Windows 10: Cannot change video default app

Discus and support Cannot change video default app in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Installed software has change my default app for playing video. I have tried every possible way through the UI to make the change, but each time I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Perrorist, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Perrorist Win User

Cannot change video default app

Installed software has change my default app for playing video. I have tried every possible way through the UI to make the change, but each time I select another app, there's a pause and then the screen goes black.

Can an app lock this setting? If so, short of removing the app, how do I get around this problem?

:)

Perrorist, Apr 7, 2020
  2. jacobacci Win User

Changing default app won't stick

Hi all
    I am trying to give Windows Photo Viewer all its (file extension) defaults

I have tried two ways to set Windows Photo Viewer as default:

Control Panel / Default Programs / Set your default programs / Windows Photo Viewer
    Whatever I do, windows does not let me assign more that two defaults to Windows Photo Viewer. e.g. jpg cannot be assigned.

Cannot change video default app [​IMG]

Setting / System / Default apps
    When I click Photo Viewer chose a default, a list pops up, but it does not contain Windows Photo Viewer.

Cannot change video default app [​IMG]

Also I tried to set jRiver as the default for Video Player. It does appear in the list and I can select it in the list, but it will not appear as the default Video Player.

If I chose Photos as the Photo Viewer app, it appears as the default for both Photo Viewer and Video Player.

Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong here?

jacobacci, Apr 7, 2020
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Choosing Default Apps & Insider Programme

To resolve your concern, kindly choose the default apps by file type. To do this, follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Choose System.
    • Select Default apps.
    • Click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Check all of the video file type, and then check if you can change the default app to your preferred application.
    After performing the steps, kindly share with us the result

Argel Obm, Apr 7, 2020
  4. Cannot change video default app

How can I change the default video player to something that isnt in the list of suggested programs

I want to change the default win10 video player to something that isnt in the list of suggested programs.

JohnSmithQR, Apr 7, 2020
Thema:

Cannot change video default app

1. Cannot change video default app - Similar Threads - Cannot change video

2. Cannot change default app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default app: I am having a lot of frustrations with Win 11- if this is how Win 11 is, i would not have updated.I could not change the default app that Windows assigned to my files. Previously I could go to settings/default app & then just select the file type that I want the default app...
  3. Cannot change default app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default app: I am having a lot of frustrations with Win 11- if this is how Win 11 is, i would not have updated.I could not change the default app that Windows assigned to my files. Previously I could go to settings/default app & then just select the file type that I want the default app...
  4. Cannot change default apps in settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  5. Cannot change default apps in settings

Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  6. Cannot Change Default Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Change Default Apps: Suddenly I cannot change what apps are defaulted to open.1 I change it in settings, it shows it has changed, but ignores the change and opens with the original app always.2 "Open With" pops up a list of apps. It used to be that if I selected "Choose another app", I got a...
  7. Cannot Change Default Apps

Cannot Change Default Apps: Suddenly I cannot change what apps are defaulted to open.1 I change it in settings, it shows it has changed, but ignores the change and opens with the original app always.2 "Open With" pops up a list of apps. It used to be that if I selected "Choose another app", I got a...
  8. Cannot change default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change default apps: Windows 10 Education Version 1803, OS build 17134.345 I cannot change the default apps for opening files with the extensions .ai and .R. I have checked the obvious stuff, such as creating a new user profile, restarting the PC, trying to change it via Open with... - nothing...
  9. Cannot change Windows default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change Windows default apps: I've seen this posted elsewhere but none of the solutions have worked for me so far. I have several files for which Windows 10 refuses to change the default app. I have tried numerous methods for doing this but none work. This is happening on *two* of my computers (both my...
  10. Cannot change App Defaults

Cannot change App Defaults: I cannot change any of the App Defaults. Is there a solution for this? First, I don't like Edge and want to change the browser, but windows 10 will not change the default. Another default is for email. I want Outlook 2016 but, again can't change it. that is just 2 of many....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. twinui default apps fix