Windows 10: Cannot Change System Sounds

Discus and support Cannot Change System Sounds in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I change the sound in system sounds and the change saves, but the sounds triggered by the event do not change. I get the same chime for every event.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JMSayles, Mar 28, 2020.

1. JMSayles Win User

Cannot Change System Sounds

I change the sound in system sounds and the change saves, but the sounds triggered by the event do not change. I get the same chime for every event. I would like something different for new emails. Thanks.

:)

JMSayles, Mar 28, 2020
  2. cadaveca Win User

Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Cannot Change System Sounds :p

cadaveca, Mar 28, 2020
  3. fireberd Win User
    Sound Quality

One thing that sticks out from looking at your "My Computer" specs. You list "ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)" which suggests you do not have the correct sound hardware driver. Your motherboard has Realtek sound and the first step is to install the Realtek sound drivers. My ASUS also came with Sonic Studio 2 which is a sound enhancement package. Check the ASUS install disc to see if you have something similar.

May not be a speaker problem.

fireberd, Mar 28, 2020
  4. Cannot Change System Sounds

start up sound not changing

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The option to change the sound for Windows Logon and Logoff is ideally hidden from the list in Sound Options by default.

However, although not recommended, if you want the option for customization, you can make couple of changes in the registry to enable the option.

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to fix the issue.

Step 1

Registry modification

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully.
    For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows

1. Open the run command, type in regedit and hit
      Enter.
    2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/AppEvents/EventLabels/WindowsLogon.
    3. Open the WindowsLogon folder.
    4. Double click on ExcludefromCPL key.
    5. Change the value from 1 to 0. Click on OK

Step 2

1. Open the Control Panel > Sound > Click on
      Sound tab.
    2. Scroll down and select Windows Logon Entry.
    3. Click Browse to search your computer for a replacement sound.
    4. Shut down the device.
    5. Restart the device and check the status of the issue.

Please keep us updated about the status of the issue.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

Cannot Change System Sounds

1. Cannot Change System Sounds - Similar Threads - Cannot Change System

2. Windows 11 : cannot change the sound output

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 : cannot change the sound output: Hi,I have a Soundblaster X3 which has worked without any issues on the previous version of Windows.I upgraded for Windows 11 and I now have problems switching which device outputs my audio.Whenever I try to select a different output device than my Laptop's speaker, it...
  3. Windows 11 : cannot change the sound output

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 : cannot change the sound output: Hi,I have a Soundblaster X3 which has worked without any issues on the previous version of Windows.I upgraded for Windows 11 and I now have problems switching which device outputs my audio.Whenever I try to select a different output device than my Laptop's speaker, it...
  4. cannot change windows start up sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot change windows start up sound: Hello, I was trying to change Windows 10 start up sound using this guide https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-to-change-the-windows-10-startup-sound/and when I got to the part where you select the program event to change the sound, I couldn't find one that says windows...
  5. Cannot change sound device

Cannot change sound device: I want to extend my display on a TV HDMI port and have the sound go to the TV. When I select the TV in the Sound Settings, it selects TV but immediately changes back to speakers. When I go to Manage Sound Devices and test the TV output, the test sound can be heard on the TV...
  6. Can't change the volume of system sound and brightness

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change the volume of system sound and brightness: For a few weeks now whenever I get a notification Windows blasts of my ears with a ping because despite lowering system sounds volume it does nothing and the same goes for screen brightness. submitted by /u/szqk [link] [comments]...
  7. Changing system sounds in Windows 10

Changing system sounds in Windows 10: Hello everyone, I want to change the system sounds from Windows. But I have a question: Changing these sounds can cause damage to my Windows? <Modified Title to read sounds instead of spunds for clarification purposes>...
  8. i cannot use the keyboard to change the sound system & alo the brightness

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i cannot use the keyboard to change the sound system & alo the brightness: I cannot use the keyboard properly to change the sound system & also the brightness. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/i-cannot-use-the-keyboard-to-change-the-sound/2e3d9a19-22b5-49c3-b22f-76f8aaa0c34c
  9. cannot change default sound device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cannot change default sound device: i'm trying to play music through a bluetooth speaker. both the speaker and my laptop say that they are connected, but sound is only coming from the laptop speakers. so i check the default sound devices to see what's up, and i get this: [img] i am unable to check any...
  10. Cannot disable system notification sounds...

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot disable system notification sounds...: Hi everyone, I'm having annoying problem, since I hate system sounds, I have them always disabled... Last times however (after some "fantastic" auto-update propably) windows changes my "no sound" scheme to "default windows sounds" every reboot. Any ideas?? 44511