Windows 10: Cannot change where games are installed

Discus and support Cannot change where games are installed in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I am trying to change the hard drive where Xbox games pass apps are installed. When I attempt to do this, I get error code 0x800700005. How can I fix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Harry Taylor, May 25, 2020.

1. Cannot change where games are installed

I am trying to change the hard drive where Xbox games pass apps are installed. When I attempt to do this, I get error code 0x800700005.

How can I fix this?

:)

Harry Taylor, May 25, 2020

2. installing a game

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.
    We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Please try the steps given below and check if the issue persists:

Step 1:

I suggest you to right click on the game and try to run as administrator and check.

Step 2: if that doesn't help I suggest you to install game in compatibility mode and check:

Follow the steps below on how to install game in compatibility mode:

1. Download the game from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the game and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the game install and then check the functionality.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Venkatesh1709, May 25, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    unable to re install game error code 0x80070426

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• How exactly are you downloading game eg Store or browser?
    • Which game are you trying to download?
    • Are you able to install other games and apps?

I suggest you to install the game software in Compatibility mode by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

Before installing the game in compatibility mode, I suggest you to delete all the game related files present in the system and proceed with the steps below.

Step 1: Compatibility mode runs the program in the current version of Windows using the settings from previous version of Windows.

• Locate and right-click on the game setup file on your PC and click on
      Properties.
    • Click on the compatibility tab, check the box
      Run this program in compatibility mode for
      , select Windows 10 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done,
      restart the computer for the effective changes to take place.

Step 2: Also refer the link below.

Why can't I find or install an app from the Windows Store?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/why-find-install-app-windows-store

Applies to Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, May 25, 2020
  4. Cannot change where games are installed

Unable to install a game on Windows 10.

Hello Garrett,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

From the above description, I understand you are unable to install the game on your computer.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Are you the administrator of the user profile?
    • What is the error message/error code you get on trying to install the game on computer?
    • Did you check if the game is compatible with the current operating system?

You may be facing the above issue due to the incompatibility of the game software with the current operating system on your computer.

I suggest you to install the game software in Compatibility mode by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

Before installing the game in compatibility mode, i suggest you to delete all the game related files present in the system and proceed with the steps below.

Step 1: Compatibility mode runs the program in the current version of Windows using the settings from previous version of Windows.

• Locate and right-click on the game setup file on your PC and click on
      Properties.
    • Click on the compatibility tab, check the box
      Run this program in compatibility mode for
      , select Windows 10 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done,
      restart the computer for the effective changes to take place.

Step 2: You can also follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

c. Check if the issue is resolved.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, May 25, 2020
Thema:

Cannot change where games are installed

1. Cannot change where games are installed - Similar Threads - Cannot change where

2. Cannot change game priority

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change game priority: I am trying to change priority of a game in windows 10 but it keeps showing access denied. I went to properties and gave full control to administrator but that did not work either and when I tap ok and go on properties again it changes from administator and I dont know how I...
  3. Cannot change where new content is installed

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cannot change where new content is installed: So I bought Forza Horizon 5 and wanted to install it on my computer but I can't because it tells me there's not enough space on my C: drive although I already changed where new content should be installed and I even tried changing it back to the C: drive and then back to the...
  4. Cannot change where new content is installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change where new content is installed: So I bought Forza Horizon 5 and wanted to install it on my computer but I can't because it tells me there's not enough space on my C: drive although I already changed where new content should be installed and I even tried changing it back to the C: drive and then back to the...
  5. Cannot change where new content is installed

6. How to change where microsoft store installs games/apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change where microsoft store installs games/apps?: I am trying to download forza horizon 5 123gb and it said that I needed to free up drive space but I wanted to install it to a different drive. I found a different page which told me how to change default save locations and it did not work. I keep getting the same "free up...
  7. How to change where microsoft store installs games/apps?

How to change where microsoft store installs games/apps?: I am trying to download forza horizon 5 123gb and it said that I needed to free up drive space but I wanted to install it to a different drive. I found a different page which told me how to change default save locations and it did not work. I keep getting the same "free up...
  8. Change default location of where Xbox app install games

in Windows 10 News
    Change default location of where Xbox app install games: [ATTACH]Games take a lot of space, and if you are running out of space on the System Drive, then here is how you can change the default location of where the Xbox App installs games. You will have to take a two-step approach to set it up, but once done, you will not have to...
  9. Cannot change where games are installed on Microsoft Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cannot change where games are installed on Microsoft Store: Hello, I am trying to install a game I just bought on Microsoft Store, however my C drive is full and Microsoft store does not give me the option to pick my D drive. I went into settings and changed the default drive that apps install to to my D drive, but it still does not...
  10. Cannot install games on different drive or change where new apps are saved

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot install games on different drive or change where new apps are saved: Hello, when I tried reinstalling Forza Horizon 4 on my PC today after a reset the blue 'install' button doesn't seem to work see image. I have tried changing the standard location where new apps are saved from my C drive to my D drive but then get an error with the error code...