Windows 10: Cannot clean install Win 10 UEFI mode (Toshiba Satellite C75A)

Discus and support Cannot clean install Win 10 UEFI mode (Toshiba Satellite C75A) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When you attempted the clean install the bios was in uefi. Had you tried to clean install in legacy? Can you create a brand new windows 10 iso to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by charles999, Jan 2, 2018.

1. zbook New Member

Cannot clean install Win 10 UEFI mode (Toshiba Satellite C75A)

When you attempted the clean install the bios was in uefi.
    Had you tried to clean install in legacy?
    Can you create a brand new windows 10 iso to perform the clean install?

When you power on the computer what do you see?
    When the clean install failed how did you retrieve the panther log?

zbook, Jan 23, 2018

2. see first post - can install in CSM / legacy bios
    Have created sevearl Win 10 isos
    logs retrieved by booting from Win PE USB

charles999, Jan 23, 2018
  3. zbook New Member
    Some o the problems in the log were related to product ID and language. But if you can perform a clean install in legacy I 'm puzzled why there were problems in UEFI with these reported events.
    What would happen if you use Macrium to clone another computer and restore on this drive?
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials

zbook, Jan 23, 2018
  4. Cannot clean install Win 10 UEFI mode (Toshiba Satellite C75A)

Ive got an HP but if I clone that to a Toshiba I'll get an assortment of problems - incompatible motherboard, display, hardware, drivers etc etc etc + licensing issues. I suppose I could try just to see if it boots

charles999, Jan 23, 2018
  5. zbook New Member
    zbook, Jan 23, 2018
  6. I can install Win 10 in legacy / CSM mode no problem at all.
    I then tried running MBR2GPT.EXE:
    /Validate option tells me it will work ok
    When I run it it trashes something and the disk wont boot (CSM or UEFI)
    I've run it from Win PE and Win 10 neither option works

As its an oldish laptop (nearly 5 yrs) i'll just install in CSM mode and use it as a backup. What is strange is that it originally came with Win 8 in UEFI mode and a few updates later was running Win 10 UEFI

Thanks for trying to help

charles999, Jan 23, 2018
  7. lx07 Win User
    You could try installing it manually.

Boot from PE (for example this Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums). You'll need another USB with the Windows installer on it.

1. Partition the disk (EFI, MSR, C, recovery) like you had in post #1 (except that was for Windows 8 not 10 and recommended order has changed - not that it matters really)
    Code: rem == CreatePartitions-UEFI.txt == rem == These commands are used with DiskPart to rem create four partitions rem for a UEFI/GPT-based PC. rem Adjust the partition sizes to fill the drive rem as necessary. == select disk 0 clean convert gpt rem == 1. System partition ========================= create partition efi size=100 rem ** NOTE: For Advanced Format 4Kn drives, rem change this value to size = 260 ** format quick fs=fat32 label="System" assign letter="S" rem == 2. Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition ======= create partition msr size=16 rem == 3. Windows partition ======================== rem == a. Create the Windows partition ========== create partition primary rem == b. Create space for the recovery tools === shrink minimum=500 rem ** NOTE: Update this size to match the rem size of the recovery tools rem (winre.wim) plus free space ** rem == c. Prepare the Windows partition ========= format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows" assign letter="W" rem === 4. Recovery tools partition ================ create partition primary format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery tools" assign letter="R" set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac" gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001 list volume exit[/quote] UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions | Microsoft Docs

2. Copy EFI stuff to ESP Code: W:\Windows\System32\bcdboot W:\Windows /s S:[/quote] (check drive letters obviously)

3. Install Windows Code: dism /Apply-Image /ImageFileCannot clean install Win 10 UEFI mode (Toshiba Satellite C75A) :D:\install.wim /Index:1 /ApplyDir:W:\[/quote] You can think about recovery partition later (but it is all in same link here as steps 2 and 3 above)
    Capture and Apply Windows, System, and Recovery Partitions | Microsoft Docs)

If the issue is installing in UEFI mode rather than booting it then this will work. Considering it booted in 8 it should boot in 10 also as nothing changed afaik.

I did the same except I ran the steps above and installed Windows while the disk was in a external USB enclosure on a second PC and then physically removed the disk and put it in my laptop. It worked fine and started up from the OOBE stage (where it asks you your user name and so on).

It wouldn't take long to try (half an hour I guess) but if it doesn't work running CSM isn't that bad really. It won't run slower or anything.

8. Cannot clean install Win 10 UEFI mode (Toshiba Satellite C75A)

Hi Guru, thanks. It's not 100% clear
    Step 2 - I get error - "BFSVC error - could not open the BCD template store. Status = [c000000f]
    Step 3 - do I create the image file from an existing working Windows installation?

charles999, Jan 25, 2018
  9. lx07 Win User
    No from an installation ISO you download from Microsoft.
    I got the steps 2 and 3 backwards but they were correct in the link Capture and Apply Windows, System, and Recovery Partitions | Microsoft Docs

1. Partition drive with previously mentioned script - this assigns letter W to new Windows, S to System and R to recovery.
    2. Apply (using DSIM) windows image (install.wim) from ISO to W volume.
    3. Then use bcdoot.exe (from W volume) to apply system files to S volume (defined in step 1).
    Code: W:\Windows\System32\bcdboot W:\Windows /s S:[/quote] It is explained in more detail in link above. Sorry for the confusion.

