Windows 10: Cannot change Windows default apps

Discus and support Cannot change Windows default apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've seen this posted elsewhere but none of the solutions have worked for me so far. I have several files for which Windows 10 refuses to change the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by onebigatomicbore, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Cannot change Windows default apps

I've seen this posted elsewhere but none of the solutions have worked for me so far. I have several files for which Windows 10 refuses to change the default app. I have tried numerous methods for doing this but none work.

This is happening on *two* of my computers (both my home laptop and work desktop). In both cases, the problem began after a clean install of Windows 10. When I attempt to change the default app for a few different kinds of files, Windows completely ignores this attempt and continues using the original default app.

I would be very grateful if someone could please help with this.

:)

onebigatomicbore, Oct 14, 2018

2. Cannot change the default apps by using control panel

Original Title: Cannot change default apps.

As said, I cannot change the default apps by using control panel > ... > Default Apps tab.

I cannot change any of the default programs. I use paint.net to edit/view photos and I cannot set it to the default program even though it is on the list, it does not change and i'm stuck with the default photo viewer. This happens with any other app actually,
    I cannot change the default music player there, nor browser or anything.

I followed these steps as suggest by a microsoft engineer, post 2, and later on, no avail.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/989ef723-b81b-46a3-896b-a0f111b8fa7a

I refuse to use work arounds, I'd like a proper solution is possible, thank you.

RodrigoDrt, Oct 14, 2018
  3. Windows10 Keeps Changing my Default Apps

Hi Carol,

There is a certain option in Settings where you can change the default apps for a specific file type. For example, your .psd file can be opened by a certain app as a default while the other file types can be opened by a different app. You can manually change
    it by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + I.
    • Select Apps, and then Default apps.
    • Select Choose default apps by file type.
    • From there, scroll down to the file type that you want to change the default app.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Oct 14, 2018
  4. kormath Win User

Cannot change Windows default apps

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Cannot change Windows default apps :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

Cannot change Windows default apps

1. Cannot change Windows default apps - Similar Threads - Cannot change default

2. Cannot change default app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default app: I am having a lot of frustrations with Win 11- if this is how Win 11 is, i would not have updated.I could not change the default app that Windows assigned to my files. Previously I could go to settings/default app & then just select the file type that I want the default app...
  3. Cannot change default app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default app: I am having a lot of frustrations with Win 11- if this is how Win 11 is, i would not have updated.I could not change the default app that Windows assigned to my files. Previously I could go to settings/default app & then just select the file type that I want the default app...
  4. Cannot change default apps in settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  5. Cannot change default apps in settings

Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  6. Cannot Change Default Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Change Default Apps: Suddenly I cannot change what apps are defaulted to open.1 I change it in settings, it shows it has changed, but ignores the change and opens with the original app always.2 "Open With" pops up a list of apps. It used to be that if I selected "Choose another app", I got a...
  7. Cannot Change Default Apps

Cannot Change Default Apps: Suddenly I cannot change what apps are defaulted to open.1 I change it in settings, it shows it has changed, but ignores the change and opens with the original app always.2 "Open With" pops up a list of apps. It used to be that if I selected "Choose another app", I got a...
  8. Cannot change video default app

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot change video default app: Installed software has change my default app for playing video. I have tried every possible way through the UI to make the change, but each time I select another app, there's a pause and then the screen goes black. Can an app lock this setting? If so, short of removing the...
  9. Cannot change default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change default apps: Windows 10 Education Version 1803, OS build 17134.345 I cannot change the default apps for opening files with the extensions .ai and .R. I have checked the obvious stuff, such as creating a new user profile, restarting the PC, trying to change it via Open with... - nothing...
  10. Cannot change App Defaults

Cannot change App Defaults: I cannot change any of the App Defaults. Is there a solution for this? First, I don't like Edge and want to change the browser, but windows 10 will not change the default. Another default is for email. I want Outlook 2016 but, again can't change it. that is just 2 of many....