Windows 10: Cannot change file type associations in Windows 10

Discus and support Cannot change file type associations in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Last week (09/29/2018) I was screwing around trying to fix a driver issue I was having on my Windows 7 install, long story short I screwed something up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RogueKitsune, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Cannot change file type associations in Windows 10

Last week (09/29/2018) I was screwing around trying to fix a driver issue I was having on my Windows 7 install, long story short I screwed something up and could no longer get the OS to load. So I figured hey if I have to reinstall Windows might as well install 10. So I wiped out the by drivers partitions and started to do a completely fresh install of Windows 10. Fast forward to today(10/03/2018) and I have figured out fixes for most of my major annoyances with Windows 10 but one. I CANNOT change file type associations using ANY method built into the operating system.

System Info:

Windows 10 Pro x64 Build1803

Local account only

How I have tried to set the application to be used...

1) "Right Click" on file > Open With... > Choose Another App > Find and select app and check "Always use this app" > Ok

2) "Right Click" on file > Properties > Change... > Find and select app > Ok > Apply

3) Settings (Windows Key + i) > apps > default apps > Choose default apps by file type > Find file type > Pick app from list

4) Settings (Windows Key + i) > apps > default apps > Set defaults by app > Find app and click manage > No actual option to add the file type

What I have tried to fix the problem...

1) Deployment Image Servicing and Management

2) System File Checker

3) Control Panel Classic (Well couldn't actually try it as MS has removed those pages)

4) Deleting any MS Account info stored on the computer (Account used to sign into the MS app store)

As a temp workaround I have found some 3rd party applications that can do what Windows seemingly cannot do so its not all doom and gloom, but it is rather depressing that this is an issue to begin with.

So, Any thoughts on how to go about fixing this?

Cheers,

Rogue

:)

RogueKitsune, Oct 3, 2018
  2. CherylA Win User

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not to pester you, but it is inconvenient to "open with" every single time, and I remain quite perplexed why every other possible file extension appears to be listed in "Settings/System/Default apps/CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILE TYPE" but not .zip. It has always been possible prior to Windows 10 to associate ANY file extension with a default program. I'm not sure what you mean by ".zip is not listed by default." How else would one permanently associate a program with a file extension? The link I gave you, provided again below, as well as others I could find - indicates that that other people have .zip listed in their file type listings. Have you checked your listings available at location I've specified above? I have ... .yps, .z, .z96... and no .zip. Do you not see a .zip extension either but see essentially all others? Link: unable to Extract Zip files in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.

CherylA, Oct 3, 2018
  3. How to change HTML File Associations from Edge to IE in Windows 10?

Hi,

I realize that you want to change HTML File Associations from Edge to Internet Explorer in Windows 10. I will try to help you with this issue.

Follow these steps to make changes in the Control Panel and check if that helps:

• Open Control Panel and click on Default programs.

• Click on Associated a file type with a program.

• Scroll down to select HTML file and click on change program.

• Select Internet Explorer and click ok.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Oct 3, 2018
  4. Bill_VA2 Win User

Cannot change file type associations in Windows 10

Latest WIndows 10 Update Changes File Associations

I'm about to lose my mind and patience with this issue. I've reset the file association via every way possible and still the file associations for Edge keep coming back, sometimes even minutes after I've changed it. In particular with these file types
    and associations:

• graphic files like png, jpg, gif - I have resurrected Window Photo Viewer and associated these file types with it, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to the Photos app
    • mp3 files - I changed them to Windows Media Player, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to Groove Music
    • htm and html files - I changed to open with Chrome, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to open with Edge
    • pdf files - I changed to open with Acrobat Pro, but Windows 10 keeps changing them back to open with Edge

OMG!!!! When I started typing this, I changed the file association for .pdf files to Acrobat, and just now after proofing this post, they're reset to open with Edge!!!!

Come on Microsoft, quit screwing with us and leave the file associations alone!!!!

Bill_VA2, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

Cannot change file type associations in Windows 10

1. Cannot change file type associations in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot change file

2. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  3. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  4. Cannot get file type associated with the application

Cannot get file type associated with the application: I've just posted to the Ultimaker Cura forum, as Cura is the only application in which I seem to be getting this problem. But I suspect this may be a Win 10 issue so hope someone can help please. Despite having set the defaults correctly, I cannot get d-clicking from File...
  5. Cannot get file type associated with the application

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get file type associated with the application: I've just posted to the Ultimaker Cura forum, as Cura is the only application in which I seem to be getting this problem. But I suspect this may be a Win 10 issue so hope someone can help please. Despite having set the defaults correctly, I cannot get d-clicking from File...
  6. File type association

in Windows 10 Customization
    File type association: I accidentally assigned a .laz extension to be opened automatically with Adobe. When I try to go to the default settings to remove the association I only get the option of associating with another app. How can I remove this entirely or restore it back to were I get a prompt...
  7. How to change/remove file association app from a file type Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change/remove file association app from a file type Windows 10: I saw this question on an old thread I'm not sure if this was already answered but ill post this anyway for ppl who still need it. you'll also need to know how to rename file types as well, you can go to this link to learn how to do that https://youtu.be/10Br6exp_Ow...
  8. program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    program will not open- change file type associated with a file extension: I went to control panel, file, and when I click on "change the file type associated with a file extension" the window opens with the blue screen and the file icon in the center but never actually opens up at all....
  9. cannot change file association

cannot change file association: Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want. For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default "notepad". Recently I was able to do that. If I right-click, properties, and choose my "notepad2", the change won't take effect....
  10. cannot change file association

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot change file association: Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want. For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default "notepad". Recently I was able to do that. If I right-click, properties, and choose my "notepad2", the change won't take effect....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant change file association windows 10

2. file types association windows 10

3. windows 10 cant change file associations

4. how to chage file type to TXT,
  5. associate zoom with tel links file type 2019,
  6. win 10 default file type cannot change,
  7. cannot change file type widoes 10,
  8. windows 10 cannot change file association,
  9. win10 cannot change file associations,
  10. cannot change file association in windows 10,
  11. windows 10 can not associate file type,