Windows 10: Cannot change the default app for txt documents - broken windows

Discus and support Cannot change the default app for txt documents - broken windows in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello people. See the video I made, I cannot get Windows 10 to save my chosen text reading app as default. It works on my other systems. Is this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by fredphoesh, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Cannot change the default app for txt documents - broken windows

Hello people.

See the video I made, I cannot get Windows 10 to save my chosen text reading app as default.

It works on my other systems. Is this some sort of lame limitation on windows Home edition?

https://videoblurb.com/mp/default-apps-not-working-windows-10.webm

PS I also noticed that windows was telling me it was making Groove Music and Paint default app for certain video and image files without my consent! I had Irfan and VLC as default previously. So darn annoying.

Thanks

Mark.

:)

fredphoesh, Nov 12, 2018

2. When i click on a txt file it print by default.

• Have you made any recent changes or applied updates before this issue occurred?
    I cant pin point to any one change. Several changes were recently made to this PC. I dont know when it started.

• Is this only isolated to .txt files or there are other files that don't show the default action?
    Its just txt

• What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    Windows 10 Pro

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    tired to find the solution on the internet.. cant find one for windows 10

Gerald Talley, Nov 12, 2018
  3. Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

No, that > bla.txt is the target file to write to. You could use a wildcard in the argument, ie c:\windows\*.txt which would list all dlls in c:\windows. But adding that to a simple right-click would be tricky.

Basically you would execute fancyfile.bat c:\windows\*.txt, fancyfile.bat would then write all .txt files to bla.txt.

DanTheBanjoman, Nov 12, 2018
  4. Cannot change the default app for txt documents - broken windows

When i click on a txt file it print by default.

Hi Gerald,

Based on the details that you have provided, certain changes with the default action when clicking a .txt file may be caused by registry modification or other changes made to your PC settings. To help us identify the solution to your concern, we'd like to
    gather additional information. Please answer the following:

• Have you made any recent changes or applied updates before this issue occurred?
    • Is this only isolated to .txt files or there are other files that don't show the default action?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    We look forward to your response.

Jennifer Cha, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

Cannot change the default app for txt documents - broken windows

1. Cannot change the default app for txt documents - broken windows - Similar Threads - Cannot change default

2. Cannot change default app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default app: I am having a lot of frustrations with Win 11- if this is how Win 11 is, i would not have updated.I could not change the default app that Windows assigned to my files. Previously I could go to settings/default app & then just select the file type that I want the default app...
  3. Cannot change default app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default app: I am having a lot of frustrations with Win 11- if this is how Win 11 is, i would not have updated.I could not change the default app that Windows assigned to my files. Previously I could go to settings/default app & then just select the file type that I want the default app...
  4. Cannot Change Default Documents Directory in Windows 10

Cannot Change Default Documents Directory in Windows 10: EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED!I just installed a fresh install of Windows 10 to get rid of the horrible Windows 11 and have not been able to change the default Documents directory to my second 2 TB hard drive. I was able to change all other defaults to the D:\ drive.It was initially...
  5. Cannot Change Default Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Change Default Apps: Suddenly I cannot change what apps are defaulted to open.1 I change it in settings, it shows it has changed, but ignores the change and opens with the original app always.2 "Open With" pops up a list of apps. It used to be that if I selected "Choose another app", I got a...
  6. Cannot Change Default Apps

Cannot Change Default Apps: Suddenly I cannot change what apps are defaulted to open.1 I change it in settings, it shows it has changed, but ignores the change and opens with the original app always.2 "Open With" pops up a list of apps. It used to be that if I selected "Choose another app", I got a...
  7. Can't set/change default app on .txt files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't set/change default app on .txt files: This started a few days ago and I reinstalled Windows earlier in the hopes that would fix it, but it didn't. I have no idea what caused this, either- Certain files, in particular any that can open in notepad (or sublime 3, as I prefer), just shows up as a blank icon and asks...
  8. Cannot change default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change default apps: Windows 10 Education Version 1803, OS build 17134.345 I cannot change the default apps for opening files with the extensions .ai and .R. I have checked the obvious stuff, such as creating a new user profile, restarting the PC, trying to change it via Open with... - nothing...
  9. Cannot change Windows default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change Windows default apps: I've seen this posted elsewhere but none of the solutions have worked for me so far. I have several files for which Windows 10 refuses to change the default app. I have tried numerous methods for doing this but none work. This is happening on *two* of my computers (both my...
  10. Cannot change App Defaults

Cannot change App Defaults: I cannot change any of the App Defaults. Is there a solution for this? First, I don't like Edge and want to change the browser, but windows 10 will not change the default. Another default is for email. I want Outlook 2016 but, again can't change it. that is just 2 of many....