Windows 10: Cannot change sound device

Discus and support Cannot change sound device in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I want to extend my display on a TV HDMI port and have the sound go to the TV. When I select the TV in the Sound Settings, it selects TV but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jim Hino, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Jim Hino Win User

Cannot change sound device

I want to extend my display on a TV HDMI port and have the sound go to the TV. When I select the TV in the Sound Settings, it selects TV but immediately changes back to speakers. When I go to Manage Sound Devices and test the TV output, the test sound can be heard on the TV .

Sound output to the TV worked before. Zoom output to the TV works properly but Zoom has its own sound control.

I am using Windows 10.

:)

Jim Hino, Sep 26, 2020
  2. cadaveca Win User

Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Cannot change sound device :p

cadaveca, Sep 26, 2020
  3. start up sound not changing

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The option to change the sound for Windows Logon and Logoff is ideally hidden from the list in Sound Options by default.

However, although not recommended, if you want the option for customization, you can make couple of changes in the registry to enable the option.

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to fix the issue.

Step 1

Registry modification

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully.
    For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows

1. Open the run command, type in regedit and hit
      Enter.
    2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/AppEvents/EventLabels/WindowsLogon.
    3. Open the WindowsLogon folder.
    4. Double click on ExcludefromCPL key.
    5. Change the value from 1 to 0. Click on OK

Step 2

1. Open the Control Panel > Sound > Click on
      Sound tab.
    2. Scroll down and select Windows Logon Entry.
    3. Click Browse to search your computer for a replacement sound.
    4. Shut down the device.
    5. Restart the device and check the status of the issue.

Please keep us updated about the status of the issue.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Sep 26, 2020
  4. Kem Mon Win User

unknown USB device

Hi Ali,

To better assist you, kindly provide some more information regarding the issue:

• When did the issue start?

• Were there any changes made before the issue occurred?

• Were there any error messages?

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We suggest that you run the
    Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
    and check if there are any changes. To run the
    Troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting
      and hit
      Enter.

• Choose
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on
      Hardware and Devices
      to run the
      Troubleshooter.

We'll be waiting for any updates regarding this matter.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot change sound device - Similar Threads - Cannot change sound

2. Windows 11 - Sound output cannot be change when bluetooth device connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Sound output cannot be change when bluetooth device connected: Hi, My Laptop occur a sound playback issue. Windows 11 cannot change the sound output device automatically when Bluetooth speaker connected. Settings>Bluetooth & devices showing the speaker is connected but the Sound Playback shows the speaker Disconnected any grey out the...
  3. Windows 11 - Sound output cannot be change when bluetooth device connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Sound output cannot be change when bluetooth device connected: Hi, My Laptop occur a sound playback issue. Windows 11 cannot change the sound output device automatically when Bluetooth speaker connected. Settings>Bluetooth & devices showing the speaker is connected but the Sound Playback shows the speaker Disconnected any grey out the...
  4. Windows 11 : cannot change the sound output

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 : cannot change the sound output: Hi,I have a Soundblaster X3 which has worked without any issues on the previous version of Windows.I upgraded for Windows 11 and I now have problems switching which device outputs my audio.Whenever I try to select a different output device than my Laptop's speaker, it...
  5. Windows 11 : cannot change the sound output

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 : cannot change the sound output: Hi,I have a Soundblaster X3 which has worked without any issues on the previous version of Windows.I upgraded for Windows 11 and I now have problems switching which device outputs my audio.Whenever I try to select a different output device than my Laptop's speaker, it...
  6. cannot change windows start up sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot change windows start up sound: Hello, I was trying to change Windows 10 start up sound using this guide https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-to-change-the-windows-10-startup-sound/and when I got to the part where you select the program event to change the sound, I couldn't find one that says windows...
  7. Change sound type device option

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change sound type device option: So, this is my issue I connected my wired headset and when the “identify my device” I clicked by mistake the wrong option and click the “remember this option. Is there a way I can revert it back? I can’t use my mic in my headset now....
  8. Cannot Change System Sounds

Cannot Change System Sounds: I change the sound in system sounds and the change saves, but the sounds triggered by the event do not change. I get the same chime for every event. I would like something different for new emails. Thanks....
  9. Cannot Change Default Playback Device

Cannot Change Default Playback Device: I did a fresh install of windows 10 pro from windows 7 and I'm already starting to hate myself. I open the playback devices tab under sound and click on my Siberia v2 illuminated headset and click set as default device and it does nothing. I can't disable my speakers or...
  10. cannot change default sound device

cannot change default sound device: i'm trying to play music through a bluetooth speaker. both the speaker and my laptop say that they are connected, but sound is only coming from the laptop speakers. so i check the default sound devices to see what's up, and i get this: [img] i am unable to check any...