Windows 10: Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk

Discus and support Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Running windows 10, due to some personal reasons want to change my dynamic disk to a basic disk.But the option for the same is greyed out in Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sumit Dhiman, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk

Running windows 10, due to some personal reasons want to change my dynamic disk to a basic disk.But the option for the same is greyed out in Disk Management.If anyone posts a guide to accomplish the same I would be really grateful*Smile

:)

Sumit Dhiman, Nov 16, 2015

2. Missing hard drive on Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

After you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, you cannot change the dynamic volumes back to partitions. Instead, you must delete all dynamic volumes on the disk and then use the
    Convert To Basic Disk command. If you want to keep your data, you must first back it up or move it to another volume.

Once converted, a dynamic disk will not contain basic volumes (primary partitions or logical drives).

[*]When you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, any existing partitions or logical drives on the basic disk become simple volumes on the dynamic disk.
    [*]For the conversion to succeed, any master boot record (MBR) disks to be converted must contain at least 1 MB of space for the dynamic disk database.

To change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk:

• Back up all the data on all the volumes on the disk you want to convert to a basic disk.
    • Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
    • Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    • Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click
      Computer Management.
    • In the left pane, click Disk Management.
    • Right-click a volume on the dynamic disk that you want to change to a basic disk, and then click
      Delete Volume.
    • Click Yes when you are prompted to delete the volume.
    • Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each volume on the dynamic disk.
    • After you have deleted all the volumes on the dynamic disk, right-click the dynamic disk that you want to change to a basic disk, and then click
      Convert to Basic Disk.

NOTE:You must right-click the gray area that contains the disk title on the left side of the Details pane. For example, right-click
      Disk 1.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Nov 16, 2015
  3. Accidentally Converted Disk to Dynamic and Cannot boot

Windows build-in utilities only allow you to convert a blank disk (shown as unallocated space) to basic disk. I have used AOMEI Partition Assistant to convert dynamic disk to basic disk without data loss. in your case, you
    need to make a bootable media with this freeware on another computer. then boot your computer from it to convert dynamic disk to basic disk. it provides two options to convert dynamic disk to basic disk.

Method 1: Convert a dynamic disk back to basic disk. Safely, directly and time-saving (only take 3-10 seconds) revert a dynamic disk back to basic disk without losing data.

Method 2: Convert any dynamic volume to a basic partition. Sector by sector clone simple volume, spanned volume, striped volume, mirrored volume and RAID-5 volume from dynamic to basic disk.

Even though you will not lose the data on the dynamic disk when you use this option to convert the dynamic disk back to a basic disk, be sure to backup any data on the dynamic disk that you wish to keep first just to be safe in case something happens.
    Say a power outage while in the middle of converting the disk.

How to Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic in Windows 10 without Data Loss

Youngwarlord, Nov 16, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk

topgundcp, Nov 16, 2015
  5. Sumit Dhiman, Nov 16, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 16, 2015
  7. Sumit Dhiman, Nov 17, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. I'm glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk - Similar Threads - Cannot change dynamic

2. Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk: Hello guys!Today I need your help because if not then I'll be in danger. Now what happened is that I was trying to split a E drive in disk management tool. So when I did so it gave me a warning message saying that the disk will be a dynamic one and that the PC will not be...
  3. Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk: Hello guys!Today I need your help because if not then I'll be in danger. Now what happened is that I was trying to split a E drive in disk management tool. So when I did so it gave me a warning message saying that the disk will be a dynamic one and that the PC will not be...
  4. Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk: My windows 10 diskI have only 1 disk has been converted to dynamic. Now i want to convert it back to basic so that i can dual boot it with windows 11. I have searched on internet about this, everything is about paid softwares and using cmd as administrator while using my cmd...
  5. Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk: My windows 10 diskI have only 1 disk has been converted to dynamic. Now i want to convert it back to basic so that i can dual boot it with windows 11. I have searched on internet about this, everything is about paid softwares and using cmd as administrator while using my cmd...
  6. converting back to basic disk from dynamic disk

converting back to basic disk from dynamic disk: I need help! I recently installed Windows 10 on my grandmother's computer. Shortly after, I realized that drive "E" SD card storage was no longer accessible, blocked by tools. Using Disk Management I moved the tools, but in the process accidently converted my "Disk 0" that...
  7. Macrium Reflect clone Basic Disk to Dynamic Disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect clone Basic Disk to Dynamic Disk: Hi, I would like to know how do I clone a hd with basic partition to a hd with dynamic partition? My Macrium Reflect is 7.2 version. Thank's 167387
  8. Converting dynamic disk to basic disk windows 10

Converting dynamic disk to basic disk windows 10: Hi, I accidentally changed my c-drive to dynamic disk. It is my only memory on my pc. How can I change it back to basic disk? I allready searched information and looked up for various instructions and videos. I can't delete volumes because os is installed on that and that...
  9. Partition Change created a Dynamic Disk from a Basic Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition Change created a Dynamic Disk from a Basic Disk: [Apologies if I have posed this in the wrong place; thanks for moving it if necessary!] - Good morning Folks! *Smile I thought this would be simple: 1TB HDD with Two 500GB Partitions E: & Z:. Having available space in E: and needing more in Z: I performed a "Shrink" on...
  10. please help converting basic disk to a dynamic disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    please help converting basic disk to a dynamic disk: Hi, I am sorry im not tech savy and i am trying to put 24tb together and i have 6 external drives of 4tb each. I am in disk management and I am trying to convert each of them from basic disk to a dynamic disk so i can group them together but it is showing a message of "The...