Windows 10: Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk

Discus and support Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Running windows 10, due to some personal reasons want to change my dynamic disk to a basic disk.But the option for the same is greyed out in Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sumit Dhiman, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk

Running windows 10, due to some personal reasons want to change my dynamic disk to a basic disk.But the option for the same is greyed out in Disk Management.If anyone posts a guide to accomplish the same I would be really grateful*Smile

:)

Sumit Dhiman, Nov 16, 2015

2. Missing hard drive on Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

After you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, you cannot change the dynamic volumes back to partitions. Instead, you must delete all dynamic volumes on the disk and then use the
    Convert To Basic Disk command. If you want to keep your data, you must first back it up or move it to another volume.

Once converted, a dynamic disk will not contain basic volumes (primary partitions or logical drives).

[*]When you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, any existing partitions or logical drives on the basic disk become simple volumes on the dynamic disk.
    [*]For the conversion to succeed, any master boot record (MBR) disks to be converted must contain at least 1 MB of space for the dynamic disk database.

To change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk:

• Back up all the data on all the volumes on the disk you want to convert to a basic disk.
    • Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
    • Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    • Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click
      Computer Management.
    • In the left pane, click Disk Management.
    • Right-click a volume on the dynamic disk that you want to change to a basic disk, and then click
      Delete Volume.
    • Click Yes when you are prompted to delete the volume.
    • Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each volume on the dynamic disk.
    • After you have deleted all the volumes on the dynamic disk, right-click the dynamic disk that you want to change to a basic disk, and then click
      Convert to Basic Disk.

NOTE:You must right-click the gray area that contains the disk title on the left side of the Details pane. For example, right-click
      Disk 1.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Nov 16, 2015
  3. Accidentally Converted Disk to Dynamic and Cannot boot

Windows build-in utilities only allow you to convert a blank disk (shown as unallocated space) to basic disk. I have used AOMEI Partition Assistant to convert dynamic disk to basic disk without data loss. in your case, you
    need to make a bootable media with this freeware on another computer. then boot your computer from it to convert dynamic disk to basic disk. it provides two options to convert dynamic disk to basic disk.

Method 1: Convert a dynamic disk back to basic disk. Safely, directly and time-saving (only take 3-10 seconds) revert a dynamic disk back to basic disk without losing data.

Method 2: Convert any dynamic volume to a basic partition. Sector by sector clone simple volume, spanned volume, striped volume, mirrored volume and RAID-5 volume from dynamic to basic disk.

Even though you will not lose the data on the dynamic disk when you use this option to convert the dynamic disk back to a basic disk, be sure to backup any data on the dynamic disk that you wish to keep first just to be safe in case something happens.
    Say a power outage while in the middle of converting the disk.

How to Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic in Windows 10 without Data Loss

Youngwarlord, Nov 16, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk

topgundcp, Nov 16, 2015
  5. Sumit Dhiman, Nov 16, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 16, 2015
  7. Sumit Dhiman, Nov 17, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. I'm glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk - Similar Threads - Cannot change dynamic

2. I ended up with unknown partitions after converting dynamic disk to basic

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I ended up with unknown partitions after converting dynamic disk to basic: I had a basic disk and I've converted it to dynamic using Disk Management. Then again I converted back the disk to basic using Easeus partition master, and now I don't have access to any other drive than my C drive. I have tested mounting them in a live linux hoping that I...
  3. dynamic disk is getting warning

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dynamic disk is getting warning: [ATTACH] It's Ghritak, I am facing a issue , you can see my dynamic disk has got some kind of warning/error . it's asking to reactivate disk and you can see beside the healthy it's saying "at risk" . So, what should I do ?...
  4. Op[tions for a failed dynamic disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Op[tions for a failed dynamic disk: One of my raid 1 drives failed and I removed it. the remining drive is functioning well (have 3 TB of data used; OS is on a separated drive; all data are backed up in multiple splaces). Is there any disadvantage to leaving the dynamic disk as is even though there is no...
  5. Will MyDynamic Disk change to Basic Disk after factory reset Windows 10 with Remove...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will MyDynamic Disk change to Basic Disk after factory reset Windows 10 with Remove...: I accidentally converted my Basic Disk to Dynamic Disk, including my C Drive. I tried using solutions available online by using various methods like installing Minitool Partition tool or other software but they're too expensive. I just wondering whether by resetting my pc...
  6. Partition Change created a Dynamic Disk from a Basic Disk

Partition Change created a Dynamic Disk from a Basic Disk: [Apologies if I have posed this in the wrong place; thanks for moving it if necessary!] - Good morning Folks! *Smile I thought this would be simple: 1TB HDD with Two 500GB Partitions E: & Z:. Having available space in E: and needing more in Z: I performed a "Shrink" on...
  7. Disk Dynamic Invalid back to Basic with data loss help

Disk Dynamic Invalid back to Basic with data loss help: Hi, Not sute what happend but just noticed that one of my 1TB disks cannot be seen in Win10 1709 Exp. It shows as Dynamic Invalid. I have to parts that I nhave much data in. Is is full of audio files and the other of dp\ocs and p0ds etc. I have used cgisecurity...
  8. Unable to convert 7 partition disk (basic) to dynamic disk

Unable to convert 7 partition disk (basic) to dynamic disk: I am running Windows 10 Pro. I have an old 1Tb drive that used to be the boot (C) drive and also had partitions for two additional drives. I since replaced that 1Tb drive with an SSD and another 2Tb second internal drive. I've inserted the 1Tb in an external USB SATA...
  9. please help converting basic disk to a dynamic disk

please help converting basic disk to a dynamic disk: Hi, I am sorry im not tech savy and i am trying to put 24tb together and i have 6 external drives of 4tb each. I am in disk management and I am trying to convert each of them from basic disk to a dynamic disk so i can group them together but it is showing a message of "The...
  10. Can I reinstall to a dynamic disk?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I reinstall to a dynamic disk?: I want to reinstall Windows on my laptop but I don't have suitable a medium to install to so I want to create an extra partition on my hard drive and use that as the installation medium. When I try to create this partition I get a warning that this will make the disk dynamic...