Windows 10: Cannot change the start value data in Registry Editor

Discus and support Cannot change the start value data in Registry Editor in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So, I bought my pc a few weeks ago and I recently realized windows isn't updating itself. I looked up in services and found "wuauserv" to disabled. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/taddepressed, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Cannot change the start value data in Registry Editor

So, I bought my pc a few weeks ago and I recently realized windows isn't updating itself. I looked up in services and found "wuauserv" to disabled. I tried to start the Windows Update Service from there but it stops itself after starting. Then, I ran Registry Editor as administrator. I found the start value data for "wuauserv" set to 4. I changed it to 2 and hit ok. But when I come back to the same value I see it set to 4 and as one would expect the update service is still disabled. Can anyone help me find the solution? This is driving me crazy. Will a windows repair installation fix this problem?

submitted by /u/taddepressed
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/taddepressed, Oct 29, 2020
  2. Frogger Win User

Modded Registry. Want Old Back....

did you try this

To restore the registry
    Open Registry Editor.
    Click Options, and then click Print to print these instructions. (If you are using the Help and Support Center, click Print above the topic area.) They will not be available after you shut down your computer in step 2.
    Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
    In the list, click Restart, and then click OK.
    When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.
    Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
    NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then press ENTER.
    Caution

Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on your computer.
    Notes

To open Registry Editor, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Choosing Last Known Good Configuration provides a way to recover from problems such as a newly added driver that may be incorrect for your hardware. It does not solve problems caused by corrupted or missing drivers or files.
    When you choose Last Known Good Configuration, Windows restores information in registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet only. Any changes you have made in other registry keys remain.

Frogger, Oct 29, 2020
  3. YanAndrew Win User
    Various Folders' Default Icon Value Data in Registry Editor

Hi Guys,

I hope I've posted this in the correct channel.

Basically, I'm after the default icon's value data for four folders in the registry editor. I stupidly removed them without copying them down whilst customising their icons. For example, Control Panel has the following CLSID and Default Icon Value Data:

Control Panel 5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0 %SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-27

The folders in question are:

Folders CLSID Default Icon's Value Data
    Desktop folder {B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}
    Documents folder {A8CDFF1C-4878-43be-B5FD-F8091C1C60D0}
    Downloads folder {374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}
    Pictures folder {3ADD1653-EB32-4cb0-BBD7-DFA0ABB5ACCA}
    Appreciate your help on this.

Thank you,
    Andrew

YanAndrew, Oct 29, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Cannot change the start value data in Registry Editor

Registry Editor Values are not getting listed

Hi Sridhar

Not all Registry entries will exist on all systems, and sometimes, you need to make a change on your PC for a registry key/value to be created

Since you cannot see VisualFXSetting then that value does not exist on your system for one of the above reasons

You can manually create that entry - right click an empty space in the right pane, choose new DWORD, set its name to VisualFXSetting then double click that and set its value data to 3 (that's its default value)

DaveM121, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

Cannot change the start value data in Registry Editor

1. Cannot change the start value data in Registry Editor - Similar Threads - Cannot change start

2. Registry Editor Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT "Default" Value Data Original?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Editor Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT "Default" Value Data Original?: I messed with the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT "Default" file and I tried to put it as exefile but that was not the original. The original "Value Data" had some underscores and I cant remember what it was. I can't open any app even snip to show what I mean. It opens then after about a...
  3. Registry Editor Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT "Default" Value Data Original?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry Editor Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT "Default" Value Data Original?: I messed with the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT "Default" file and I tried to put it as exefile but that was not the original. The original "Value Data" had some underscores and I cant remember what it was. I can't open any app even snip to show what I mean. It opens then after about a...
  4. Registry Editor Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT "Default" Value Data Original?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Editing registry data value with CMD

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing registry data value with CMD: hey all , i need to edit a registry value data without overwriting the previous one , i just want to add a string for example and not to change the entire value , and it needs to be we the command prompt , i hope i was clear with my question ill appreciate any help 173859
  6. RegSetValueExW failed to write value name and value data to registry

in Windows 10 Customization
    RegSetValueExW failed to write value name and value data to registry: RegSetValueExW Unicode version of function failed to write the value name and value data to registry in windows 10. The value name contains more than 1000 characters,value data contains 16,000 characters. RegSetValueExW function return returns ERROR_SUCCESS but the value...
  7. Cannot modify ImagePath value data from Registry Editor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot modify ImagePath value data from Registry Editor: Hello! I'm trying to edit a registry key but it keeps having an error that says: [ATTACH] I tried changing permissions, it now looks like this: [ATTACH] It's still not working. I don't know what else to do. Help! Thanks for the answers!...
  8. Cannot modify ImagePath value data from Registry Editor

Cannot modify ImagePath value data from Registry Editor: Hello! I'm trying to edit a registry key but it keeps having an error that says: [ATTACH] I tried changing permissions, it now looks like this: [ATTACH] It's still not working. I don't know what else to do. Help! Thanks for the answers!...
  9. Registry Editor Values are not getting listed

Registry Editor Values are not getting listed: Hello, I wanted to read the registry values for example VisualFXSetting,But in the registry editor it is not visible image attached for reference. I have to run my read application in both admin and non admin rights Machines,Kindly help me is there any other way to read...
  10. Various Folders' Default Icon Value Data in Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Various Folders' Default Icon Value Data in Registry Editor: Hi Guys, I hope I've posted this in the correct channel. Basically, I'm after the default icon's value data for four folders in the registry editor. I stupidly removed them without copying them down whilst customising their icons. For example, Control Panel has the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. troubleshoot cant modify HKey values of wuaserv