Windows 10: Cannot change location of Documents from C drive to D drive

Discus and support Cannot change location of Documents from C drive to D drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I want to change the location of "Documents" under "This PC" from the standard 'C:\Users\Guy\Documents' to 'D:\Documents'. The main reason being that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by spl1nternet, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Cannot change location of Documents from C drive to D drive

I want to change the location of "Documents" under "This PC" from the standard 'C:\Users\Guy\Documents' to 'D:\Documents'. The main reason being that the disk capacity of my C drive is quite small. I tried changing the location in properties for 'C:\Users\Guy\Documents' to 'D:\Documents' but I get this which tells me that 'C:\Users\Guy' is read-only....so is there something else I can try. I could setup a Library pointing to 'D:\Documents' I guess?

:)

spl1nternet, Aug 5, 2021

2. I changed my location for 'Documents' and now Drive D has the 'Documents' icon

I've always changed the location of Documents and Downloads to my 'Data' partition. I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and changed Documents location to drive D. Usually the icon for these two folders follows and displays on drive D.

Not sure why it didn't this time, but can you tell me how I can change these 2 folder icons? I know how to change icons, but I don't see these 2 icons in the list of Windows icons.

Thx.

ckbeme102598, Aug 5, 2021
  3. JREnglish Win User
    My Documents file location set to a second drive. Unable to change file location back.

After installing a second drive I wanted to change the file location of 'Documents'. To do this I went the file properties to change its location from a file on drive C to a file on drive D. However I accidentally select drive D itself instead of the file
    within it. Now I cannot change the location of 'Documents', nor can I restore its default location. When I attempt to do so I receive this message: "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under "D:\System Volume Information". Access is denied."

Looking for any help available.

JREnglish, Aug 5, 2021
  4. S_and_S Win User

Cannot change location of Documents from C drive to D drive

have 1.6 gB free on drive D but drive C is full so why won't it store on drive D: ????

Why won't the computer store or use the 1.7GB drive D ...

Permissions have no role to play here, and I really hope you did not alter the access control lists for your D: drive.

By default, all software stores its data in folders on the C: drive, because every computer has a C: drive (by convention) and a software developer can't know in advance whether any given computer will have additional partitions.

Most data must stay on the C: drive. That includes Windows itself and all components of Windows, including updates. However, your personal data (documents, music, etc.) can be moved to a different partition - like your D: drive - and you can set your D:
    drive to be the default location for all future data of the same type. The default location for your personal data must be an internal drive (so not a flash drive.)

You can move these personal data folders from C: to D: ( and it's easy to doCannot change location of Documents from C drive to D drive :)

Documents

Downloads

Music

Pictures

Videos

There are a few additional data folders that can be moved, but virtually all of your personal data likely resides in those folders. There are several ways to move your data, and I suppose everyone has their favorite method, so I'll show you one way.

Before you start, if you manually altered the permissions on your D: drive, do yourself a favor: backup everything you have on the D: drive to an external drive, then delete D: and re-create it. It will be created with the default permissions.

I'll start with the Documents folder -- C:\Users\your user name \Documents

1. Right-click on the folder and choose Properties from the context menu
    2. On the Location tab, change the drive letter in the box from C: to D:
    3. Don't change anything else.
    4. Click on the Move button. You'll be asked if you also want to move the contents of the Documents folder to the new location. Of course, you'll say 'yes.'
    (Windows asks that question because you can, if you wish, leave existing data on the C: drive and move all future data to the D: drive.)

After you click on the Move button, two things happen: 1) a new folder is created, namely D:\Users\your user name\Documents which is from now on the default location for all your documents, and 2) all your existing documents are moved to the new folder.

Do the same for the other folders.

You can also move the Desktop folder C:\Users\your user name\Desktop. What you see on the desktop is actually a combination of three separate folders, one of which you can move.

If you use Microsoft Office Outlook, you can move your message store (the .pst file) but you need to do that from within Outlook.

Don't try to move any other folders!

Now you can backup C: and D: independently. That's a huge advantage.

S_and_S, Aug 5, 2021
Thema:

Cannot change location of Documents from C drive to D drive

1. Cannot change location of Documents from C drive to D drive - Similar Threads - Cannot change location

2. Pc changed from D: drive desktop to C: drive desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc changed from D: drive desktop to C: drive desktop: 1 Hour ago i had a Blue Screen Of Death win32kbase.sys failed and said it was corrupted , after automatic repair was done , all my pc was changed to my Local disk C: folder instead of D: , like I was using a different desktop wwhere all my apps were On disk D: and now I am...
  3. Transferring 'Documents' folder/files from C to D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring 'Documents' folder/files from C to D drive: As the title says, I'm trying to move the folder to my D drive as my C drive has been rapidly losing storage not sure why, any tips on that? and so I wanted to free up space. Well, I was advised that I can redirect the 'documents' folder by right clicking the folder, going to...
  4. Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive

Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive: I have not been able to move my documents folder from my C drive, which is a solid state drive, to my D drive, which is a regular hard drive. I've tried going into the folder properties and changing the location, but it doesn't move. I do not have One Drive installed on my...
  5. Unable to Change Location of Documents Folder From C: Drive to D: Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to Change Location of Documents Folder From C: Drive to D: Drive: I followed instructions I found online to right click Documents, click on Properties, and change Location from C:\Users\Owner\Documents to D: I did that and got the message:The folder can't be moved here. Unexpected error from PerformRedirection The filename or extension is...
  6. Cannot Merge C drive with D drive.

Cannot Merge C drive with D drive.: While looking in my system files, I saw that my storage space was low, I went to disk management and took some Unallocated space out of my D drive Unused While I was trying to merge them, I realized that the button was only able to fill the D drive, My C drive was the OS one,...
  7. How do you MOVE Documents from C: Drive to D: Drive?

How do you MOVE Documents from C: Drive to D: Drive?: My computer is a hybrid of 256GB SS drive C: and an HDD 1 TB drive D:. All the data files have been saved to the C: drive so far, but now I have used up almost all of the 256GB. There is nothing on the D: drive. I want to move my Document folders and files, and Picture...
  8. I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D

I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D: I change the location path of my download system folder from drive C to drive D by right clicking the system folder, then I click theLocation tab, click the Move tab and I select the Drive D and then i clickedapply. And then it messed up. The Download icon now becomes a...
  9. Changing location of One Drive Pictures folders from a folder on c drive to d drive

Changing location of One Drive Pictures folders from a folder on c drive to d drive: I want the OneDrive to backup pictures from my d drive rather than my c drive. when I click location for my one drive pictures and try and change it I get the following error message Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same directory that can't be...
  10. Change "D" drive to "C" drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change "D" drive to "C" drive.: How do I copy all files on my "C" drive onto my current "D" drive (including bootup files and Windows 10), then change my "D" drive to "C" drive and my my old "C" drive to "D" drive?...