10. thanks. I believe the latest Win 10 ISO uses a "install.esd" not a *.WIM file? I came accross this earlier in my endeavours

charles999, Jan 25, 2018
  11. lx07 Win User
    Depends where you get it I think. In any case if you have esd use that. Something like this if your installer USB has been assigned the letter D Code: dism /Apply-Image /ImageFileCannot clean install Win 10 UEFI mode (Toshiba Satellite C75A) :D:\Sources\install.esd /Index:1 /ApplyDir:W:\[/quote] One other thing, the /Index:n specifies what edition of Windows to install. You can check which index is which edition like this - make sure you apply Home or Pro correctly. Code: PS C:\Temp> dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:e:\sources\install.wim Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.16299.15 Details for image : e:\sources\install.wim Index : 1 Name : Windows 10 Home Description : Windows 10 Home /EA Size : 16,071,950,070 bytes Index : 2 Name : Windows 10 Pro for Workstations Description : Windows 10 Pro for Workstations Size : 16,156,718,191 bytes The operation completed successfully. PS C:\Temp>[/quote] I'm pretty sure this works the same for install.esd but I only have .wim

12. erpster4 Win User
    have you also installed/updated the BIOS before clean installing Win10 in UEFI mode for the Toshiba C75a laptop, charles? latest BIOS version for C75A seems to be 1.60.

on the North American Toshiba support site, there are two specific models for C75A, which are C75-A7120 and C75-A7390.

I haven't done a clean install of Win10 on my dad's Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A5306 laptop (mid-2013 model), which originally came with Win8.1 Core/Home edition and upgraded it to Win10 Home a few years ago; the BIOS was upgraded (to v1.80 for the Toshiba C55Dt-A laptop model only) long before I upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10. If I wanted to upgrade to the Pro edition of Win10, I'd pay extra for that license.

erpster4, Jan 26, 2018
  13. Cannot clean install Win 10 UEFI mode (Toshiba Satellite C75A)

Thanks the latest applicable BIOS for my Tosh Sat C75 version is 1.3 tried 1.6 but it wouldn't load, just got message that it was not for my machine.
    I'll stick with CSM/legacy mode now. I'm pretty sure it's all down to the age of the laptop and maybe a not too great BIOS

charles999, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot clean install Win 10 UEFI mode (Toshiba Satellite C75A)

1. Cannot clean install Win 10 UEFI mode (Toshiba Satellite C75A) - Similar Threads - Cannot clean install

2. Toshiba laptop satellite

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toshiba laptop satellite: When I start it up it goes to hdd/ssd screen abd ask for password I can't remember it and I have no disc for recovery how can I get past this screen is there a way?...
  3. Resetting Toshiba Satellite

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting Toshiba Satellite: How do I reset my Toshiba Satellite Windows XP laptop to factory? I’ve tried pressing & holding the “0” while clicking it on but the Warning screen will not appear only the login screen will every time I tried, I need Help please…MzKatt...
  4. Clean install in UEFI mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install in UEFI mode: Hi I am about to receive the bits to upgrade my husbands PC from a simple desktop machine to what the PC Gamer site assures me is a high end gaming machine. However, in the process I want to take the opportunity of also upgrading to a UEFI system from MBR but I'm a little...
  5. Toshiba Satellite Win 10 compatibility

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Toshiba Satellite Win 10 compatibility: Hello, I installed W10 Pro on an older Toshiba Satellite laptop. Everything went OK but I am having trouble connecting to my home network. When I bring the laptop close to the router it detects it and connects automatically, but when I move away to the next room, it loses...
  6. After Win 10 Build 18363 install, my Toshiba Satellite laptop is stuck in "Repair Mode" on...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Win 10 Build 18363 install, my Toshiba Satellite laptop is stuck in "Repair Mode" on...: Not sure what to try here. I am a person who keeps my computer up to date, and this is the second time something potentially horrible has happened with this laptop after a Windows update. The last time, I had to have my hard drive replaced and had to reinstall everything....
  7. Toshiba satellite windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Toshiba satellite windows 10: f9 & f10 don't control sound up and down since small crash HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toshiba-satellite-windows-10/991b5441-2cfe-4b00-88b6-5bd837be5119
  8. Toshiba satellite overheating

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Toshiba satellite overheating: My L55-A laptop is turning also 70+ C when cpu load up to 100%. But it is no dust, also i have cooling fan, but still happen when exposed the cpu to 100% also it turns 75 C and above when this load is so long(I'm using also third party CoreTemp and windows Task Manager). So i...
  9. Win 10 on Toshiba Satellite inaccessible

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 on Toshiba Satellite inaccessible: I ran a FixMeStick and quarantined several items, then when I restarted the computer, I got an error of press any key after inserting boot media (paraphrasing). I couldn't get into safe mode or get back to the last known good configuration. It's like the operating system...
  10. How to get into safe mode on Toshiba satellite

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get into safe mode on Toshiba satellite: Does anyone know how to get into safe mode on a toshiba satellite. Black/blue screen with solid cursor after creator update fail. F8 is disabled by default in windows 10, so please do not suggest anything that requires win 10 to be working. 89516