Windows 10: Cannot change file's default program

Discus and support Cannot change file's default program in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Please do not suggest going to the settings/control panel and "set defaults by app", "choose default apps by file type", "choose default apps by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Simonhawk, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Simonhawk Win User

Cannot change file's default program

Please do not suggest going to the settings/control panel and "set defaults by app", "choose default apps by file type", "choose default apps by protocol", or by right clicking and selected "set as default program".

There are certain types that do not change and when I visit the "set default by app", I do not see them there and that's why I think I can't do it.. or it's a Windows local bug. I got this problem AFTER I refactor'd my computer.

I've tried using two third-party tools: 1) FileTypesMan and 2)DefaultProgramsEditor. No success.

The specfic programs I'm trying to replace are .txt (text documents) with Visual Studio Code (VSC). The other being .mp3 files with audacity (audio editor). I've had both of these set BEFORE I refactor'd my Windows 10 system but now it is bugging out. If I try to set the .txt document to wordpad, works fine.. but not with VSC. If I try to set the default of .mp3 files with VLC or itunes, no problem. But can't with audacity. Like I've said, I've had these set to these settings before.

Please do not suggest using alternatives like VIM, Notepad++, etc. I've had this done before and would like to continue with how I had things done for efficiency purposes.

Here's a gif If i try to set the defaults:

https://imgur.com/a/epS0Q29

If you require any additional info, let me know. Thank you!

:)

Simonhawk, Oct 9, 2018
  2. Anne Ros Win User

how do I change the default program for extracting files

Hi,

You can change the default program that's extracting the files by either changing it from the settings or right-clicking on the zipped file and choose which program will open it. We'd like to know which program are you using yo extract the files.

In the meantime, follow the steps below to change the default program:

• Right-click on the file you want to extract.
    • Choose Open with and select which program you want to use.
    • In other cases, a new menu will appear when choosing Open with. You can choose "Choose Default Program" from there.

Change the default programs from the Settings.

• Go to Settings. Choose Apps then
      Default apps.
    • Select the app or program you want to use as default from the list.

We'll wait for your response.

Anne Ros, Oct 9, 2018
  3. How to change default programs to open .jar files in Windowws 10?

Hello Snott,

As you are facing issues with setting-up default program to access .jar files, we will help you with this issue.

Try few of the below steps to change the default program for .jar files and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key, type default programs
      and select Default Programs.
    • Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select .jar file type and click on Change program.
    • Choose the program you wish to open with and click
      OK

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 9, 2018
  4. Cannot change file's default program

Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Oct 9, 2018
Thema:

Cannot change file's default program

1. Cannot change file's default program - Similar Threads - Cannot change file's

2. Unable to Change Default Program for File Type

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to Change Default Program for File Type: Hi, I'm having trouble changing the default program associated with a specific file type on my Windows 10 computer. Whenever I try to change it via the "Open with" option or through the Control Panel, the changes don't take effect. The file type remains associated with the...
  3. .pdf files default program keeps changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    .pdf files default program keeps changing: Hello, I am trying to have my Adobe 9.0 to be my default program for .pdf files. I have tried right clicking on the file in file explorer, clicking open with, and choosing Adobe 9.0 and selecting set as default app. However, once I go back to the file explorer and click on...
  4. Cannot change default program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default program: Hi All, I'll start this thread apparently for the umpteenth time, but none of the forum posts (and not just this forum's) I've read provided with a fix to this one. My Windows version number is 10.0.17763. I have a few Adobe CC 2020 programs installed (yes, with a genuine,...
  5. Cannot change default program for some extensions

Cannot change default program for some extensions: I cannot change the default "Open with..." program for some file extensions such as .mpeg or .mp4. The "Open with..." dialog appears but there is no "Always use this app for .mp4 files" checkbox. I can change the associations from the "Choose default apps by file type"...
  6. Changing Default Program for File Type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Default Program for File Type: Hi, I had downloaded a file with .kmfs extension. What I was to do, but did not know then, was to rename it as .exe and execute the program. But, I had renamed it as a .pdf thinking the file is ready to read. Now, I want to change the file type default as nothing, so I can...
  7. Change default program for file types

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change default program for file types: I'm unable to change my default file type for .ini files, .md, etc. I'm trying to use Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code. I've attempted it multiple times by going to the file and choosing the default as well as through Default Apps. Anyone know a fix for this? I'm on the...
  8. Change default program

Change default program: I just got a new computer. I always use Paint Shop Pro for my pictures. But I can't get Windows to open all pictures in it. I always have to go more steps. And even if I say to use Paint Shop as program - for sure next time I open a picture I get Windows photo app. Any idea...
  9. Change default program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change default program: Hi I have both OneNote2010 and OneNote2016 installed (because you must the whole 2016-office suite) but I just use the 2010 version After the last Windows update default program for (.one) has changed back to 2016 And I cant find the 2010 version to add How can you...
  10. Cannot set default program for .lnk files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot set default program for .lnk files.: My .lnk files will not open properly any longer. I know you can set the EXT back to explorer in 7. I go to Choose default apps by file type, and I still cannot select a program on my system. Is there a way to use the old Win 7 tool for this. (The right click -> open...