Windows 10: Cannot change network profile from Public to Private

Discus and support Cannot change network profile from Public to Private in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have searched and seen numerous posts about the latest builds of Windows 10 removing the easy way to change your network profile from Public to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AMorris76, Feb 2, 2019.

1. AMorris76 Win User

Cannot change network profile from Public to Private

I have searched and seen numerous posts about the latest builds of Windows 10 removing the easy way to change your network profile from Public to Private, and vice versa. I have tried both the Powershell (Admin) method and the registry change method. With both, the changes do not stick. Below is what I get when I run Powershell:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-NetConnectionProfile

Name : xxxxx 3
    InterfaceAlias : Wi-Fi 2
    InterfaceIndex : 20
    NetworkCategory : Public
    IPv4Connectivity : Internet
    IPv6Connectivity : NoTraffic

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 20 -NetworkCategory Private
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-NetConnectionProfile

Name : xxxxx 3
    InterfaceAlias : Wi-Fi 2
    InterfaceIndex : 20
    NetworkCategory : Public
    IPv4Connectivity : Internet
    IPv6Connectivity : NoTraffic

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I am on Windows 10 Home, Build 17134. I would appreciate any help the community can give to resolve this issue, hopefully without a full wipe and re-installation.

:)

AMorris76, Feb 2, 2019

2. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Feb 2, 2019
  3. Change Network Profile to Private From Public

Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing are already on for both the public and private profiles. Allow Windows to manage Homegroups is on for the private profile; it is not an option under public.

NancyMcFarland, Feb 2, 2019
  4. Cannot change network profile from Public to Private

Andre Da Costa, Feb 2, 2019
Thema:

Cannot change network profile from Public to Private

1. Cannot change network profile from Public to Private - Similar Threads - Cannot change network

2. Change the WSL network profile from public to private.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the WSL network profile from public to private.: using Windows insider build 22463Hi,I had a Problem with WSL a few days ago.I now figured out that the problem was that I had set the Windows firewall to block all connections incomming from a public network. Since this includes the WSL network, I wasnt able to do a DNS...
  3. Standard Users Unable to Change Network Profile from Public to Private

Standard Users Unable to Change Network Profile from Public to Private: My organisation has just started joining our endpoints to AAD using Endpoint Manager rather than using local AD. I have noticed since joining a device, standard users are unable to change the network profile from Public to Private, which they were able to do when connected to...
  4. How to change Ethernet network profile from public to private in Windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change Ethernet network profile from public to private in Windows: So Everything Ive Googled says go to settings --> network and internet --> Ethernet, then click on the Ethernet network name and change the toggle there. However, When i click on the Ethernet network name , all i get is Metered connection setting. Theres nothing about being...
  5. Cannot change network from public to private

Cannot change network from public to private: hello greetings from cloudy Scotland! I would like to ask community for help with network policy. I want to keep all PCs in private net but every time I reset PCs network changes from private to public. I tried to change network from public to private using admin account...
  6. Cannot change laptop network type from public to private

Cannot change laptop network type from public to private: Win10 ver 1803 laptop connected to router by ethernet cable. Network type is shown as public. Going through settings and clicking on the network should give a screen with the top section being 'network profile' but that section just isn't there. The first section is 'metered...
  7. Network changed from Private to Public

Network changed from Private to Public: I have windows 10 version 1803 now my wifi network connection shows public not private so I can not get to the internet. HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-changed-from-private-to-public/503943f0-a5e9-483e-b1ef-a964d4e99178
  8. Cannot change network location from public to Private - why

Cannot change network location from public to Private - why: I have extensively viewed the net for a solution, and have tried (as far as I know) every suggestion to make the change without success. Your comments/suggestions would be welcomed Thanks in advance 28681
  9. change network location from public to private

change network location from public to private: Hi guys I am running a laptop with windows 10 , so how do I change the network profile from public to private . thanks 86368
  10. Change Network from Public to Private

Change Network from Public to Private: So I have Windows 10 up and running...How do I change my home Wi-Fi from Public networks to Private? I also want to join my homegroup however cannot seem to figure it out.... Thanks 12023