Windows 10: Cannot click inside File Explorer Search Bar or Start Menu Search Bar in Windows 10 v2004

Discus and support Cannot click inside File Explorer Search Bar or Start Menu Search Bar in Windows 10 v2004 in Cortana to solve the problem; I noticed yesterday that I could not click inside the Search Bar on the taskbar the default "Type here to search" remains when I click inside the... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by apwilliams87, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Cannot click inside File Explorer Search Bar or Start Menu Search Bar in Windows 10 v2004

I noticed yesterday that I could not click inside the Search Bar on the taskbar the default "Type here to search" remains when I click inside the field, as well as the Search Bar in File Explorer, so I cannot do any searches. Cortana seems to still work but I really don't ever use it.

Troubleshooting steps I have taken so far:

• Restarted Windows Search service
    • Re-indexed Start Menu Search took several hours
    • Rebooted PC
    • Ran the ResetWindowsSearchBox.ps1 script provided by Microsoft
    • Ran Search and Index Troubleshooter no issues found
    • Ran CCleaner and fixed all registry issues
    • Checked for any notable recent Windows Updates
      • Upgraded to v2004 on 8/13, and Search was working as of 8/31
      • There were 2 driver updates installed yesterday for Realtek Semiconductor Corp MTD and INTEL System, so I found them in Device Manager and rolled back all drivers that matched the new version 5 total
    • Checked for new Windows Updates none available
    • Verified Region is correct
    • Verified Date/Time is correct
    • Verified all Windows Security components are active

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

:)

apwilliams87, Sep 4, 2020

2. No Search Bar in Start Menu

Hello,

My start menu has no search bar. I looked this up on the forum, and one answer was to go into Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> check mark the box for 'Windows Search' -> Reboot.

Problem 1: 'Windows Search' is not on my list of Windows items that can be turned on or off.

Where is the search bar?

Problem 2: I need the search bar to find the Snipping Tool!

Thanks Cannot click inside File Explorer Search Bar or Start Menu Search Bar in Windows 10 v2004 :)

Jon Chelberg, Sep 4, 2020
  3. Search Broken after v2004 Feature Update

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix search being broken after v2004 feature update?

- File Explorer unable to type anything in the search bar

- Windows/ Start Menu unable to type anything to search

- Search Icon/Bar unable to type anything or respond when click

- Start Menu unable to scroll down (will restart the start menu if attempt to scroll down on it)

Thank you!

Help Please ~, Sep 4, 2020
  4. Cannot click inside File Explorer Search Bar or Start Menu Search Bar in Windows 10 v2004

How to clear the search record at the search bar on Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience happened. We are glad to help you.

Please share this:

• Which search bar are you referring to?

• Is it the search bar in file explorer or the search bar on desktop (cortana and search)?
    If you are referring to the search bar in file explorer, I suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if it helps:
    (to delete a specific entry)

• Open File Explorer.

• Click/tap inside the Search box, then select (highlight) the search suggestion (ex:
      ttt) that you want to delete, and press the Delete key.

• You will not notice that it has been deleted.

• Repeat if you would like to delete another one.

To clear all search entries, follow this:

• Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, then
      run it.

Clear_Search_History_in_File_Explorer.bat

2. If prompted, click/tap on Run.

NOTE: If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by
    unblocking

the downloaded .bat file

3. You will now notice a command prompt quickly open and close while applying the changes to your registry.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

Cannot click inside File Explorer Search Bar or Start Menu Search Bar in Windows 10 v2004

1. Cannot click inside File Explorer Search Bar or Start Menu Search Bar in Windows 10 v2004 - Similar Threads - Cannot click inside

2. Windows 10 - Cannot type in search bar and file explorer search

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - Cannot type in search bar and file explorer search: Hey,My windows 10 search bar bottom left and file explorer search bar are both not working properly, I cannot type into these boxes, however, I can copy and paste into them by right click and then paste but NOT by ctrl+v. I have tried many fixes for this but I am yet to find...
  3. Search Bar in file explorer and in start menu isn't working

in Cortana
    Search Bar in file explorer and in start menu isn't working: I noticed that the search bar in the start menu and in the file explorer isn't working 2 weeks from using the clipboard feature Windows+V on two of my devices which makes my life so hard, I can paste text in it but can't type in it I did the power shell solution it worked for...
  4. Cannot access search bar in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot access search bar in start menu: I cannot access the search bar in the start menu. Additionally, the multiple desktops icon on the taskbar is no longer available. This bug started yesterday, updating and restarting did not fix it. I would go to the searchbar, type in "microsoft feedback", and download the...
  5. windows 10 start menu search bar

in Cortana
    windows 10 start menu search bar: Hello, i recently installed windows 10 on my new computer and have noticed that the search bar doesnt work, whenever I use the search bar it only gets to about 3 letters, freezes then closes after about 10-15 seconds if anyone could explain why this is happening or howIi...
  6. [SOLVED] Cannot click inside File Explorer Search Bar or Start Menu Search Bar in Windows...

in Cortana
    [SOLVED] Cannot click inside File Explorer Search Bar or Start Menu Search Bar in Windows...: I noticed yesterday that I could not click inside the Search Bar on the taskbar the default "Type here to search" remains when I click inside the field, as well as the Search Bar in File Explorer, so I cannot do any searches. Cortana seems to still work but I really don't...
  7. SearchUI.exe is nowhere to be found and my Start menu search / file explorer search bar...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SearchUI.exe is nowhere to be found and my Start menu search / file explorer search bar...: Happened today, pressed the window key and began typing to search for something...until a few keystrokes later i was still on the start menu. Then i clicked the specific search menu magnifying glass icon and nothing happens. SearchUI.exe doesn't appear on taskmgr under the...
  8. No Search Bar in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Search Bar in Start Menu: Hello, My start menu has no search bar. I looked this up on the forum, and one answer was to go into Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> check mark the box for 'Windows Search' -> Reboot. Problem 1: 'Windows Search' is not on my list...
  9. Start Menu Search Bar

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Bar: Prior versions of windows allowed me to hit the handy-dandy start-menu button, type a document name in the search bar, and recent documents I pulled up with the search words would show up - the charm of that feature was that I could close a document or spreadsheet confident...
  10. Start Menu Search Bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Search Bar: [ATTACH] I messed up something and now when ever i type something in the start menu search bar, i see a preview pane like something (containing open,open file location,pin to start,pin to taskbar)beside the search results.I don't want my search bar like this, i want my...