Windows 10: Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter

Discus and support Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to create a new partition inside Windows 21H1 for a new Macrium backup until I can later get a large enough USB stick (in addition: I want both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Airider, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Airider Win User

Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter

I want to create a new partition inside Windows 21H1 for a new Macrium backup until I can later get a large enough USB stick (in addition: I want both internal and external storage). I did take some unallocated space from C:/ -- cannot have storage destination in C.\ or any other disks being backed up! -- which is more than large enough for this but the only choice Windows offers is the Simple Volume Wizard which does not allow me.

:)

Airider, Jun 13, 2021

2. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Jun 13, 2021
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (CCannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Jun 13, 2021
  4. MrGenius Win User

Not Getting Able to Merge Drive with Unallocated Space!

You should be able to right click on partition I:, in Disk Management, and select Extend volume... to add the unallocated space to partition I:. It should be as simple as that. You can't "merge" unallocated space with a partition, because unallocated space is not a partition. To "merge" 2 things those things need to be the same type of thing.

And no, it's not illegal to copy files to another drive.

MrGenius, Jun 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter - Similar Threads - Cannot change unallocated

2. Cannot extend drives from unallocated space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot extend drives from unallocated space: Hello, i have 2 unallocated volumes but i can only extend from the 582 GB one.The 93 GB one doesnt wanna extend into the D: volume or the C: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-extend-drives-from-unallocated-space/9c96d0fc-23fc-4fdf-b892-49efbac43947
  3. Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot change unallocated space into partition with drive letter: I want to create a new partition inside Windows 21H1 for a new Macrium backup until I can later get a large enough USB stick (in addition: I want both internal and external storage). I did take some unallocated space from C:/ -- cannot have storage destination in C.\ or any...
  4. Unallocated space on C drive

Unallocated space on C drive: I have an old laptop from 2010 (Acer Aspire 5740G-6395) that I had put to the side last year because my employer bought me a new laptop and the Acer was taking 10-15 minutes to boot. When I became aware of the low price of SSDs, for a tinkering project I picked up a 120gig...
  5. Extend partition that is next to unallocated space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extend partition that is next to unallocated space: So I have a 250 GB D: drive 50 GB E: drive and I want to extend the E: drive. Problem is when I shrink the D: drive I cannot extend the E: drive since it comes after the unallocated space. The only way I see this possible is to make a partition F: copy all data from E: to F:...
  6. Disk Partition Unallocated Space

Disk Partition Unallocated Space: [ATTACH]Hi team, I recently tried installing windows 7 and during installation, I got the message that Windows can't get installed on the selected disk due to MBR style. I converted the MBR style to GPT style by allocating 100Gb to selected Disk 0. Now after...
  7. sub-partition unallocated space in partition on hard drive using Windows 10, change format...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sub-partition unallocated space in partition on hard drive using Windows 10, change format...: Can I create a partition within "unallocated space" on an already partitioned hard drive? How do I change the format of a partition to NTFS?...
  8. Drive letters are not available for assigning to unallocated space

Drive letters are not available for assigning to unallocated space: Hi, I have the following odd situation... Introduction: I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on one of my PC's. I used the iso of v1709 (Windows 10 Fall 2017) because that was the latest iso I had available on CD. In the mean time the PC upgraded to v1803 (Windows 10...
  9. Combine Unallocated space to System Partition

Combine Unallocated space to System Partition: Greetings all, I had 2 useless partitions, one at the very beginning of my HD and the second at the very end. My setup is GPT Basic btw. I would like to know, using MiniTool Partition Wizard version 9.1, if it is possible to merge these former partitions (now...
  10. Merging Unallocated Space with Primary Partition

Merging Unallocated Space with Primary Partition: After I free upgraded from 8.1 to 10 a new partition showed up. I just deleted it and it became unallocated space. How can I merge this space with my primary partition. Both are on a 256 SSD. When I right click C: in disk management, the extend volume choice is...