Windows 10: Cannot click on icons in start menu, or some windows apps

Discus and support Cannot click on icons in start menu, or some windows apps in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've been looking around for a solution for about an hour now - all I can find are problems relating to the mouse not working at all, or the start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Fortified, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Fortified Win User

Cannot click on icons in start menu, or some windows apps

I've been looking around for a solution for about an hour now - all I can find are problems relating to the mouse not working at all, or the start menu not opening at all. My issue is that my mouse works in every way except inside the start menu. I've also noticed that I can't click on anything after I hit Ctrl + Alt + Del, I had to use the keyboard to open the task manager earlier, but when I got the task manager open, it worked fine. Also, the start menu icons recognize that I am mousing over them - the borders highlight, the mouseover dialog pops up if relevant, but clicking on anything doesn't work.

I am using the Etekcity Scroll Alpha gaming mouse, if that helps. It's a wired USB mouse.

I ran some commands in the command prompt earlier - "sfc /scannow", something ending in "/restorehealth", and an extremely long PowerShell command. I wish I could be more specific but I can't find the commands again.

I tried looking for updated drivers, everything appears to be up to date. I also ran across a suggestion to update the chipset software, but I can't find anything at all released for Windows 10 and when I ran their utility to find the driver for you, it seemed to confirm that.

I upgraded from Windows 10 a few days ago and until I woke up this morning and woke up my PC from Sleep mode, the start menu worked perfectly. I tried restarting the PC after running the commands I mentioned earlier, problem persisted.

Totally out of ideas here, I've exhausted my not-so-extensive computer knowledge and any help at all would be so great. Thanks.

:)

Fortified, Oct 23, 2015
  2. Zzzag Win User

Cannot right-click on *some* icons on desktop

New Observation:

I am not sure whether or not this symptom has been present all along without mine noticing it, or whether it is related to (or a result of) trying the Methods 1&2, as suggested by Rakesh, but I have now noticed that every time I attempt a right-click on
    a folder icon, including on the "Recycle Bin", "This PC", etc. icons, the START button/icon in the Task Bar will be disabled.

Left-clicking the START button does not produce any result. Right-clicking on the START icon will produce a menu identical to the Win+X key combination.

The START button comes back active if I reboot the computer. (I have to do this by right-clicking, then following the "Shut Down or Sign Out" command.)

Thank you for your assistance!

Zzzag, Oct 23, 2015
  3. Zzzag Win User
    Cannot right-click on *some* icons on desktop

Hello Rakesh,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. This is my home computer and I just haven't had a chance to dedicate time to fix it until today.

I rand the SFC according to your instructions in your
    Method 1. At the end, after "verification 100% complete" displayed, I received the following message:

"Windows Resource Protector found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing
    scenarios."

I placed the CBS.Log file, available for download, if useful: CBS.log

After completing your suggested
    Method 1, I proceeded to try Method 2. I ran the
    "scanhealth" command. It deployed Image Servicing and Management tool Version 10.0.10240.16384.

At the end of the process, when it showed 100% completed, I had the following message:

"The component store is repairable.

The operation completed successfully.

Error: 0x80010108

The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.

An error occurred closing a servicing component in the image.

Wait a few minutes and try running the command again.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

I waited a few minutes and ran the command again. I received the same message.

The contents of the DISM.log file after running the "scanhealth" command twice can be downloaded from here:
    dism.log

After running the "scanhealth" command twice, I proceeded with running the
    "restorehealth" command.

At the end of the "restorehealth" process, when 100% of the process was completed, I received the following message:

"Error: 0x800f021f

The source files could not be found.

Use the source option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

the object invoked has disconnected from its clients.

An error occurred closing a servicing component in the image.

Wait a few minutes and try running the command again.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

I waited a few minutes and ran the command again, only to receive the same message. The dism.log file, after running the "restorehealth" command twice (just in case any changes might have occurred that would be relevant to you), can be downloaded from
    here: dism-after Restorehealth.txt .

I read the instructions online, as indicated in the message, but--to be honest--I have no idea what I am supposed to do further. (The contents of the document are way too technical for an average chap like myself.)

I re-booted the computer, applied the latest updates, and there is no improvement. (Actually, at one point when I wanted to reboot the computer, the START menu did not work. I had to CTRL+ALT+DEL it...)

I would greatly appreciate any other advice you might have. The problems here are so crippling that the computer is rendered virtually useless. I hope a fix is possible, so that I don't have to roll back to Win 7...

Thank you.

Zzzag, Oct 23, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

If there is no Windows 10 driver for the chipset, try latest Windows 8 or 7 drivers directly from Intel/AMD. Are your mouse buttons working as expected? It could be that you swapped the left and right buttons. See mouse and touchpad settings in control panel.

spapakons, Oct 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Cannot click on icons in start menu, or some windows apps - Similar Threads - Cannot click icons

2. Start menu missing right click menu options as well as app logos for some apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu missing right click menu options as well as app logos for some apps: Having this issue with Windows 10 running on a HP Z Book laptop.When I right click on some programs/apps in the start menu and windows search, the only option that appears is to pin or unpin it from the start menu. Additionally, any program which is missing the normal right...
  3. Start menu missing right click menu options as well as app logos for some apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu missing right click menu options as well as app logos for some apps: Having this issue with Windows 10 running on a HP Z Book laptop.When I right click on some programs/apps in the start menu and windows search, the only option that appears is to pin or unpin it from the start menu. Additionally, any program which is missing the normal right...
  4. Start menu missing right click menu options as well as app logos for some apps

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Can't click on the start menu - Windows Icon -

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't click on the start menu - Windows Icon -: Hello,I'm facing these problems below:I can't left or right click the start menu Windows Icon + I can't right click the apps that is running on the taskbar + I can't use the search bar + I can't open windows settings even with Win Key + i + I can't open Microsoft StoreI've...
  6. Can't click on the start menu - Windows Icon -

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't click on the start menu - Windows Icon -: Hello,I'm facing these problems below:I can't left or right click the start menu Windows Icon + I can't right click the apps that is running on the taskbar + I can't use the search bar + I can't open windows settings even with Win Key + i + I can't open Microsoft StoreI've...
  7. Can't click on the start menu - Windows Icon -

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Icons for some apps not showing on start menu [Image]

Icons for some apps not showing on start menu [Image]: Hi some of the app icons that I have are not showing up on the start menu when I search for them. Please see attached image. This is not happening for all apps but a couple of them: Spotify, Skype, Microsoft Edge. The app appears on the taskbar, but its not showing up on the...
  9. Can't Click on Start Menu Apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Click on Start Menu Apps: When I open the start menu and try to search for something/click on something it doesn't do anything. After restarting, sometimes it doesn't even let me click on the windows button at all (I can still open it with the windows key.) I've seen a lot of threads on this but...
  10. Some apps dimmed on start menu

Some apps dimmed on start menu: I've just noticed that some of the tiles on the start menu are dimmed and the corresponding names in the list have a gray bar underneath them. What does this mean? The apps themselves seem to work correctly. See picture. Calendar, mail and calculator are affected. [ATTACH]...