Windows 10: cannot change file association

Discus and support cannot change file association in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want. For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by trogne, Oct 16, 2018.

1. trogne Win User

cannot change file association

Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want.

For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default "notepad". Recently I was able to do that.

If I right-click, properties, and choose my "notepad2", the change won't take effect. It will still stay the default notepad.

And using windows 10 "choose default applications by file type", I can only choose app from App store. I do not want that. I want to use my simple "notepad2.exe".

:)

trogne, Oct 16, 2018

2. Change file association back to unknown program in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1) Create a new file with any extension and save it on any location.

2) Next Open Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the default programs icon.

3) Click/tap on the Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    link.

4) Either double click/tap on the file extension or protocol, or click/tap on the file extension or protocol and click/tap on the
    Change Program button of the one you want to change the "current default' program association of.

5) If the program you want to associate is not listed, then click/tap on the
    More Options
    link if available.

6) Click/tap on a listed program that you want to associate.

7) If you associated a program, then you will see this below as "Set Associations" updates and reloads.

8) Once it is done go back to the file which you have created and delete the file.

9) Go to default programs and refresh the set association programs. It should show as other unknown.

Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 16, 2018
  3. How to change HTML File Associations from Edge to IE in Windows 10?

Hi,

I realize that you want to change HTML File Associations from Edge to Internet Explorer in Windows 10. I will try to help you with this issue.

Follow these steps to make changes in the Control Panel and check if that helps:

• Open Control Panel and click on Default programs.

• Click on Associated a file type with a program.

• Scroll down to select HTML file and click on change program.

• Select Internet Explorer and click ok.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Oct 16, 2018
  4. mandoist Win User

File Association Helper in Startup

from another forum on May 6, 2018:
    You can uninstall File Association Helper in less than 5 minutes. Here are the steps to follow:

Step 1 — Uninstall File Association Helper via Control Panel

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel.
    Then go to Uninstall a program > locate File Association Helper in the list and select it
    Select Uninstall > wait until Windows completely removes FAH from your PC.
    Restart your PC.
    Step 2 — Clean the Registry Editor

Now that you removed the program, you also need to remove any traces or file changes associated with it. To do that, you need to open the Registry Editor.

Go to Start > type “regedit” > launch the Registry Editor
    Locate the following keys and delete them:
    KEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareFile Association Helper
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareFile Association Helper

Step 3 — Check all the hidden files and folders

File Association Helper may have left behind various hidden files and folders. In order to completely remove the software, you can also need to delete these files. Here’s how to do that:

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel. On Windows 10, you can also type “Show hidden files and folder” in the search box. Then simply check Show hidden files, folders and drives and jump straight to step number 3.
    RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix common PC issues and speed up your system
    Go to Folder > select Show Hidden Files and Folders
    Locate the following folders:
    Ccannot change file association :program FilesFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocument and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocuments and Settings%USER%Application DataFile Association Helper

4. Delete them and then restart your PC.

Step 4 — Empty Temp Folder

The final step is to clean the Temp folder where all the temporary files are stored. To empty the folder, go to Start and type the %temp% command.

This will open the Temp folders. You can now empty them. If the system displays an error message when deleting some files, leave them. The files might be in use by Windows services or some running software.

Step 5 — Use a dedicated tool to remove software leftovers

After you performed all the steps listed above, you have removed 99.9% of all the files and folders left behind by File Association Helper. However, there may be a few file that escaped your scrutiny. In order to make sure that you have removed all of them, you can also use a dedicated software uninstaller.

These applications are specially designed to remove the selected application along with all of its files and registry entries. As a result, the application will be completely removed from your PC.

There are many great uninstaller tools available on the market, but the best are IOBit Uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller so feel free to try any of these tools.

mandoist, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

1. cannot change file association - Similar Threads - cannot change file

2. win11 change file association icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win11 change file association icon: I do not like the WinZip app as I can not open several at one time. I used ti be able to extract several to their own folder, so I DL 7zip and it changed the icon so I can recognized the file a a zipper it was a folder with a zipper on it how do I get it to return???? I now...
  3. win11 change file association icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win11 change file association icon: I do not like the WinZip app as I can not open several at one time. I used ti be able to extract several to their own folder, so I DL 7zip and it changed the icon so I can recognized the file a a zipper it was a folder with a zipper on it how do I get it to return???? I now...
  4. Change an outlook file association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change an outlook file association: I accidentally opened an outlook file *** Email address is removed for privacy *** with Adobe acrobat and it changed the file association to open only with acrobat. I have tried to change it back to open with outlook but outlook says it cannot use that file type. How can I...
  5. Microsoft Edge changing association for files

Microsoft Edge changing association for files: Microsoft Edge is GARBAGEWARE. I need to permanently destroy it. It keeps taking over JPGs, PDFs, and many other file types, without my permission. It REALLY SUCKS BIG TIME. ***Modified title from: How do I PERMANENTLY DESTROY Microsoft Edge?***...
  6. cannot change file association

cannot change file association: Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want. For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default "notepad". Recently I was able to do that. If I right-click, properties, and choose my "notepad2", the change won't take effect....
  7. Cannot change file type associations in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change file type associations in Windows 10: Last week (09/29/2018) I was screwing around trying to fix a driver issue I was having on my Windows 7 install, long story short I screwed something up and could no longer get the OS to load. So I figured hey if I have to reinstall Windows might as well install 10. So I wiped...
  8. Changing file association

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing file association: Adobe acrobat reader is associated with ascm files. I need to change the association so that I can open an ascm file with Adobe digital reader so that I can read a book. Thanks...
  9. Mass Change File Association

Mass Change File Association: Hi, I would like to change all file types that are handled by notepad to notepad++. How do I accomplish this without clicking manually? Maybe by changing via the registry? Henry 69414
  10. file association change

file association change: v 1607 just installed, Microsoft keeps wanting to change from libre office to wordpad, win patrol cancels it but it keeps trying to change file association how do I stop taht 63644