Windows 10: Cannot chkdsk on hard drive.

Discus and support Cannot chkdsk on hard drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I got a new hard drive and plugged it in correctly, but it locks me out. when I try to do a chkdsk in command prompt it says: "Access Denied as you do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OwenKluempke, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Cannot chkdsk on hard drive.

I got a new hard drive and plugged it in correctly, but it locks me out.
    when I try to do a chkdsk in command prompt it says:

"Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or
    the disk may be locked by another process.
    You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode
    and make sure the disk is unlocked."

I have tried doing a chkdsk in admin mode aswell nothing has worked, any help will be greatly appreciated.

:)

OwenKluempke, Jan 13, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Hard drive error

Hi,

This issue could be due to corrupted system file(s), faulty Hard disk drive or
    no power to the drive. We would like to know some information to better isolate the issue:

• Have you done any changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting hard drive's SATA cable and power cable?
    • Have you tried running CHKDSK command? CHKDSK command scans disk for errors.
    • What type of disk drive are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, Jan 13, 2019
  3. Copied file takes 2x hard drive space

Hi,

Thanks for the update on the issue.

I suggest you to run chkdsk on the disk to check the hard drive for errors. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Press Start button.
    • Type cmd. Right click on the command prompt and select "Run as Administrator"
    • Type the following command and hit enter.
    chkdsk /f /r

Note: If you get a prompt o continue upon restart, press Y and hit enter.

Refer:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730714.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available
    on that might be lost

Hope this information was helpful.

Sahil Bali, Jan 13, 2019
  4. Cannot chkdsk on hard drive.

External Hard Drive Problems

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the update.

I suggest you to run Check disk and check if it helps:

Check disk is a utility that can check your hard drive for corrupted segments and fix them. You can refer to these steps to run the Check disk utility:

• Press Windows key + X, select “Command promt (Admin)”.
    • In the command prompt window, type “chkdsk/r” and press Enter.
    • Press “Y” when it asks if you want to check disk to run when the computer boots the next time.
    • Restart the computer for Check disk to detect and repair any corrupted sectors in your hard drive.

Important: While performing Error-checking or ChkDsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found and when attempting to repair that sector, the data available on that sector might be
    lost.

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further. Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Jan 13, 2019
Thema:

Cannot chkdsk on hard drive.

1. Cannot chkdsk on hard drive. - Similar Threads - Cannot chkdsk hard

2. Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition: Hello,My first problem is that i run powershell with admin rights and ran chkdsk f: /f /r . I thought it would restart pc after that but no, just started running chkdsk until now, so i could access the disk. Now, after about 3 hours total progress is 0%, but in phase 2, is...
  3. Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition: Hello,My first problem is that i run powershell with admin rights and ran chkdsk f: /f /r . I thought it would restart pc after that but no, just started running chkdsk until now, so i could access the disk. Now, after about 3 hours total progress is 0%, but in phase 2, is...
  4. Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. CHKDSK cannot repair my drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CHKDSK cannot repair my drive: Hello, Windows is currently detecting problems on one of my hard drive. I tried several time to repair it with the basic windows option but it is still damaged according to windows. In fact, when I try to repair and restart the computer it doesnt even seems to look for any...
  6. CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive: Hi - could an external hard drive get damaged when CHKDSK is running and the computer is shutdown is performed from the Start menu or by pressing the power button? Background: I suspect a process was running when a 1T WD passport with 670 GB of data became disconnected...
  7. How to Safely Stop CHKDSK /f of External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to Safely Stop CHKDSK /f of External Hard Drive: Dear TenForums, I have been unable to access my external harddrive for some time, why I chose to run CHKDSK /f. Unfortunately, I believe that the drive is fully corrupted since the check has now lasted 24 hours and is only at 2 percent (Please see screen dump from promt). I...
  8. Norton said to run chkdsk for errors found on hard drive!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Norton said to run chkdsk for errors found on hard drive!: Running Windows 10 Home Edition version 1903 build# 18362.900. I received a Norton yellow ! icon in my taskbar to check the performance of my computer. It said I had errors and to run chkdsk. I ran cmd as an administrator and it found a lot of errors in read only mode but...
  9. Hard Drive Bad Sectors found by WD Data Lifeguard but not by chkdsk

Hard Drive Bad Sectors found by WD Data Lifeguard but not by chkdsk: Hi all Here's the story... I had 2x 3TB HDD's in my NAS drive that was reporting that one of them had bad sectors, this was confirmed by Western Digital's HDD Utility tool, so I replaced it. I've reformatted it and hooked it up via a USB caddy and ran chkdsk on it but...
  10. Hard disk failed and chkdsk?

Hard disk failed and chkdsk?: I have a disk that mainly contains data files. My disk have bad sectors and some of the files cannot be moved to another disk (it will stuck when moving and never complete 100%), most files are still normal (can read/edit/move). My Macrium reflect software is unable to do a...