Windows 10: Cannot clone or image failing drive - how to proceed?

Discus and support Cannot clone or image failing drive - how to proceed? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS studio 9100 (close to 10 years old!). This afternoon I got a bluescreen of death. I rebooted and was greeted with a bios screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by bidoowee, Dec 30, 2018.

1. bidoowee Win User

Cannot clone or image failing drive - how to proceed?

I have a Dell XPS studio 9100 (close to 10 years old!). This afternoon I got a bluescreen of death.
    I rebooted and was greeted with a bios screen showing the SMART status of the 1.5TB boot drive is bad.
    I had to disabled SMART checking in the BIOS in order to be able to boot the machine again and am trying to proceed with a backup. I have file history and EaseUS file level backups but no recent images which I can restore so I have been trying to clone the drive to avoid having to re-install a lot of software.

A clone operation using EaseUS failed with no explanation.
    I tried Macrium Reflect which at least showed me what it was doing before it too failed. There are three partitions on the drive: a small OEM utilities partition, a 16GB Recovery Partition and the main C: Partition. The first two partitions cloned correctly but the clone operation on the main drive fails with the suggestion to run Code: chkdsk /r[/quote] chkdsk /r hangs at 11%. I stopped it after four hours...

Following some other suggestions I ran Disk Cleanup (oddly it showed 0 bytes to recover). Then, using elevated PowerShell I ran:

Code: sfc /scannow[/quote] That fails at 37% complete with the error: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

So I am wondering what the best plan is.

1 - keep trying to repair the damaged drive so that it can be cloned or imaged.
    2 - find another way to clone the damaged drive without repairing it first (given that it boots and works just fine [for now at least]).
    3 - fresh install of windows on a new drive and then migrate.

Any thoughts on the problem, suggestions as to which approach to take and how to execute it would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

b

:)

bidoowee, Dec 30, 2018
  2. OOLuigiOo Win User

Failing HDD and Cloning

You seem intend on this install clean install windows when I have said windows does not run on that drive and TeraCopy doesn't even budge anymore.
    for moving files from that drive. Then there are those that have suggested imaging and 1 or 2 that talked about cloning software.

I now have 3 HDDs left...

So nothing is copying, no cloning and imaging, now what?

OOLuigiOo, Dec 30, 2018
  3. RejZoR Win User
    Failing HDD and Cloning

Programs like Tera Copy can be useful for such tasks since they provide faster copying and they have a list of processed files. If it fails, you know instantly what file failed and you can also resume or restart file copy/move operations. Tera Copy is a free program so give it a try.

Cloning is for drives that are in perfect mechanical/electronic condition but have a corrupted partition or parasitic virus infection. You clone the drive and then you can repeatedly perform data salvaging tasks without the risk of degrading data and making it unrecoverable forever. If recovering fails, you just restore the drive and start all over.

Something you can't afford on failing drives, because they will interrupt the data cloning process. And when it fails, you have to do it all over again.

RejZoR, Dec 30, 2018
  4. Cannot clone or image failing drive - how to proceed?

Failing HDD and Cloning

Physical damage then? If not even a software that is designed to skip over bad sectors can get what you're looking for then maybe that's it for this drive? I'm sure that there are experts on data retrieval out there that can take a shot at it but it's not guaranteed that they'll get anything out of it.

Did you try to just copy some files one at a time to see if the drive cooperates, as suggested? This old 320GB drive wouldn't copy folders but would do the contents of the folders one at a time.

tabascosauz, Dec 30, 2018
Thema:

Cannot clone or image failing drive - how to proceed?

1. Cannot clone or image failing drive - how to proceed? - Similar Threads - Cannot clone image

2. Cannot clone or image drives, or create restore points Volsnap and VSS errors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot clone or image drives, or create restore points Volsnap and VSS errors: Hello all, after days of doing research and what seems like countless attempts to fix I'm at a complete loss. I wanted to update my hard drive from a SATA ssd to a M.2 so I have both drives installed booting to the SATA drive. I initially tried to use Macrium Reflect to Clone...
  3. Cannot clone or image drives, or create restore points Volsnap and VSS errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot clone or image drives, or create restore points Volsnap and VSS errors: Hello all, after days of doing research and what seems like countless attempts to fix I'm at a complete loss. I wanted to update my hard drive from a SATA ssd to a M.2 so I have both drives installed booting to the SATA drive. I initially tried to use Macrium Reflect to Clone...
  4. Cannot clone or image drives, or create restore points Volsnap and VSS errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot clone HDDSystem drive to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot clone HDDSystem drive to SSD: I tried to clone my HDD drive to brand new SSD drive by using Macrium Rreflect.During the cloning it requested access to new driveSSD and it failed.. Afterwards the message "unable to match partition - Drive 0, Start Sector 50620416 - MFT corrupt" appeared. After own a disk...
  6. Cloning vs Imaging boot drive upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning vs Imaging boot drive upgrade: Hi everyone. I just received a Sabrent 1tb Rocket gen 4 nvme to replace my 500gb Samsung EVO ssd boot drive. Now I've done this once already when I replaced my sata hdd with the EVO and I think I cloned the boot drive, but I don't remember which software I used. I think it...
  7. Cannot clone drive to smaller drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cannot clone drive to smaller drive: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 Installed on 10/14/2020 OS build 19041.572 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0 I have used Minitool Partition Wizard for several clone jobs. Never had a problem up to now. The thing different is now I am cloning a...
  8. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  9. Image or clone the hard drive? Best option?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Image or clone the hard drive? Best option?: Would appreciate your help! *Confused Have a Toshiba Satellite L655 laptop (one morning the laptop with Windows 7 upgraded itself to Windows 10). Would like to use Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of its hard drive. Have no clue whether I need an image or whether I...
  10. cloning / imaging

in Windows 10 Support
    cloning / imaging: Can I clone/ image win 10 to a thumb drive? 77647