from C:/ -- cannot have storage destination in C.\ or any...
  5. Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter: I want to create a new partition inside Windows 21H1 for a new Macrium backup until I can later get a large enough USB stick (in addition: I want both internal and external storage). I did take some unallocated space from C:/ -- cannot have storage destination in C.\ or any...
  6. Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trying to exclude Read-Only Mounted VHD\VHDX drives mounted in a directory: Disks are mounted read-only in C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0\ I've added exclusions for C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\*\*\*\* Using MPCmdRun.exe -CheckExclusion -path "C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\ Using MPCmdRun.exe -CheckExclusion -path "C:\FADIA-T\VHDM\folder\0 each shows excluded...
  7. Error in mounting VHDX file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error in mounting VHDX file: Hi, I have Created a VHDX file Ihave stored so many important files in it today when i try to open it is saying Make sure the file is in an NTFS volume and isn't in a compressed folder or volume [IMG] i have seen in properties when i try to unchuck the compress...
  8. VHDX Auto Mount at Startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    VHDX Auto Mount at Startup: [ATTACH] I'm having trouble getting a VHDX to auto mount at startup. I'm using the guide found here, but it's not working. When I paste the same PoweShell command in an elevated PowerShell window, the VHDX mounts correctly. Here's the error I'm getting in Task Scheduler....
  9. Cannot mount network drives - drive letters not available

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot mount network drives - drive letters not available: Hi I have a strange problem. I have some harddrives on a "server" computer in my homenetwork running win 7. From my "client" running windows 10 I am mounting these drives using psexec \\server -u username -p password -d net share F=F:\ /GRANT:user,Full...
  10. Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10: How to: Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10 How to Mount or Unmount VHD and VHDX File in Windows 10 VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file format which represents a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). It may contain what is found on a physical HDD, such as disk...